Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Problems with B string on new shuriken, and color question

caelrie

I bought a new Shuriken SR 250 from the Line 6 shop.  I have two problems, and I've opened a ticket, but I have a question...

First off, the B string in piezo mode has no sound at all.  Sweetwater says a factory reset can fix that.  Is that true? I haven't done a single thing with this guitar yet involving my computer. I haven't even unpacked the VDI interface, because of the second problem with the guitar.

It's green. Why is it green?  The pictures for the antique ash guitar clearly show a brown finish.  Is that a mistake?  Did they send me the wrong one?  Are the pictures wrong?  Why does it look like something a druid would play?  Because of this, I may be sending it back even if I get the B string to work, which is why I'm hesitant to open up the rest of the things that came with the guitar.  If these guitars really are all green, I'll have to decide if that's ok for me or not.

1) For the individual piezo,... doubt it.

Alcohol on a cotton swab, let it drip onto the piezo and roll down into the saddle. Blow out with canned air.

The saddle acts as a chassis ground. If it gets dust in between, it can create intermittent ground contact.

2) Swamp Ash finish, probably fine. It's not a solid color. Can you upload a photo?

I'll try the alcohol tip this afternoon. Need to go find some compressed air.

Here are the photos.  I put my actually-brown leather purse in the photo so the camera can more easily show just how green this guitar is.  Because of file size, looks like I have to make two posts, so I can do that.  Just need a minute for the second one.

Edit: ok, it won't let me upload the second one because of the same file size limit. I guess maybe it's per thread? I dunno.  But this one should show the green clearly enough.

20211001_112711.jpg

Hmm, alright. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.  I'm most likely going to send the guitar back.  I didn't buy a green guitar.

I thought I was buying this: https://gyazo.com/48b1ec1134c6c67e1ce3e455b45e68d3

And got this: https://gyazo.com/550f0df3f06d3d77d484cbdae0417d1e

It's a nice-playing guitar, but it's not what I bought.

Is there a way to get a picture before buying?  I would buy another one if I knew I was going to get one that was more grey/brown than green.  I'm not going to waste Line 6's time and money by ordering and ordering til I get one I like.  That wouldn't be right.  If an advance pic isn't possible, I'll probably just get a refund and be done.

I tried the alcohol/air thing, and it didn't work. So I guess it needs to go back regardless.  Thanks for your help

No no, I meant a photo of the individual guitars you would actually buy, like Sweetwater or other guitar stores will do.

Anyway, I got a response to my ticket and opted to exchange rather than refund.  I really want a Shuriken and maybe I'll get lucky and get one that's more gray or brown than green.

LOL I appreciate the links, but I guess I'm not communicating well.  I mean someone actually taking the guitar out of the box, taking a photo of the specific guitar, and letting you buy that specific guitar.  Places like Sweetwater and Wildwood will do that, so you can pick the exact guitar you'll get in advance.

I'm guessing Line 6 doesn't offer that service, after your responses.  And that's ok. I'll roll the dice.

This is what I mean:  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GSMiniKOAESB--taylor-gs-mini-e-koa-natural

They opened 4 guitars and posted pics of the 4 and you can choose which one you want to buy, by its serial number.

What I'm really asking (and knowing the answer is probably 'no') is if there's any way I can pick a swamp ash shuriken that's grey/brown instead of green in advance, and be sent that one.

No,... apparently we don't have a photo team at the distribution hub for individual photos. 

That greener one they call Antique Ash. The one, second from the right in the one sheet I think is

the Swamp Ash and I don't see any on the web store at the moment. The one to right of that I think is the

Trans Black and there's one on the web store.

The colors are very close to what is seen online. I'm the guy that services these guitars, so I know the color of the finish is very consistent between individual guitars.

What does Line 6 do with returned guitars? I imagine my shuriken with the nonfunctional b string piezo will end up on your bench soon.  Since I think they're just sending me a new one, what happens to this one?  Do you guys have a used shop somewhere?  Or does it get repaired and sold as new again? I mean, it IS new, just "open box" I guess.

I know a lot of companies sell those guitars to places as "factory seconds" or "blems", or I guess "refurbished".  I think there's a refurbished section on your shop and maybe I just answered my own question lol.

Dealer returns,...  I check them, fix it if it needs it, send it back into the system. There is a Refurb section,...

https://shop.line6.com/hardware/refurbished/

But I don't see any guitars there right now. Guitar Center, Sam Ash and Sweetwater sometimes have refurb

Variax guitars. You can also check with them.