Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is Vdi An All-digital Signal?

I would not call digital signals "Completely Pure" from an audio standpoint.  I agree that reducing the number of conversion steps is a good thing though.  I like the VDI input because it powers the Variax and I don't have to charge the battery.  I don't think it sounds any better than the Analog output though.

• Upvote 1

I would not call digital signals "Completely Pure" from an audio standpoint.  I agree that reducing the number of conversion steps is a good thing though.  I like the VDI input because it powers the Variax and I don't have to charge the battery.  I don't think it sounds any better than the Analog output though.

Perhaps, but another good thing is that it reduces some latency by skipping a D/A A/D stage.

• Upvote 1

Audio-wise the signal is digital (ie the sound is represented by 0's and 1's).

By skipping a D/A A/D stage, by definition the "quality" is better.

Of course, the human ear can not "sense" this tiny deterioration in sound quality, this is why u think it does not sound any better than the analogue output.

I would love a VDI splitter to send both signals to both PODS at once.

Have you tried an RJ-45 splitter? The VDI protocol is proprietary but the cable is standard. The splitter won't know or care what the protocol is, and the receiving POD (hopefully) won't know or care that the signal was split.

Long term you will need to work around the protective housing of the VDI cable end, but short term you could just use standard RJ45 cabling from the Variax to the splitter. Worth a try?

some of the pairs carry power... so splitting them could be a disaster... you may end up feeding power into something that shouldn't get it.

Have you tried an RJ-45 splitter? The VDI protocol is proprietary but the cable is standard. The splitter won't know or care what the protocol is, and the receiving POD (hopefully) won't know or care that the signal was split.

Long term you will need to work around the protective housing of the VDI cable end, but short term you could just use standard RJ45 cabling from the Variax to the splitter. Worth a try?

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

OK - I didn't consider the power implications. Dumb-lollipop suggestion that was! Wish it were either the first or the last..........

Not sure if I followed exactly what you're trying to connect to and from, but if anyone is wondering whether or not you can use an RJ45 switch with the Variax, the answer is yes. I have a single JTV Variax plugged into a PASSIVE, very simple RJ45 A/B switch. It works perfectly to switch between my POD X3 Live and my POD HD 500 X. It provides power without any problems. The only quirk is when switching to the X3 Live, it will deactivate the tuning, if you have anything set. You just need to quickly roll the knob to anything else and then back.

The other great thing about a digital connection is the lack of inference. That's one of the best things for my set up which is near tons of other equipment where unbalanced connections and magnetic pickups are prone to annoying inference.

The main thing I'd love to be able to do is use both pods simultaneously, but I'm scared to try a straight up RJ45 splitter on the guitar. Switching the connection between 2 pods is straight forward, but I have no idea what would happen if you tried to connect a single guitar to 2 Pods, especially if they were both trying to power it!

I've used the FX loop send as an analog output to the input of the other Pod, but I run into noise issues with that set up. I really wish either of the Pods had a digital input.