Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FX loop replaced?

gabriele1990

21 minutes ago, rarellano said:

It's only an edited patch. And the POD and its DSP will allow you what pedals can you add. and the final circle of Output shows like a stain.

It was the first time I didn't see the FX loop block, so I tought we could use another effect in place of it, thank you!

I frequently swap the fx block for another function, most typically I use it as a clean +3dB level boost for solos, where it's labelled 'Level'.  The advantage of doing this is that I can kick it in regardless of what other effects are active. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rarellano said:

That seems pretty damn huge, so it is easily possible have more than 4 dynamic blocks simply by using this edited patch?!    Ah so they just 'removed' the EQ and the FX Loop block and replaced them with empty (dynamic) blocks.  So no 'extra' block, just replaced EQ/FX with empty blocks.  Nice!!

The EQ block shouldn't be a huge deal as each amp model has EQ settings, the FX loop could or couldn't matter...   Very cool!

Spoiler

Yeah the pgp is json, so just replace in export file, genius!

"dsp0" : {
    "block0" : {
     "@enabled" : true,
     "@model" : "HD2_VolPanVolStereo",
     "@no_snapshot_bypass" : false,
     "@position" : 0,
     "@type" : 0,
     "Pedal" : 1.0,
     "VolumeTaper" : false
    },
    "block1" : {
     "@enabled" : false,
     "@model" : "HD2_WahFasselStereo",
     "@position" : 1,
     "FcHigh" : 2155.0,
     "FcLow" : 455.0,
     "Level" : 0.0,
     "Mix" : 1.0,
     "Pedal" : 1.0
    },
    "block2" : {
     "@position" : 2
    },
    "block3" : {
     "@position" : 3
    },
    "block4" : {
     "@position" : 4
    },

"block5" : {
     "@bypassvolume" : 1.0,
     "@model" : "HD2_PreampMandarinRocker",
     "@position" : 5,
     "@type" : 1,
     "Bass" : 0.50,
     "ChVol" : 0.68750,
     "Drive" : 0.50,
     "Hum" : 0.50,
     "Master" : 0.50,
     "Mid" : 0.50,
     "Sag" : 0.50,
     "Treble" : 0.50
    },
    "block6" : {
     "@model" : "HD2_ImpulseResponse1024Mono",
     "@position" : 6,
     "@type" : 2,
     "@uuid" : "ddae067006d0a8e83031509da297837e",
     "HighCut" : 8000.0,
     "Index" : 2,
     "Level" : 1.19209e-007,
     "LowCut" : 80.0,
     "Mix" : 1.0
    },
    "block7" : {
     "@position" : 7
    },
    "block8" : {
     "@position" : 8
    },
    "block9" : {
     "@position" : 9
    },

"input" : {
     "@input" : 1,
     "@model" : "P34_AppDSPFlowInput",
     "decay" : 0.50,
     "noiseGate" : false,
     "threshold" : -48.0
    },
    "output" : {
     "@model" : "P34_AppDSPFlowOutput",
     "@output" : 1,
     "gain" : 0.0,
     "pan" : 0.50
    }
   },

Has anyone tried making a gdp with more blocks?  I'm guessing it might not work as it's likely coded for 12 blocks, but if we're lucky and it was coded with as long as the fine contains blocks, it could add extra blocks, but more than likely the extra blocks would just get ingnored, or you'd end up with a patch who's 12th block is a dynamic block instead of out...   (more than likely, even if it worked, the Go's GUI and Edit's GUI likely would not support it so you wouldn't see the last block or something...  Likely would not work well in the end.)

43 minutes ago, voxman55 said:

I frequently swap the fx block for another function, most typically I use it as a clean +3dB level boost for solos, where it's labelled 'Level'.  The advantage of doing this is that I can kick it in regardless of what other effects are active. 

Since when?!  lol   I had no idea it was possible to do, was this patched in at one time or you were also using an edited patch?

2 hours ago, gabriele1990 said:

Hi all, have you seen the latest YouTube video of Choptones?

Are you talking about this one?   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3kMXc0tnus  Their 'Out' block is all screwed up also it seems, pretty weird!

And btw, did not try, but the 2nd block; the wah/volume pedal, is also a block, so who knows if in theory you could also replace them with a different block if you used the same technique as the edited pgp.  You might not be able to edit it in the GUI later on, but maybe by replacing it in the export file (see spoiler);   Not sure how it would behave; if the volume would get switched the the compressor in this case, and if 'clicking' the expression pedal would then revert back to the volume, but who knows...  Could make the Go crash also, likely would fail during import, etc.   so unless you have lots of free time and would not mind losing your Pod Go config and having to do a reset, I would not recommend trying it out, but I'd be curious to know if it would work!  Kinda weary/lazy of going through the testing/GoReset though..

Spoiler

DO NOT TRY WITH THIS!  if you want do an export and compare files, I used an export I had which originates from an earlier version which could have an effect.  This was just a quick curious check what the files contain kind of thing!

