Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hidden hum when recording from send 1

CharAznable

I have been trying to find a way to record an unprocessed signal and a processed signal from my Helix LT.

Originally I tried an ABY box with a. ground lift.  The clean channel seemed normal but it created a hum in the processed channel along with the processed signal.  If I unplugged the second cable from the ABY box there was no hum.  

So then I tried skipping the ABY box and using a send as the first block in the chain.  It seemed to record a perfectly clean tone in Logic Pro X.  But when I tried putting any virtual amp on the unprocessed recorded track it had the same hum as the processed track running out from the Helix LT.  

I could understand the ABY box having noise issues but I can’t for the life of me understand why the unprocessed send would have a hum.

13 minutes ago, CharAznable said:

What is the best way to set this up in a preset routing?

If it were me I would use the two path lines on Helix LT to separate your signal internally within the unit.

Set both line inputs to be guitar.

Place your fx on path 1.

Do not end path 1 with a route to input path 2.

Instead, change path 1 output to be assigned to a physical output.

Set path 2 output to another physical output.

You could assign one to left and the other to right and then send both signals independently to your mixer or interface or whatever it is you're using.

Once you are in your DAW you can pan each signal how you want or run them both down the middle, whichever you prefer.

Personally, I would pan one slightly left and the other slightly right to provide some sense of space and width.

You can also add a delay to path two, set the mix to 100%, set the repeats to zero and set the time to about 5ms or so.  Then your dry signal will be delayed by 5ms and help it to sound like two distinct guitars because they won't be in perfect unison.  You can experiment with increasing the delay time but I wouldn't go too far.  After a point (sooner than you think) it will turn bad on you.  

If you use FX within your DAW, like plug-ins maybe, you could add just a small amount of reverb to the processed signal and just a small amount of chorus to the dry signal.  That will also help create separate soundscapes for each signal making them seem like different guitars more yet.  I do this exact thing whenever I record acoustic guitar.  Both signals are clean of course because it's acoustic guitar but I use different signal sources (guitar preamp and mic) with a very short delay on one side and then wet them up differently in the DAW and pan them each slightly to their own side to create the impression of width and space.  Imagining the middle as 12 o'clock noon I set them to about 11 and 1 or 10 and 2.

5 hours ago, CharAznable said:

What is the best way to set this up in a preset routing?

Hi,

It’s a Global Setting, under In/Out, and always available for you to use.

For more information on how to use this, see:

Helix LT 3.0 Owner’s Manual - Rev D -English (also available in French and Japanese)

Page 69 -> USB Audio

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3f18374611d5dffd3a45/application/pdf/Helix LT 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev D - English .pdf

Hope this helps/makes sense.