Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

parallel path input boost 3.1db

PaulTBaker

This is about the 3.1db boost when that gets added to the mixer(?)block when you pull a block down to make a parallel path.  I remember this was a discussion some time ago and that this was a new feature added in the later 2.? versions.  

I'm not sure I understand when it gets done (the 3.1db boost).  I had a patch where on path 1 I pulled the delay down to a parallel path and the 3.1 boost was added.  On the same patch, I did the same on path 2, but the 3.1 boost was not added.  However on other patched, the boost was added each time.

I would like to understand why this is done.  The boost is causing my patches to get louder which makes them not level.  This is not a big deal, but I usually set it back to 0.

So I would love to hear what you guys have to say about this.  Do you keep the boost or do you turn it back to 0.... 

Sorry, I am sure I am not using the correct terminology.  The boost is at the end of the parallel path (when it merges back to the main path), not the beginning. 

All i can tell you that my "master" preset had the parallel loop for delays.  To make it consistent, all my presets have the same identical parallel loop.  You can add any single dummy block there to have the same level of consistency. 

3.1. db boost... because the sound is "added" -- the parallel path of the delay + your main sound.  When everything is in series mode, then there is nothing to add

It goes like: guitar - amp - cab  - delay

versus

guitar - amp - cab --------

+ delay ---

... It's like you have an additional source of current...  I have no idea personally why it's 3.1... But you get my idea.