Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Digital into MAC

wgdenge

I am sorry of this topic is already answered, but how can I connect my Helix from the Digital XLR output to my Mac?   I would like to keep the USB on the Helix free to use HXEdit.

Or should I just use a DAC to go from 1/4 outs to USB in?

Looking to use GarageBand but keep HXEdit functional.   What do you all use.

Best Regards,

Wayne

You can't use Helix via USB on a MAC while simultaneously using HX Edit?

I don't get it. I'm a PC guy. and I do this all the time.

I assume that you're using Helix as your Audio Interface?

I don't know about Garage Band, but this works fine with Reaper, Ableton and Cakewalk, with both Helix and HXStomp.

Maybe If you describe your complete signal chain, HW and SW?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, wgdenge said:

Looking to use GarageBand but keep HXEdit functional.   What do you all use.

This came up back in January in respect of Logic Pro and HX Edit. As GarageBand is the little brother of Logic then I would guess the same things apply (I need to double check this). This was my reply to the issue with Logic question.

”You will have noticed how Logic Pro takes control of your  HX Stomp if you use it as an audio interface. HX Edit doesn’t like anything else running on USB at the same time and while you’re using HX Edit it can suddenly disconnect if it loses focus on the hardware. That is, for example, if you have HX Edit open and then spend several minutes messing around in Logic, when you go back the connection is gone”.

It has been commented on in these forums for quite a while about HX Edit losing focus on some Macs - (you didn’t mention what model and OS you’re using). While you are editing a preset, should you decide to answer an email, when you click back onto the HX Edit the message pops up that the USB connection is lost. It can also lose the connection if you run iTunes in the background. Annoying, but just one of the many bits of USB voodoo, especially on Macs.

I have my Helix floor constantly hooked up to my Mac via USB into Logic Pro and don’t seem to suffer from the sort of issues that many others appear to have. Don’t know why - maybe I am living on a ley line? There again, I usually don’t edit patches on the fly, but I also have Helix Native as a plug-in, which is like having a full Helix and HX Edit inside the DAW.

I also have GarageBand, among many other DAWs, that I use for troubleshooting odd problems. I will have another look to see if this is still the case and post back later, as l am not in the studio for another few hours.

In the meantime - simple solution, edit using your hardware HX Stomp or run HX Native in Logic Pro X or GarageBand.

Another option - use a Windows PC, as “rd2rk”

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT (4 HOURS LATER): SCRUB ALL MY EARLIER COMMENT - IT WORKS!

O.K. here's GarageBand v.10.3.5 running on an iMac (Retina 5K - 27inch - 3.3GHz Intel Core i5 - 32GB RAM - OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra) switching back and forth with HX Edit v3.11 connected via USB to a Helix Floor for both recording and playback.
Didn't bother with the audio on this video because it is to simply show that it is possible to have both software items running at the same time. 
No apparent issues - unless of course you are running something different.

Edited by datacommando
ADDITIONAL INFO AND VIDEO
  • Upvote 1