Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

background noise problem - helix lt

MauroDave

hi, I have a strange problem with the helix lt.

I hear such a problem in the headphones. when I select a preset, when I'm not playing an annoying background sound is heard like: "trrrrrrrrrrr" but it disappears while I play and then comes back when I stand with my fingers still! 

it's the same problem as a few weeks ago.
then a user advised me to move the wifi net extender and the problem was gone!
after two normal weeks today this problem again (but the wifi is now far away!)!
if I move to other positions with the guitar the problem disappears, but every 2 weeks I can't look for different positions to put myself!
any solution?
(I have already tried different pick ups and different sockets!)
thank you very much to everyone

how is it possible to have problems every 2 weeks with such an expensive product, very annoyed!

There's a problem in your environment. The wifi was one. What else might be a problem? Where's your cell phone? How close are you to your computer? How about cable routing? Power cords in parallel with audio cables? Unshielded cables where you should have shielded? Is everything on the same circuit? Is that a circuit that you're SURE there are no appliances, flourescents or rheostats on it? Is everything plugged into emi/rfi filtered power strips? USB ground loops (pray not, these are the worst!)

I'm sure this is frustrating, but random problems like this are the hardest to troubleshoot, and since many thousands of us use Helix every day in many environments without such problems, we have to look at your specific surroundings.

thanks for the quick help!
I only use cables
I don't understand, the environment doesn't change but the problem is there sometimes and sometimes not!

Where's your cell phone? --> moved to another room

How close are you to your computer? --> me and the guitar from the pc or the helix? anyway, pc on the desk in front of me with the guitar, helix on the right at the foot

How about cable routing? what routing means?

Power cords in parallel with audio cables? must they be or better not? and what does it mean?

Is everything on the same circuit? Is that a circuit that you're SURE there are no appliances, flourescents or rheostats on it? Is everything plugged into emi/rfi filtered power strips?

--> I have a power strip with several sockets, helix, pc, a tv, xbox, audio speakers
too many in the same?

USB ground loops (pray not, these are the worst!) -->what does it mean

sorry for my technical ignorance, I'm just a guitarist haha

help me!

If the socket you moved the Helix to is on the same circuit as all the rest, it won't help. Try unplugging the USB cord from the Helix (not the other end).

Any better?

If, while holding your guitar,  moving your position relative to, well, anything, changes the noise, the problem could be your guitar. Single coils? 

If the pups are active, check the battery. Spitballing here, maybe we'll get lucky....

You can also try unplugging everything but the Helix from the Power Strip (it's filtered, right?). If the noise goes away, add things back till the noise returns.

If unplugging the USB as suggested above fixes it, then follow the same procedure with the USB cables connected to the computer.

You are suffering from the dreaded USB Ground Loop problem. Disconnect all USB cables from the computer EXCEPT Helix. Add them back one at a time until you find the culprit. Sometimes it's a specific combination of two or more. Depending on the type of computer you have, it may have one or more USB ports on a direct MB connection, and others on internal or external USB Hubs. You always want the Helix on a MB port, but most other USB devices can use external hubs. SOMETIMES a powered hub for those devices (especially those that draw power from the hub, like hard drives and things with lots of LEDs) is what's necessary. I have 10 USB devices connected to my laptop, and tracking down the ground loop was a ROYAL PITA! Eventually I found a combination that worked and have since lived happily ever after.

no but wait, I have the background noise with only the helix connected via usb to the pc, there was nothing else, not even the mouse. to make it disappear besides this I had to be with my guitar at least one and a half meters from the pc.
approaching me the noise returned, even if there was only the helix via usb.
is it still the same problem you talk about or is it something else?

maybe it's not the problem you say, I'm desperate.
because there is background noise even if I totally disconnect the usb cable from the helix.

guitar-helix-headphones only:
I hear the background noise if I approach with the guitar facing the helix or if I approach the PC (but without anything connected to the PC)

Also, I'm not clear if disconnecting the USB cable got rid of the noise. if YES, and Helix was the ONLY USB connection to the computer, maybe it's the USB cable. Is it the original OEM cable that came with Helix? I read somewhere that some of them had problems. Cheap cables such as often come with printers sometimes have problems in audio situations. Above I mentioned cable routing. Sometimes if you have audio cables running parallel to power cables, that can cause noise. Again, spitballing. There's so many possibilities, without being able to actually be in the room, it's all I can do.

Hopefully, the factory reset will fix it. Fingers crossed....

sorry, in a hurry I disconnected the usb cable from the helix but I was standing with the headphones in front of the pc, the guitar was on the chair away from me and the helix (I was standing and since I was constantly switching on and off I left the guitar on a distant chair)
basically the usb had nothing to do with it, it was important that the guitar was far from the helix and the pc.

Can I ask you a favor?
could you explain the procedure step by step:
-save backups
-reset
- restore to current firmware
-restore the backup

in fact the helix has 2 months of life, when I turned it on for the first time I didn't have to do any backup and it automatically updated to the latest firmware ....

I'm pretty sure you have a PC monitor using an HDMI connection. Am I right?

If I am, than that's your enemy. That HDMI connection.

If you can use a different video connection, like DVI, or Miniport, GO for it!

