Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Question about running helix floor through powered monitor.

johneric8

I know many prefer FRFR,  but as of right now I have a 15 inch harbinger vari v2315.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger/VARI-V2315-15-Powered-Speaker-with-Bluetooth-Black-1500000259899.gc?source=4WWMWXGL&storeCode=&source=4WWRWXGL&gclid=CjwKCAjw-sqKBhBjEiwAVaQ9a8qY4hV7ywn11m10DiulnDC3RiLRxu2H9-UKuRicbgXz0cLznaUEFBoCqFwQAvD_BwE

I know many of you hate this brand,  but for now this is what I have and I have to say it sounds amazing except for I'm trying to find the best settings..   I will probably go FRFR at some point but for now I'm trying to figure out best settings,  and I just don't want to totally trust my ears here...     I'm connecting the mono out 1/4 inch from the helix to the 1/4 inch to the harbinger channel 1.  I have the helix's quarter inch output set to instrument and have the harbinger's channel 1 set to guitar.    The harbinger has three choices,   mic,  guitar and line...  the guitar setting on the harbinger seems to be the right setting to me with the harbinger set to instrument.    

I guess I have two questions.
1.  are these settings the right call for my own personal monitor? 
2.  I have everything set to flat,  but how should I run the channel gain and master?  should i turn the master on monitor all the way up and use the channel knob as my main volume?  what is generally the best way to run these?     Also,   is it okay for me to turn up the low end a little on these monitors?  running it flat I seem to be missing just a hair of low end,  I would love to turn up that bass just a hair to suit my ears better..   I guess I don't want dial in tones with the bass up a bit and then have it sound bad going to board...   I know I can send different signals to FOH,  but at this point I want to be happy as I can be with my sound on stage...   

Any advice is appreciated..   

2 hours ago, johneric8 said:

I know many prefer FRFR,  but as of right now I have a 15 inch harbinger vari v2315.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger/VARI-V2315-15-Powered-Speaker-with-Bluetooth-Black-1500000259899.gc?source=4WWMWXGL&storeCode=&source=4WWRWXGL&gclid=CjwKCAjw-sqKBhBjEiwAVaQ9a8qY4hV7ywn11m10DiulnDC3RiLRxu2H9-UKuRicbgXz0cLznaUEFBoCqFwQAvD_BwE

I know many of you hate this brand,  but for now this is what I have and I have to say it sounds amazing except for I'm trying to find the best settings..   I will probably go FRFR at some point but for now I'm trying to figure out best settings,  and I just don't want to totally trust my ears here...     I'm connecting the mono out 1/4 inch from the helix to the 1/4 inch to the harbinger channel 1.  I have the helix's quarter inch output set to instrument and have the harbinger's channel 1 set to guitar.    The harbinger has three choices,   mic,  guitar and line...  the guitar setting on the harbinger seems to be the right setting to me with the harbinger set to instrument.    

I guess I have two questions.
1.  are these settings the right call for my own personal monitor?

Well typically you'd have the Helix outputs at line level, with the inputs on the speaker expecting the same. An  instrument level signal is almost nothing in terms of output.... it's not "wrong", per se...as long as both the incoming and outgoing devices are on the same page. But it would be a little odd and is certainly not standard practice. You're not plugging an instrument directly into the Harbinger, so why carry on as if that were the case?

2.  I have everything set to flat,  but how should I run the channel gain and master?

You'll get 1000 different opinions on this one... and all will be presented as if they were Gospel. Personally I'd leave the Harbinger's volume at noon and adjust your level from the Helix master volume knob... if for no other reason than simplicity. Unless you don't mind having to reach around to the back of your stage monitor every time you want turn up or down.. which will get old real quick, that much I guarantee, lol. Ymmv...

Also,   is it okay for me to turn up the low end a little on these monitors?  running it flat I seem to be missing just a hair of low end,  I would love to turn up that bass just a hair to suit my ears better.

This is 100% subjective... if you think it lacks low end,  then adjust accordingly. Just bear in mind that as you turn up louder the lows become more prominent, and too much bass = mud... but ultimately only your ears can tell you what to do. We can't hear you from here...

I guess I don't want dial in tones with the bass up a bit and then have it sound bad going to board...   I know I can send different signals to FOH,  but at this point I want to be happy as I can be with my sound on stage...

You can always route a separate path to the board, EQ'd however you wish.

• Upvote 1

To what cruisinon2 said, I would only add:

Keep the speaker vertical, preferably on a SHORT stand - around chest (not ear) level. This prevents bass coupling and allows for the widest hi-freq dispersion.

Use whatever "Voicing" sounds best, with the speaker EQs set FLAT. Adjust as necessary for the room (if not using Global EQ for that, or in conjunction, as required).

This is not a big deal, but unless I was running a separate out to FOH from Helix, I'd use an XLR cable - sturdier connection, balanced, better noise rejection.

Not a big deal unless you're getting a lot of noise on a specific stage. You can always use the 1/4" to a DI to FOH (most sound guys will have spare DIs if you don't have one).

Again, not a big deal, just something to think about.