Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 3.15

BAmartin

Dear forum,

It's been six months since the release of 3.10 firmware update and the crowd is starting to show their pitchforks up on the TGP. DI had been really secretive during the last months until two weeks ago... when he started telling us about how L6 staff decided to split the new firmware in two installments because it features intellectual property that will be included in upcoming product releases for the next year.

He has also stated that the EVH 5150 III is a top priority but wont't be present in 3.15 (f%#$), and there are some L6 original amp models as well as half a dozen effects are already cooked up.

Are you guys ready to start the guessing game?

My two cents here...

Maestro Brassmaster Distortion pedal (coming a long way from POD X3, only stompbox not recreated for POD HD and HX tech)

HX Room Reverb

HX Plate Reverb (though the Double Tank and the Plateaux are in that ballpark minus the pitch shifting)

Feedbacker (not as powerful as the Freqout but hope to be not as limited as the Boss FB-2)

HX Metal Zone (standalone and Keeley Modded)

Maybe some modulation (EHX Small Clone Chorus or Boss Flanger BF-2). I'd love a Boss Phaser Ph1-r but the EHX Small Stone was added in 2.90 (slim and none chance to get it).

Hope not more fuzzboxes. We're gonna OD and die from them (not as in "overdrive").

The amps really is a mystery... with the 5150 III already down... maybe a Bogner XTC, a 90s solid state Randall, a Mark II C+, or a VHT... Hope that the Line 6 Albatross once hinted by DI is on its way (though the name s@cks... Line 6 Psychopath, Preposterous or Ludicrous sound better). It's supposed to be an HX version of the untimely loved/infamous POD X3 Insane mode... According to the POD X3 red booklet is something like a Dual Recto preamp feeding the Soldano poweramp... How can you metalheads say no?? I liked using it in... 2009.

Blues lawyers are waiting for the Dumble ODS-100... seems the Litigator model didn't suit their thirst for a U$S 50,000 amp tone.

Whaddya guys think?

Don't wanna leave without saying how great the Helix has become with each firmware update.

All my go-to amps and effects were added im firmware updates (Line 6 Badonk and 2204 Mod, Vintage Digital, Double Tank, Plastichorus, Pebble Phaser) so I'm really grateful.

Keep up the excellent work!!!!

P.s: Really looking forward to seeing what the future will bring.

• Downvote 1

Actually, DI is being as coy as ever. He said they MIGHT split in into two phases. At first he said it would be called 3.15, then he later said no, it would still be 3.2. The new products are unknown except that he said they would not be related to or interface to Helix devices "in any meaningful way".

He also said the term "intellectual property" may be too strong of a term. Careful not to project other TGPers speculations and interpretations as the gospel according to DI.

As for guessing new features the standard approach is "they'll include all the things I personally want", so I personally will not go there.

• Upvote 1

Well... I was already expecting that kind of answer from Team Hardcore Defenders of Firmware 1.0

I was just checking through the firmware release notes and it's been long gone since bass players got a special treat. It'd be nice to see some new bass amps (Trace Elliot, Eden Traveller, SWR) and a decent envelope filter like the DOD Fx25, the EHX Q-Tron or the MXR M82. Something to play wacky funky stuff. Dedicated chorus and flanger for bass would come really handy. Filters and synths taking advantage of the new poly-pitch achievements...

Anything's possible with such talented people in the staff.

• Downvote 1

12 hours ago, BAmartin said:

Well... I was already expecting that kind of answer from Team Hardcore Defenders of Firmware 1.0

Maybe you should to go over to TGP and re-read all the posts from Eric regarding what you have posted here, just to clarify the situation. 

It would be a lot easier than me having to cut and paste the stuff that Digital Igloo posted over there.

in fact - should anyone really feel the urge to check it out they could do it for themselves and make of it what they want.

Some of the best bits are where he says: 

None of the upcoming products are directly Helix/HX related.”

or 

“Just normal, boring ol' cryptic. Nothing to see here.”

All this speculation - it’s kinda pointless really.

Before the 3.0 firmware, I was selling my Helix Rack. After the 3.0, I kept the Rack and also grabbed a HX Stomp.

Imho they perfectly know what to do to revamp the beast, and keep it in the market. The introduction of kind of granular approach (even if isn't a real granular algo), with glitches effects, shuffling loop, drift effects and a solid ambient reverb etc... means to me they are watching the entire market (not really only ODs, high gain, and rock stuff) and patching the Helix to keep it on this century. I don't remember anyone asking for those effects, they aren't really meanstream algos, but instead of just feeding the old userbase and the average Helix user, they did it - making the device ready for a even wider sound design palette (usually territory of Empress, Glou Glou, Chase Bliss etc.) . And this is why I kept my rack, and bought another HX device - instead jumping on a different brand.

