Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp XL Issue with parallel mode...

RicBass251

Hi, I would really appreciate someone's help on this!  The issue is that I am running in parallel mode and the EQ on the parallel channel is affecting the entire sound.

Here are the specifics: On the parallel channel I am running both the "Simple Pitch" and then the EQ "Low and High Cut" . I need to EQ the "Simple Pitch" because it is too bright for my purposes so I want to reduce the high end frequencies of only the "Simple Pitch" sound, which is on the parallel channel.  The problem is that the EQ  "Low and High Cut" is definitely affecting the entire sound.  It should only affect the sound of whatever is on the parallel channel.

Please let me know what I am doing wrong. Thanks so much, ric

Stomp parallel issue.png

If the Pitch on Path B is allowing a dry signal through, then you will hear it effect the guitar in ways you do not want. Also, turning off the Pitch will not stop the dry signal from heading down that path and merging at the end. The EQ is always in play with the signal on that path and it will trick you mind into thinking it effects everything. 

To use this preset effectively.... the Pitch cannot allow any dry signal, and to turn the pitch on/off you need to do so at the SPLIT or MERGE block by having a switch control the SEND level (at the split) or RETURN level (at the merge) of that path.  

Please note: I do not own a Stomp to try this preset, but I do know that parallel paths wreak havoc on the mind with unexpected consequences. They take time to figure out. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you Codamedia! yes, this is good info!  I was experimenting yesterday and you are correct, the pitch, in this case, cannot allow a dry signal. BUT, The EQ as you say will still affect the sound when the pitch is bypassed. You are spot on about this....   *I'm not sure how to do your solution but I understand what you are saying. I'm new to this pedal. If you or someone can explain how to do the: "SPLIT or MERGE block by having a switch control the SEND level (at the split) or RETURN level (at the merge) of that path"  that would be greatly appreciated! 

4 hours ago, RicBass251 said:

'm not sure how to do your solution but I understand what you are saying. I'm new to this pedal. If you or someone can explain how to do the: "SPLIT or MERGE block by having a switch control the SEND level (at the split) or RETURN level (at the merge) of that path"  that would be greatly appreciated! 

I am going to provide how I would do it on my Helix LT... I'm sure it is very similar on a stomp, and if I am wrong hopefully someone will correct me. 

I'm going to do this through HX Edit, as it is likely more "uniform" than trying to explain it through a different device. 

This is my preferred method..... the Merge Block

• Connect to the preset through HX Edit.... 
  • Click on the MERGE BLOCK (the node where path B returns to path A)
  • Right Click on "B Level" and assign it to a footswitch of your choice
  • Now go to "bypass / controller assign"
  • Highlight the "mixer > b level" assignment
  • Set the MIN Level to -60 (the lowest it will go)
  • Set the MAX Level to 0

Now the footswitch you assigned will act like it is turning Path B on & off by turning the Return Level of Path B up and down. 

NOTE: You could also assign the EQ and Ptich to that same footswitch, but I think that would be redundant. 

To do this using the SPLIT Block.... you can try this. 

• Connect to the preset through HX Edit.... 
  • Click on the SPLIT BLOCK (the node where path A splits off to Path B)
  • Set the Split to "Split A/B"
  • Right Click on "Route to" and assign it to a footswitch or your choice
  • Now to to "bypass / controller assign"
  • Highlight the "Split A/B > Route To" assignment
  • Set the MIN Level to "A 100" (only A path)
  • Set the MAX Level to "Even Split" (this sends equal amounts to both Path A and Path B)

Now the footswitch you assigned will act like it is turning Path B on & off by turning the SEND Level of Path B up and down. 

Hopefully that works with the Stomp & Stomp XL like it does on my LT. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

CodaMedia, Yep! Your directions were spot on!!!      *BTW, After I made the settings on the Merge Block, I noticed, of course, that the "B Track" was dry, no verb etc. I'm sure most of you geniuses already know this but you can drag the merge block anywhere in the chain!  This will enable you to use an existing effect from "Track A" so to speak. This is handy if you are running out of blocks and just want to use a verb or delay from track A or if you just want to join the "A Track" at a certain point.

I attached a screenshot for newbies like me, with the new, dragged position of the merge track, circled in yellow.    Okay, thanks again CodaMedia, cheers! ric

Updated Xstomp XL.jpeg