Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Specific manual on parameters of each "thing" in Line 6

Serhiy85

Hello everybody!
Maybe it's a problem for someone too, or it's just me :)
I am a regular user of Line 6 Helix LT and do not have much time to tweak it everyday. I have my regular setting done. But I want to expand more potential of my device.
Therefore, I constantly have questions about what mean each of the parameters and knobs of AMP's, effects etc. that are available in Line 6.
I noticed that the description of effects and amplifiers appears when the new patch comes out.
But I can't find a common manual for everything in one place.
Is there somewhere something like that?

If no, is it possible that Line 6 should do this?
Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Serhiy85 said:

Hello everybody!
Maybe it's a problem for someone too, or it's just me :)
I am a regular user of Line 6 Helix LT and do not have much time to tweak it everyday. I have my regular setting done. But I want to expand more potential of my device.
Therefore, I constantly have questions about what mean each of the parameters and knobs of AMP's, effects etc. that are available in Line 6.
I noticed that the description of effects and amplifiers appears when the new patch comes out.
But I can't find a common manual for everything in one place.
Is there somewhere something like that?

If no, is it possible that Line 6 should do this?
Thanks in advance.

This is why I always suggest my friends to develop some solid experience with real pedals and real amps, before jumping into modeling...If you know those basics, you dont need to know what those Helix params are for, since they are just doing what they are doing in the real counterpart.

Anyway, this unofficial guide is a nice place to start.  You can find good info on models, and sometimes you also get access to original manuals of those pedals and amps.

https://helixhelp.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks! Very nice guide!

I had some pedals, but it's hard to keep in mind so many stuff...

For what I meant is what they write in "Release notes", but like for everything they've got. I believe some type of that tutorial will be helpful for many people, from beginner to experienced user! 

• Upvote 1

Prior to the Helix, Line 6 used to provide a "model gallery" that was often insightful and humorous at the same time. 

The Helix controls are quite good at simulating the "real thing"... so when you want to know how a product works, you can always look up a video of the real product. EG: If you don't know how the RAT pedals work, go watch a video about the RAT - then apply it to the Helix. If you don't know how the Dr Z Route 66 Amp works, go watch a video on using a real Route 66.  

Don't worry about not knowing it all too quickly. Get what you NEED in place, then take your time on this wonderful journey. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

FWIW...I'm writing an eBook called "The Big Book of Helix Tips and Tricks" for Sweetwater Publishing. It includes pretty deep descriptions of the parameters for the more complex effects, and I've also done a lot of testing - for example, there's a frequency response graph for the three different tape speeds in Retro Reel. I've been working on the eBook for months, but I hope to get it published either end of October or early November.

If nothing else, I needed to figure out what the parameters did for myself!! I think Helix is awesome, but felt I needed to know more in order to take full advantage of it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Anderton said:

FWIW...I'm writing an eBook called "The Big Book of Helix Tips and Tricks" for Sweetwater Publishing. It includes pretty deep descriptions of the parameters for the more complex effects, and I've also done a lot of testing - for example, there's a frequency response graph for the three different tape speeds in Retro Reel. I've been working on the eBook for months, but I hope to get it published either end of October or early November.

If nothing else, I needed to figure out what the parameters did for myself!! I think Helix is awesome, but felt I needed to know more in order to take full advantage of it.

@Anderton Craig, great to see your post here. Recently enjoyed reading your Creative Ways to Get Even More out of the HX Stomp, article published 9/20/21 on Sweetwater's site. Fantastic! Well written, great screen shots, audio examples, and more! Please add me to the list (if you maintain one) for when the book is ready. Additionally, should you wish to have another set of eyes read through your manuscript before release and publication, consider me available; I'd be happy to sign an NDA should you wish. I have a Floor, Stomp and Native, and have done Beta with Line 6. Either way, keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing your book published!

Just now, Anderton said:

Additionally, should you wish to have another set of eyes read through your manuscript before release and publication, consider me available; I'd be happy to sign an NDA should you wish. I have a Floor, Stomp and Native, and have done Beta with Line 6.

That would be effing awesome! Not sure how to send a private message on these boards, but I do have an email dedicated to tech support for my Helix multiband presets - it's craig.tech.center@gmail.com. We can figure out the logistics there, if you're up for pursuing this.

Thank you!!

12 hours ago, Anderton said:

Yes, this! I've done the watch a video, download the actual manual thing but I shouldn't have to. They all give you a user's manual, but....separately Boss gives you a 50+ page parameter guide and Fractal gives you an even bigger, dare I say, exhaustive 70+ page block parameter guide. Helix? Zippo!. 

This should not be the case., but in lieu of Line6 coming through for us, I'm willing to pay for someone else's EBook giving me this essential information in one volume. Thank you Craig.

11 hours ago, malduroque said:

This should not be the case., but in lieu of Line6 coming through for us, I'm willing to pay for someone else's EBook giving me this essential information in one volume. Thank you Craig.

Agreed - would love to buy this book when it comes out!

-Andrew

I have collected hundreds of Helix notes that I've considered organizing into a book or web site. But work and gigging continually gets in the way. Maybe when I retire. In the meantime, for anything Helix models reproduce, you can look up the actual device and review its manual. Or you can search on the web for the device and see how others use it. Similar usage patterns should apply to Helix. For other blocks, experiment with each setting you don't understand by moving it through its extremes and see what it does.

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2021 at 6:36 PM, Anderton said:

That would be effing awesome! Not sure how to send a private message on these boards, but I do have an email dedicated to tech support for my Helix multiband presets - it's craig.tech.center@gmail.com. We can figure out the logistics there, if you're up for pursuing this.

Thank you!!

@Anderton Sent you a email....

On 10/11/2021 at 10:42 AM, Anderton said:

E-Book..... oh well.... 

I would have put a hard/soft cover right beside my "Home Recording For Musicians" from the 80's...  Or my "35 DIY projects for guitar players".... 

.... both written by some guy with your name - LOL!

Nice to see you posting here Craig! 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, codamedia said:

E-Book..... oh well.

Well, the good news is that the reason why they're eBooks is they get updated, like software, every six months to a year. The equivalent of "point" updates are free, new editions are half-price to current book owners. This gets around the problem of technology books getting out of date so easily - especially with the frequent Helix updates!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, codamedia said:

E-Book..... oh well.... 

I would have put a hard/soft cover right beside my "Home Recording For Musicians" from the 80's...  Or my "35 DIY projects for guitar players".... 

.... both written by some guy with your name - LOL!

Nice to see you posting here Craig! 

I had Electronic Projects For Musicians. Another great book if you want to rewire your guitar is Guitar Electronics for Musician by Donald Brosnac. I got it when it was just called Guitar Electronics. It's falling apart. Rewired my SG so I could have my two humbuckers wired in any configuration using three 4 pole six throw switches with this book. I don't even know if they make those switches anymore let alone the ones that fit in an SG.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Anderton said:

Well, the good news is that the reason why they're eBooks is they get updated, like software, every six months to a year. The equivalent of "point" updates are free, new editions are half-price to current book owners. This gets around the problem of technology books getting out of date so easily - especially with the frequent Helix updates!

I fully agree....

I was joking with the "E-Book..... oh well.... " comment... sorry if it didn't come across as such. 

For the record, my buddy Al and I spent many hours in his basement working through a few of the projects in your book "Electronic Projects for Musicians" back in the early 1990s. I learned the basics of electronic circuits and components from that book. It sent me on quite a few trips to Radio Shack. Thank you for writing it, Craig!

-Andrew