Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp and recording in Logic???

deckard1

I recently acquired an HX Stomp. I can't figure out how to use the HX Stomp's amp sims in combination with third party effects set up in Logic. I tried just loading the third party effects in Logic but it doesn't seem to work. Do I leave software monitoring on in Logic?

Thanks. 

3 hours ago, deckard1 said:

Do I leave software monitoring on in Logic?

Yes, but you might not be too happy with it as the HX families audio interface part is causing latencies that you very likely don't want to deal with (in fact, the interface scores as one of the worst ever regarding that very aspect, 15.3ms roundtrip latency at 32 samples buffersize is as horrible as it gets and personally I'd notice it fully drunk at 4am).

However, if all you wanted is typical room FX, which usually are just slightly mixed in (so additional latency isn't of much, if any concern), there's a neat little "trick". Just generate an additional track, set it to input monitoring and to no output. Then set up sends from there to your FX busses. Works a treat. If you don't know how to do all that, I could post a sample project.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Yes, but you might not be too happy with it as the HX families audio interface part is causing latencies that you very likely don't want to deal with (in fact, the interface scores as one of the worst ever regarding that very aspect, 15.3ms roundtrip latency at 32 samples buffersize is as horrible as it gets and personally I'd notice it fully drunk at 4am).

However, if all you wanted is typical room FX, which usually are just slightly mixed in (so additional latency isn't of much, if any concern), there's a neat little "trick". Just generate an additional track, set it to input monitoring and to no output. Then set up sends from there to your FX busses. Works a treat. If you don't know how to do all that, I could post a sample project.

Thanks so much! Yes, please, if you have time, post a sample project. 

6 hours ago, lou-kash said:

If you want to be using Helix combined with Logic regularly, you may want to look at Helix Native. As an HX Stomp owner you'll get a significant discount:

line6.com/helix/helixnative.html

Yes...I have Native. How do I use the HX Stomp strictly as an audio interface in Logic? Then I could use Native for the sounds. 

1 hour ago, deckard1 said:

Yes...I have Native. How do I use the HX Stomp strictly as an audio interface in Logic? Then I could use Native for the sounds. 

Well, basically, you'd just use USB 7/8 - that is on the Helix Floor, maybe on the Stomp it's lower numbers. 1/2 represent your master out whereas the last USB numbers would be your direct guitar signal. That way you could use the Stomp just as an interface and slap whatever plugins you like onto your DI guitar signal.
However, you'd run into the same latency issues as mentioned above.

Whatever, I'll post a sample project in a bit, allowing you to use some of Logics delay/reverbs for monitoring pleasure.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, deckard1 said:

How do I use the HX Stomp strictly as an audio interface in Logic?

Hi,

The DI audio signal from the HX Stomp is on USB 5 & 6

HX Stomp 3.0 Owner’s Manual - Rev D - English

Page 55 USB Audio

It also includes a section on re-amping, but once you have your unprocessed audio, simply play that back via Helix Native - simple.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Well, basically, you'd just use USB 7/8 - that is on the Helix Floor, maybe on the Stomp it's lower numbers. 1/2 represent your master out whereas the last USB numbers would be your direct guitar signal. That way you could use the Stomp just as an interface and slap whatever plugins you like onto your DI guitar signal.
However, you'd run into the same latency issues as mentioned above.

Whatever, I'll post a sample project in a bit, allowing you to use some of Logics delay/reverbs for monitoring pleasure.

Thanks!!!

14 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

The DI audio signal from the HX Stomp is on USB 5 & 6

HX Stomp 3.0 Owner’s Manual - Rev D - English

Page 55 USB Audio

It also includes a section on re-amping, but once you have your unprocessed audio, simply play that back via Helix Native - simple.

Thanks! Makes sense. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Ok, here we go:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10EOTK6eOu0SxoZ-PlcBU5DMRyvRHnnlA/view?usp=sharing

Just two tracks, the top one is an audio channel set to input monitoring. It's set to no output so you don't hear the dry HX signal through it (you just listen to that straight from your Stomp). Has two FX sends on it, the upper one running into a delay bus, the lower one running into a reverb. For now, both are turned up, so you should hear a sound with delay and reverb. Overall FX mix can be tweaked by the channel fader, balance between delay and reverb by the sends.