"@position" : 1,     >>>>>>>>>>>>>> <----- likely chain position  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    },

replace with another block from another exported patch, ex; here with a compressor;

"block1": {
                    "PeakReduction": 0.55,
                    "Mix": 1,
                    "Emphasis": 0.09,
                    "Gain": 0.5,
                    "Type": false,
                    "@enabled": true,
                    "Level": 0,
                    "@position": 4,          >>>>>>>>>>>>>> <----- likely chain position, likely must be the same as original  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                    "@no_snapshot_bypass": false,
                    "@type": 0,
                    "@model": "HD2_CompressorLAStudioCompMono"
                }

But yeah maybe during import it would be looking for a Wah at Block1 position, maybe it would be looking for specific values such as which would make it crash;

Lots of reasons it might not work.   But in theory, could also work, it really depends on how they coded the import function.

You would also need to do some guesswork to figure out what some of the settings mean; ex; @position, @type vs "type":false, as above in red, @position might be position in the chain, so if you take a block from another position, would have to put the position 1, but maybe that's not what it means also, would need to do some guesswork and testing and in the end might end up not working anyhow...

2 minutes ago, grdGo33 said:

Are you talking about this one?   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3kMXc0tnus  Their 'Out' block is all screwed up also it seems, pretty weird!

Reveal hidden contents

"@position" : 1,
    },

replace with

"block1": {
                    "PeakReduction": 0.55,
                    "Mix": 1,
                    "Emphasis": 0.09,
                    "Gain": 0.5,
                    "Type": false,
                    "@enabled": true,
                    "Level": 0,
                    "@position": 4,
                    "@no_snapshot_bypass": false,
                    "@type": 0,
                    "@model": "HD2_CompressorLAStudioCompMono"
                }

But yeah maybe during import it would be looking for the HD2_WahFasselStereo at Block1 position, maybe it would be looking for specific values such as:

Lots of reasons it might not work.   But in theory, could work, it really depends on how they coded the import function

Yep that's the one. I know, the out block seems strange. 

1 hour ago, grdGo33 said:
1 hour ago, voxman55 said:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since when?!  lol   I had no idea it was possible to do, was this patched in at one time or you were also using an edited patch?

I created it myself; in PGE go to the footswitch (normally FS2) and click on the 3 dots to see the assignments. Remove the FX loop assignment.  Go to Output, and set your normal value to 0dB and your max value to +3dB (or whatever you want) & assign it to FS2. Save the patch, & you're done. In PG in FS2 in stomp mode you'll now see 'Level'. Press it and when it highlights, your +3dB clean boost is on. 

I've done this on several patches I've added to Custom Tone, including this patch ( Soldclean SCsnap ) .  So for a 'quick fix' you can just copy the outblock block in this patch & overwrite the FS2 block on any patch you have:

https://line6.com/customtone/tone/5101684/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, voxman55 said:

I created it myself; in PGE go to the footswitch (normally FS2) and click on the 3 dots to see the assignments. Remove the FX loop assignment.  Go to Output, and set your normal value to 0dB and your max value to +3dB (or whatever you want) & assign it to FS2. Save the patch, & you're done. In PG in FS2 in stomp mode you'll now see 'Level'. Press it and when it highlights, your +3dB clean boost is on. 

I've done this on several patches I've added to Custom Tone, including this patch ( Soldclean SCsnap ) .  So for a 'quick fix' you can just copy the outblock block in this patch & overwrite the FS2 block on any patch you have:

https://line6.com/customtone/tone/5101684/

I think one of us is mixed up...  We're not talking about assignments, we're talking about removing the block.  Normally PGO has 4 dynamic blocks.  The EQ and FX blocks are locked and they can't be changed.  So sure, you can remove the footswitch assignment, but from my knowledge, you couldn't remove the EQ and FX blocks.  If you can, it was likely patched in at one point, because ever since getting the Go, and ever since I've visited the forums, I've always read/thought that the EQ and FX blocks could not be switched out for other blocks; only 4 dynamic blocks.

Using the 'hacked' presets, you load a patch, and this patch was edited so that it does not contain FX and EQ; giving you 6 available dynamic blocks instead of the 4, which is genius.  This is the first time I hear of this!  Kinda surprised you'd know about it earlier from our other exchanges lol

(from your "Voting for Pod Go requests for extra flexibility - the problem with 'Ideascale'....")

2. Give Pod Go 1 or 2 extra blocks. It doesn't increase DSP, but the option will give greater flexibility

This is it!  Well almost, you lose the EQ, but as I said Amp blocks have it, and effects often have a tone setting, and FX, well, either you need it or you don't...  But you said 1 or 2 extra blocks, so 1 is what you got ;)

But yeah maybe you did understand correctly and people have been doing it for a while, it's just that I check this forum every few weeks and just learned about it, had no idea it was old news!  0.o    Or maybe this a a new feature of 1.3?  Ah.. Must have missed it in the release notes...  Hmm.. not even https://line6.com/support/page/kb/pod/pod-go/pod-go-130-r986/   from an earlier firmware update?  

