Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sound mutes between snapshot

mkspriggs

I tried searching but didn't see this certain issue. 

I use a stereo rig with 2 EVH heads in my tour rig. I do all switching and effects with Helix and I absolutely love this setup and have been praised by many names larger than I will ever be haha. But I have an issue when swapping between Snapshots there is a small pause in sound. Not volume change it's a pause. So if you are doing a ring out and want to swap to next song which is how I have it setup it will mute all sound and then go to whatever setting are for that next song. But... It still does it even if it's identical setups it goes into meaning if nothing changes for next song start it still mutes. Very confusing lol. Thank you for any help we play a ton of show and just tired of this one annoying issue lol

20190513_142155~01.jpg

6 hours ago, mkspriggs said:

But... It still does it even if it's identical setups it goes into meaning if nothing changes for next song start it still mutes.

Are we really talking snapshots here? I mean, why would you create two identical snapshots within one patch?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, mkspriggs said:

So if you are doing a ring out and want to swap to next song which is how I have it setup it will mute all sound and then go to whatever setting are for that next song.

Hi,

I’m thinking along the same lines as “SaschaFranck” with this one. Are you actually talking about “Snapshots”, or changing “Presets” here?

If you have a sound ringing out, and providing you have “trails” turned on for the relevant FX blocks, there should be no muting happening. Zero, zip, zilch, nada, nothing.

If you mean that you are actually changing “presets” then there will definitely be an audible gap as the Helix ditches one set up and loads another. As of v.3.0 firmware this gap can be avoided, but at the expense of losing one path of DSP. Probably not what you want to do. Although, IIRC, I read a post from Digital Igloo who stated that the time between switching presets was in the region of 50-120ms.

The only other thing that I can think of is that maybe something in your Snapshot setup is interfering with a bypass On/Off state.

Also, when stuff gets weird, do a factory reset and rebuild your presets!

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT:

Post an example of a preset with the misbehaving snapshots for others to check out.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure it's presets, not snapshots, since the OP mentioned "next song". 

If the issue is indeed with a volume dropout between presets, I have not ever had an issue with it, because typically there is some kind of a pause in-between songs.  For example in my case we play a 4 song medley that goes for 15 minutes, and I always am able to find a place where I can switch to the next preset.  I even have one "hybrid" preset that wraps up the previous song so I can start the next song without any interruptions. 

Others here already provided info about preset spillover and snapshots.  I honestly never felt the need to use preset spillover and limit my signal path to 1/2 of what it can be...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, theElevators said:

I honestly never felt the need to use preset spillover and limit my signal path to 1/2 of what it can be...

Personally, I'd use it all the time. But the Helix needed a global block functionality in case it should work out well for me. Which seems unlikely to ever happen.

OK you guys made me realize I was wrong haha. It is presets. Every preset is set up identical but.... The effects and channels change per song. I use preset as the song and swap to next. Apologies for wrong term. Thank you guys for jumping on this I got a show tonight but I doubt I'll do any changing at this rate

Intried to load a video but even compressing it to lowest its too big haha. But I think you guys know exactly what I'm saying 

To answer your question: Yes, there is a way to stop it from doing this. You can just set the Helix to "Preset Spillover", which is done in your global settings under "Preferences".

You just need to know that you'd sacrifice one full signal path for it to work. The reason behind being that the 2 signal paths also represent the two processors of the Helix. Now, in spillover mode, one processor will "prepare" the following patch in the background and the actual switch will only take place once it's ready. Works a treat - but as said, you'd completely lose one half of the available CPU power all throughout (IMO it'd be cool if this could be a patch based setting, but maybe that'd be too confusing and a tough technical challenge).

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, mkspriggs said:

Every preset is set up identical but.... The effects and channels change per song. I use preset as the song and swap to next.

Hi,

I am still confused by this setup you are using.

Every preset is identical? O.K., but why?

The channels and effects change per song? O.K., this I understand and can usually be controlled by Snapshots.

I cannot comprehend how complex this setup must be if you cannot do what is necessary by using Snapshots. 

From the manual:

”Depending on how you set them up, snapshots can act as eight variations of the same tone, eight drastically different tones, or any combination thereof—all within the same preset. A single preset’s snapshots may accommodate all the various tones required for a song in many cases.”

Therefore each of your Presets can contain 64 different parameters assigned over the 8 snapshots. Do you mean to say that this is insufficient for your needs? If it is - well, I really don’t understand how you’re working. 

This gap between presets in the way things are in the world of digital modelling - no way round it other than losing half of the processing power of your hardware. This gap in the audio happens no matter what brand of unit you use - it’s not simply Line 6 units.

It would seem to me that you either learn to live with it, or streamline your workflow, or possibly by a second HX Rack.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

9 hours ago, datacommando said:

Every preset is identical? O.K., but why?

Well, that's something I can perfectly understand. I have a bunch of presets that start with a completely identical sound - but the things I can do within each preset are completely different.

In fact, this is one of the reasons why I'd like to see a global block functionality so much. Because I actually want, say, my 3 clean presets to sound identical. I just want to take them further in different ways (assuming a single preset wouldn't be sufficient to do all the things I'd like).

• Thanks 1