Good luck!

unfortunately i have a laptop, so no hdmi problem.

next week i will try to change the layout of the room, maybe i will take a longer cable for the headphones so i can stay further away from the helix

anyway, legendary rd2rk (faster and more available than the official ticket support!)
i bought the helix in early august 2021, so firmware and hx edit are the latest available
3.10 and 3.11

as written, yesterday incredibly everything was back to normal but learning the procedure will be useful for the next problem.

thanks I await instructions

2 hours ago, MauroDave said:

firmware and hx edit are the latest available
3.10 and 3.11

The Firmware and HX Edit should both be on the same revision number - that is currently version 3.11

If they are not the same you will have problems.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

17 minutes ago, datacommando said:

The Firmware and HX Edit should both be on the same revision number - that is currently version 3.11

If they are not the same you will have problems.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

ok thanks, i will check.
eventually if I have to install hx edit to the most updated version, do I have to back up the presets also in this case or is it not like the firmware update and then HX EDIT will read automatically?

9 minutes ago, MauroDave said:

there was the latest helix edit and the latest firmware available

I mentioned it because you gave two different versions in your post.

You stated 3.10 and 3.11

Please check to ensure that they are identical.

The date of purchase is not relevant - it is common for new units to ship with older firmware installed.

If they do not match - you will have issues.

Plus when changing any HX software on your computer, or firmware on the unit always make backups and have a “fail safe” copy of all your stuff.

6 minutes ago, datacommando said:

I mentioned it because you gave two different versions in your post.

You stated 3.10 and 3.11

Please check to ensure that they are identical.

The date of purchase is not relevant - it is common for new units to ship with older firmware installed.

If they do not match - you will have issues.

Plus when changing any HX software on your computer, or firmware on the unit always make backups and have a “fail safe” copy of all your stuff.

how do i check the version of helix edit?
because that of the firmware comes out in the display of the helix at power up so that is easy

2 hours ago, MauroDave said:

how do i check the version of helix edit?

Windows 10?

Click on the "?" next to the “My Account” button in the lower left hand corner. This should also bring up the Preferences and you can see your HX Edit version number there. Not sure if there is an "About" menu button (Mac User). 

Mac OS.

Click on the “About” option in the menu bar.

3 minutes ago, MauroDave said:

tonight from 21 to 22.30 it worked normal
I turn on again at 11 pm, background noise.
unbearable situation

We've done all we can for you. Time to contact support. Intermittent problems are the worst, especially on computers and it is, after all, a computer!

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, rd2rk said:

We've done all we can for you. Time to contact support. Intermittent problems are the worst, especially on computers and it is, after all, a computer!

on the old ticket support they answered me .... that the guy is on vacation ... because in the whole line 6 only one person can help me ...
in the new ticket no answer ...
how ever I have not taken the fractal ...

there continues to be the problem, sometimes yes, sometimes not ....

4 hours ago, MauroDave said:

on the old ticket support they answered me .... that the guy is on vacation ... because in the whole line 6 only one person can help me ...

Don’t get confused!

They maybe part of YGG, but there are not as many employees at Line 6 as you may think.

If you really need to get the attention of anyone who works for Line 6 try posting on TGP, or the many groups on FarceBurk.

On 9/30/2021 at 1:24 AM, rd2rk said:

Do a FULL Factory Reset. (REBOOT holding 9+10).

Don't forget to back up first!

hello, sorry, do you recommend this type of reset?

Button Combination    Description

9 & 10                             Reset setlists to factory, Global reset, Clear IRs

?

1 minute ago, MauroDave said:

hello, sorry, do you recommend this type of reset?

Button Combination    Description

9 & 10                             Reset setlists to factory, Global reset, Clear IRs

?

Yes, that's what I said. If you've made custom presets, don't forget to back up first.

If support gets back to you, after making sure that you're on the latest FW and HX Edit, that's what they'll tell you to do.

It's SOP for troubleshooting.

14 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Yes, that's what I said. If you've made custom presets, don't forget to back up first.

If support gets back to you, after making sure that you're on the latest FW and HX Edit, that's what they'll tell you to do.

It's SOP for troubleshooting.

ok waiting for the official ticket support, I did the reset with the 9 & 10 button.
reset me preset and ir
while the firmware has remained updated to the latest, 3.11, correct procedure or should it go back to the factory one?

Hi MauroDave

You got a lot of good advice above. As you tried them out and still have the problem I add two things that I think hasn't been discussed. Bring this up in case you get you Stomp exchanged and the problem is in your house...

• Take your Stomp, you Les Paul (less noise sensitive) and your headphones an go to another house (work, friend, relative...). Just to see if you can reproduce the problem being in another environment (different power grid, different "noises"....). 
  • At home, use the same set up as above, unplug all power supplies from your equipment (not your Stomp). The important part is 115VAC/230VAC side. Eg it's not enough to unplug your laptop on the Laptop side, also the main line voltage. Unplug your Internet router from main power line etc., do the same with all you can find and see if you can kill the noise.     
  • I through in a third also... If you have another power supply that you can use on the Stomp, try that too.

What I'm after are switched power supplies, ground issues, radiation noise etc. By keeping it in a close loop (Stomp/LP/headphone only) narrow down what is working and from there add things. As it seems to come and go it can be related to something switching off/on, having heat issues in some equipment connected to the main power line etc. One of my trickiest finding was my desk lamp (halogen). I could not find the noise source until i rearranged my cables underneath the desk and forgot to plug in the lamp. The switch that turned on/off the lamp was connected to the 12V feed of the lamp, not the main transformer (in the lamp foot containing transformer and switch). The transformer produced all the noise and was never turned off intill I unplugged it...

Don't know if its helps but maybe worth a shot or create some new ideas... or confusion :-)

//Per