[edit: ok yeah pretty sure it never happened, this is really a 'hacked' preset which allows doing something PGo didn't allow to do by design!  And actually give users 6 dynamic blocks instead of EQ, FX and 4 dynamic blocks!]  8)

1 hour ago, grdGo33 said:

I think one of us is mixed up...  We're not talking about assignments, we're talking about removing the block.  Normally PGO has 4 dynamic blocks.  The EQ and FX blocks are locked and they can't be changed.  So sure, you can remove the footswitch assignment, but from my knowledge, you couldn't remove the EQ and FX blocks.  If you can, it was likely patched in at one point, because ever since getting the Go, and ever since I've visited the forums, I've always read/thought that the EQ and FX blocks could not be switched out for other blocks; only 4 dynamic blocks.

Using the 'hacked' presets, you load a patch, and this patch was edited so that it does not contain FX and EQ; giving you 6 available dynamic blocks instead of the 4, which is genius.  This is the first time I hear of this!  Kinda surprised you'd know about it earlier from our other exchanges lol

This is it!  Well almost, you lose the EQ, but as I said Amp blocks have it, and effects often have a tone setting, and FX, well, either you need it or you don't...  But you said 1 or 2 extra blocks, so 1 is what you got ;)

But yeah maybe you did understand correctly and people have been doing it for a while, it's just that I check this forum every few weeks and just learned about it, had no idea it was old news!  0.o    Or maybe this a a new feature of 1.3?  Ah.. Must have missed it in the release notes...  Hmm.. not even https://line6.com/support/page/kb/pod/pod-go/pod-go-130-r986/   from an earlier firmware update?  

[edit: ok yeah pretty sure it never happened, this is really a 'hacked' preset which allows doing something PGo didn't allow to do by design!  And actually give users 6 dynamic blocks instead of EQ, FX and 4 dynamic blocks!]  8)

Sorry. you're right - I'd misunderstood. I certainly wasn't aware of any hack that gives you 6 user blocks - I'm intrigued how that was done because it wasn't referred to in the v1.30 update.  I've loaded down the block & I can get 5 FX in but not 6.  Can't be DSP as I've chosen very low DSP models. No overflow warning but hey, even 5 blocks is a win!  Can anyone else get all 6 blocks to work?

Update:   I can't seem to add a 6th FX - well, I can add it but PG doesn't 'see it' in the display and even though it's lit in PGE and assigned to the spare FS, it has no impact on sound.  But here's something crazy ....I can add a looper in the 6th slot - even 6 button!  Just testing to see if it works properly, but seems to.  So 5 user FX blocks plus a looper - wow!!  

Also, & don't know what I did, but for few minutes up popped  10 (yes TEN!) user slots with no amp or cab or wah or Volume??!!  

2 hours ago, voxman55 said:

Sorry. you're right - I'd misunderstood. I certainly wasn't aware of any hack that gives you 6 user blocks - I'm intrigued how that was done because it wasn't referred to in the v1.30 update.  I've loaded down the block & I can get 5 FX in but not 6.  Can't be DSP as I've chosen very low DSP models. No overflow warning but hey, even 5 blocks is a win!  Can anyone else get all 6 blocks to work?

Update:   I can't seem to add a 6th FX - well, I can add it but PG doesn't 'see it' in the display and even though it's lit in PGE and assigned to the spare FS, it has no impact on sound.  But here's something crazy ....I can add a looper in the 6th slot - even 6 button!  Just testing to see if it works properly, but seems to.  So 5 user FX blocks plus a looper - wow!!  

Also, & don't know what I did, but for few minutes up popped  10 (yes TEN!) user slots with no amp or cab or wah or Volume??!!  

Hmm!  Nice!  I didn't try it yet myself, you might be able to control it via snapshots also, and even if you can't turn it on and off, maybe if it's always on it would work?  Anyway, I'll try to give it a shot later on, if just a 5th dynamic block works and you have to disable either EQ or FX that would be great; I'd probably try to do without the EQ block, as I mentioned you can do a LOT of 'EQ' tweaking via amp, pedal's tone setting and even via Cab and Mic for that matter.

• 3 months later...

There are Pod Go Facebook groups that have a number of these .pgp template variations you can load down.  Some can be a bit quirky e.g. the 6 block I mentioned earlier, but some work as described.  Very useful if you need a bit more flexibility. 

Frankly, my view is that Line 6 should add an option for two further blocks and the ability to remove the amp and cab blocks. But they are entrenched in their view as to what they think Pod Go should do and who it's aimed at. I personally think they are absolutely 100% wrong  and are not listening to what it's customers want, but that's just me. I also think they should add DSP info to help customers but again it's something they are vehemently against.