Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

guitar impedance input

PaulTBaker

Is there a way to see what the input impedance is?  I mine set to auto, so it will get whatever the first block impedance is set to... I used to have an LA Comp as the first block, I am turning that off or deleting it in some patches and I would like to know how the impedance gets changed.  I saw a list sometime ago that had the impedance for all the blocks(amps, effects, etc) and I guess I could use that if I could find it, however it seems like that would be something you could see.

TIA

https://line6.com/support/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=10395

You got it slightly wrong.  The very first block and only the very first block bypassed or un-bypassed dictates the virtual impedance.  So, if you have a Fuzz pedal in the beginning of the chain that is never ever used in any of your snapshots, that Fuzz will affect your tone. 

After that first block, if you have any other number of blocks that are bypassed, it does not affect the sound in any way.  Only the first block.  Bypassed or un-bypassed.  E.g. you can have 3 Fuzzes in the middle of the chain that are always off -- the sound is the same if they are there or deleted. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, theElevators said:

https://line6.com/support/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=10395 299.53 kB · 81 downloads

You got it slightly wrong.  The very first block and only the very first block bypassed or un-bypassed dictates the virtual impedance.  So, if you have a Fuzz pedal in the beginning of the chain that is never ever used in any of your snapshots, that Fuzz will affect your tone. 

After that first block, if you have any other number of blocks that are bypassed, it does not affect the sound in any way.  Only the first block.  Bypassed or un-bypassed.  E.g. you can have 3 Fuzzes in the middle of the chain that are always off -- the sound is the same if they are there or deleted. 

Although that is the way it used to function it is no longer the case. You now have a new choice for impedance behavior. Under global settings --> Preferences --> 'Auto Impedance' you can now select "First Block" or "First Enabled".  If you select "First Enabled" for this setting and set the impedance to 'Guitar In-Z' = "Auto" on the Input block, the impedance will be set to the optimal impedance for the first active block in your signal chain. That means that there is no longer only one static auto impedance setting available for the first block, regardless of whether it is active or bypassed. As you mentioned, that used to be your only choice of behavior and is still the way it works if you select 'Auto Impedance' = "First Block".

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

Although that is the way it used to function it is no longer the case. You now have a new choice for impedance behavior. Under global settings --> Preferences --> 'Auto Impedance' you can now select "First Block" or "First Enabled".  If you select "First Enabled" for this setting and set the impedance to 'Guitar In-Z' = "Auto" on the Input block, the impedance will be set to the optimal impedance for the first active block in your signal chain. That means that there is no longer only one static auto impedance setting available for the first block, regardless of whether it is active or bypassed. As you mentioned, that used to be your only choice of behavior and is still the way it works if you select 'Auto Impedance' = "First Block".

Yup, I know... I was just going by what OP said his settings were.  To me, this is still unneeded nitpicking and I will never be messing with my impedance setting. 

In all my presets the first block is either a volume pedal or a Throaty wah.  Both of them have the same impedance.  So, ain't broke?  don't fix. lol

3 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

Found this list of impedance by block from the 2.90 firmware. There may be a more up to date one out there.

https://line6.com/support/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=10395 299.53 kB · 82 downloads

exactly what I referenced in my response. 

6 minutes ago, theElevators said:

Yup, I know... I was just going by what OP said his settings were.  To me, this is still unneeded nitpicking and I will never be messing with my impedance setting. 

In all my presets the first block is either a volume pedal or a Throaty wah.  Both of them have the same impedance.  So, ain't broke?  don't fix. lol

exactly what I referenced in my response. 

Cool, just wanted to make sure that the OP was aware of the additional flexibility available on the impedance settings. Will delete my redundant post with the impedance list as I missed it at the top of yours. Cheers!