Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT Routing to Scarlett Solo

deparko

I'm dealing with the limitation of the Helix LT without a separate headphone volume control.  I have a Scarlett Solo in the closet so I thought perhaps I could use that as an output to headphones since it has a volume control. My routing is:

Guitar-> Helix LT -> Macbook Pro -> Scarlett Solo -> Headphones

If I plan a backing track from my macbook pro I hear the track but cannot hear anything from my guitar/helix LT. My sound preferences on my mac are Input (Helix), Output (Scarlett). The Helix LT global output is set to "Multi". What am I missing? or does this just not work?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Deparko

You'll need to run Helix direct to Scarlett. What @PierM was probably going to say was that the MAC Input won't map internally to the output, same as on a PC. There are "pipe" programs available for MAC which make that possible, but a pair of cables is probably a lot easier.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

You'll need to run Helix direct to Scarlett. What @PierM was probably going to say was that the MAC Input won't map internally to the output, same as on a PC. There are "pipe" programs available for MAC which make that possible, but a pair of cables is probably a lot easier.

Exactly that, but I wasnt sure if Mac has some magic bullet to map different IN and OUT straight from CP.

If isnt possible, then indeed, it's Helix into Scarlett, and mix between backing track and scarlett hardware input (to reduce latency).

21 minutes ago, deparko said:

would Soundflower solve this..but have not got the configuration down yet. 

That's the one I'd heard of.

Consider how much time you've put into the configuration, vs how long it takes to connect a pair of cables.

Also, consider how happy you'll be when the next MAC OS breaks Soundflower.....

Sometimes the simple HW solution is the best solution.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, deparko said:

would Soundflower solve this..but have not got the configuration down yet. 

Hi,

You could use your Scarlett Solo if you created an aggregate device in the Audio MIDI  setup utility on your Mac.

Use your Helix LT for the input and the Solo for output.

See link.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202000

Hope this helps/makes sense.

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

Also, consider how happy you'll be when the next MAC OS breaks Soundflower.....

Truer words have never been spoken, lol...I don't even remember what Mac  OS I'm running now...At this point I only update if forced to by an application that won't run on whatever I have. Grew tired of every update $hitting the bed for everything else I connect to the damn laptop...

• Upvote 1