If you wanted to record, you wouldn't do it on that channel but on an extra audio track.

With this setup, you can:

- Listen to your HX patches without any further latency introduced by software monitoring.

- Add all kinds of nice room FX.

- Record just the amp sound.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Ok, here we go:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10EOTK6eOu0SxoZ-PlcBU5DMRyvRHnnlA/view?usp=sharing

Just two tracks, the top one is an audio channel set to input monitoring. It's set to no output so you don't hear the dry HX signal through it (you just listen to that straight from your Stomp). Has two FX sends on it, the upper one running into a delay bus, the lower one running into a reverb. For now, both are turned up, so you should hear a sound with delay and reverb. Overall FX mix can be tweaked by the channel fader, balance between delay and reverb by the sends.

If you wanted to record, you wouldn't do it on that channel but on an extra audio track.

With this setup, you can:

- Listen to your HX patches without any further latency introduced by software monitoring.

- Add all kinds of nice room FX.

- Record just the amp sound.

Thanks for the link! So sorry, but how would I open the Logic project after unzipping it? 

1 hour ago, deckard1 said:

how would I open the Logic project after unzipping it? 

Hi

Simply double click the project file and it should open into Logic. You could drag the project file onto the Logic program icon, or even open Logic, and from the file menu select “Open” and then navigate to the project file and select it.

I guess you must be new to using Logic Pro?

13 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Hi

Simply double click the project file and it should open into Logic. You could drag the project file onto the Logic program icon, or even open Logic, and from the file menu select “Open” and then navigate to the project file and select it.

I guess you must be new to using Logic Pro?

Thanks! Been using Logic Pro since version 9. I tried what you said and I can’t seem to open it up for some reason. Will try again. Double clicking the project file just opens up other files. 

7 minutes ago, deckard1 said:

Thanks! Been using Logic Pro since version 9. I tried what you said and I can’t seem to open it up for some reason. Will try again. Double clicking the project file just opens up other files. 

Ah, maybe the file supplied by Sascha is a higher version number of Logic than the one you have and it’s failing to recognise it. 

Other than that - the only other thing is that the Zip file has an issue.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, deckard1 said:

v10.6.3.

Double clicking on the project folder after unzipping gives sub folders like audio, etc. I’ll try opening it within Logic. Maybe that will do it. 

Ah, yes! The sub folders are created as part of the project package from Logic. It helps to maintain links to any audio files, samples etc, that may be needed with that particular project. In this case they will be empty folders. You only need to open the Logic file.

Hm, for convenience reasons, I saved the project as a package but things seem to have gotten a bit messy. Had the project saved the standard "folder" way before and the folder created that way weren't deleted, possibly causing confusion. Still, when you navigate Logics file open dialog to the project file, it should open (fwiw, as I'm on Mojave, I'm using 10.5.1 - so that format should be fine).
Whatever, I simply resaved the project, this time as "folders" rather than as a package. Try this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZVXB-3L9sxCP8L5EZGfsv-3M5ilNcThL/view?usp=sharing

This is what it should look like after unzipping:
HX_LogicFX.jpg.1bd7903b09db22a1c3386038dbac684e.jpg

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, deckard1 said:

should Helix Native be run in mono or stereo as a plug-in

Mono for mono, stereo if you want to take full advantage of those splendid stereo delays, reverbs, etc.

I don’t restrict myself to only using Native on guitar tracks - synths, drums, vocals whatever you want really - just set up presets with effects only (no amp or cab).

I usually prefer stereo. YMMV.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Hm, for convenience reasons, I saved the project as a package but things seem to have gotten a bit messy. Had the project saved the standard "folder" way before and the folder created that way weren't deleted, possibly causing confusion. Still, when you navigate Logics file open dialog to the project file, it should open (fwiw, as I'm on Mojave, I'm using 10.5.1 - so that format should be fine).
Whatever, I simply resaved the project, this time as "folders" rather than as a package. Try this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZVXB-3L9sxCP8L5EZGfsv-3M5ilNcThL/view?usp=sharing

This is what it should look like after unzipping:
HX_LogicFX.jpg.1bd7903b09db22a1c3386038dbac684e.jpg

Got it working. Thanks. Sorry, I was not familiar with how Google Drive exactly worked. That was the holdup on my end.