Just to say, let them do their job. ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

The introduction of kind of granular approach (even if isn't a real granular algo), with glitches effects, shuffling loop, drift effects and a solid ambient reverb etc... means to me they are watching the entire market (not really only ODs, high gain, and rock stuff) and patching the Helix to keep it on this century. I don't remember anyone asking for those effects, they aren't really meanstream algos, but instead of just feeding the old userbase and the average Helix user, they did it - making the device ready for a even wider sound design palette (usually territory of Empress, Glou Glou, Chase Bliss etc.) .

You've expressed it beautifully. The "out-there" anti blues lawyer effects and the possibility of routing and combining them in myriad ways is what puts Helix above any other modellers, or even standalone pedals. To me Line 6 are a bit like EHX. Big, well distributed and not "boutique" per se... But when when you turn the knobs to the end of the range, magic weird wonderful and risky things happen. The poly update made me get an HX FX to complement the Helix and run complex DSP heavy chains. From a sound design standpoint it's unparalleled, not just for guitar, but through Native for vocals, synths, whatever, it's amazing.

Yes, I'd be happy to see more amps (Bass and Stoner/Sludge) but it's the possibility of new Line6 Originals that keeps me on the edge of my seat (Please make a better EHX HOG/POG), I think that the amp and analog effect department is pretty well furnished already,

On 10/15/2021 at 11:39 PM, BAmartin said:

Feedbacker (not as powerful as the Freqout but hope to be not as limited as the Boss FB-2)

IMHO proper feedback is one of the only things remaining that many modelers are missing that starkly differentiate them from an old-school analog setup. Granted if you have your monitoring set up the right way, with an amp or FRFR, you can generate feedback, but not everybody's rig is conducive to it.  A good Feedbacker is one effect that I think should make its way into any current modeler if the manufacturer wants to provide a truly comprehensive alternative to traditional amps/cabs. Modelers can already do pretty much everything and more than an analog rig. Feedback(the good kind) can be the one glaring omission.

I'm with you on the Fuzz thing, there are more than enough of them for me already in the Helix but that is just a personal preference.

As far as speculation as to what's coming, it remains the usual mystery to me. Doesn't hurt to pontificate though and who knows, if enough users are leaning in the same direction maybe that part of the wishlist gets a boost if it happens to coincide with whatever Line 6 has planned anyway :-)

10 hours ago, PierM said:

Before the 3.0 firmware, I was selling my Helix Rack. After the 3.0, I kept the Rack and also grabbed a HX Stomp.

That's what I mean... Helix has come a long way before coming a decent competitive modeler compared to the big FAS flagship. There are still peoople who vindicate 1.0 firmware and say we have no right to demand any firmware updates. Well, like John Tardy from Obituary screams in their best video "I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY SAY... I'LL DO WHAT I WANT".

10 hours ago, PierM said:

2 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

IMHO proper feedback is one of the only things remaining that many modelers are missing that starkly differentiate them from an old-school analog setup. Granted if you have your monitoring set up the right way, with an amp or FRFR, you can generate feedback, but not everybody's rig is conducive to it.  A good Feedbacker is one effect that I think should make its way into any current modeler if the manufacturer wants to provide a truly comprehensive alternative to traditional amps/cabs. Modelers can already do pretty much everything and more than an analog rig, feedback(the good kind) can be the one glaring omission.

I'm with you on the Fuzz thing, there are more than enough of them for me already in the Helix but that is just a personal preference.

As far as speculation as to what's coming, it remains the usual mystery to me. Doesn't hurt to pontificate though and who knows, if enough users are leaning in the same direction maybe that part of the wishlist gets a boost if it happens to coincide with whatever Line 6 has planned anyway :-)

Honest and kindest opinion from a forum vet. You were able to look at the ongoing shortcomings from which Helix still suffers. Feedbacker is a must... bass amps have been really left behind as well since POD X3 years. Though a couple novelties where included, there are a couple amps I miss like the Line6 Subdub, the Alembic Pre and the Trace Elliot.

The DOD FX25 Envelope Filter is a true jewel used to funk up your bass in an effective and simple way. 

I'll let them do what they want... they actually had their triumphs and losses (this is pure subjective opinion).

• Downvote 1

• 1 month later...

OP here...

DI hinted two of the new effects on the TGP forum... One is green coloured (delay) and the other is an orange coloured one which comes after the green one in the effects chain (reverb).

And that's all there is after 7 months and two weeks after the last update. 

• Downvote 1