Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pocket Pod into PA for open mic small gigs - best setup?

I play local open mic and small venue things using the venue PA. What is the cleanest way to hook up the Pocket Pod to the PA? (I am not a sound guy). The manual says to use the 1/8th stereo output, but all the cables at venues are 1/4 inch mono or XLR. Would a small DI from the "Amp Out" give a clean sound over the venue's xlr cables? Or would a cheap 1/8" to 1/4" mono adapter from the headphone jack be good enough. I think the latter would be unbalanced and very noisy if attached to a long (cheap?) venue cable.

I've done a lot of googling and read the manual, but no venue I've played had 1/8" stereo jacks to attach to their PA.

Thanks!

mark

The Amp Out signal excludes any mic/cab modelling from the Pocket Pod preset. It will not likely sound good through the PA. I would use an 1/8” stereo to 1/4” mono adapter, making sure that it sums the stereo signal to mono. Or, if a stereo signal is important use an 1/8” stereo to 2x1/4” mono adapter that retains the stereo signal. This, of course, will require two input channels on the mixer/PA.

I don’t think the unbalanced signal will be a problem for small venues.

EDIT: You can also try tuning the Cabinet Mode (see manual) to Direct Out and use the Amp Out jack of the Pocket Pod. It seems this will retain the preset’s cab/mic modelling in the output signal.

I am coming from a Pod 2.0 which offers a summed and balanced output. My concern was that an unbalanced signal over a 20'+ cable would be noisy. Also, what will happen if the sound guy accidentally has phantom power on? Wouldn't this fry the Pocket Pod?

The problem with open mic things is that you just show up and things have to work, so you don't have time to do any trouble shooting etc. Acoustics with preamps or the POD 2.0 just plug and go.

It costs money ($35), but what about something like a Rapco Horizon LTIBLOX (overkill?)

I want to make the Pocket Pod work like a Pod 2.0, only smaller and battery operated.

Thanks!