Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix USB connection issues

CurveBound

This weekend a problem with connecting my Helix to my Macbook developed.  

When connecting via usb, the computer will throw up a error message saying something on the lines of "usb function disabled to lack of power. Unplug unit responsible"

I thought it might have been the computer first, but no problems with using other USB devices.

Last night, it was able to remain connected long for HX Edit to do a backup. I will do a factory reset tonight and reload my profiles.

Anyone here ever USB issues with the Helix?

2 hours ago, CurveBound said:

Anyone here ever USB issues with the Helix?

Really?

Are you serious?

Start here!

Then find a witch doctor or someone who understands the voodoo involved with USB, or click on  question mark in the black dot in the lower right hand corner of this page and follow the link named “USB Connection Issues” under the Common Product FAQ heading. 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, datacommando said:

Really?

Are you serious?

Start here!

Then find a witch doctor or someone who understands the voodoo involved with USB, or click on  question mark in the black dot in the lower right hand corner of this page and follow the link named “USB Connection Issues” under the Common Product FAQ heading. 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

thank you for the Passive-aggressiveness and link sharing. Just the help I needed.

• 2 weeks later...

IT System engineer here.

I was having issues with my Macbook pro and Helix USB connection after upgrading to 3.11, though the symptoms were not exactly the same.  I would get a message that the connection to my Helix was lost after a couple minutes of it being connected.  Uninstalling Helix Edit, then re-installing fixed that issue.

If you're getting a message about power though.  I'd do the following:

• Replace the USB cable.  (Should always first step for these types of issues)
  • If you are using a USB dock/expander, don't.  These often do not properly supply full power to connected USB cables.  Run the USB cable direct from the Macbook Pro USB to the helix.  If the problem goes away, that's you issue.  If you need to use a dock because of Apple's idiotic preference to provide as few ports as possible on a laptop, you may need to try a couple different ones before you find one that works properly.  They can be very hit or miss, though you should have better luck with any docks that supply their own power (as opposed to docks that just pass on power from the mac USB port)..  
  • If your macbook only has USB C/Thunderbolt, make sure to use an official apple USB C/Thunderbolt cable.  Many aftermarket USB C cables suffer from a big problem with power delivery as the specs for data are different than for power and many usb C cables on the market only implement the data side specs.
  • Finally, if you are using an add-on adapter to convert (say from USB C -> USB B, or USB A -> USB B), don't.  Buy a cable that has the proper terminations on both ends (ie a USB A->B cable).  Adapters can also sometimes introduce power issues while still processing data correctly.
  • Upvote 2