Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider Iv 75: Replace Speaker With 4x12 Cabinet

EmaDaCuz

Hello everyone. First post here, but I have been following this forum for quite a while.

I am extremely happy with my Spider IV 75, but I noticed that the speaker does not move enough air while playing at high volumes. The sound gets a bit muddy and the amp cabinet vibrates a bit too much. 

I was thinking of connecting the amp to a bigger cabinet (2x12 or 4x12). I know that the direct out doesn't allow for a direct connection to the speakers, so I guess I would need to use a power amp (what about the EHX Magnum 44) and from that going to the cabinet. While this solution should work, I am not willing to spend other 130 euros for a 44W power amp.

So, what about replacing the 12" speaker with a cabinet, directly? Can it be done? I am thinking of soldering the two cables connecting to the speaker to a 1/4" jack and from that going into a 8 Ohm cabinet. Did anyone try this?

Thanks a lot 

Unless the 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet has highly efficient speakers, you are unlikley to get much more volume (or 'pushed air' ) from the cabinet.

Make sure that the cabinet is rated at 8 ohms (many have 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel (or parallel/series) which changes the impedance at the input jack.