Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any way to convert entire setlist to mono patches?

MikeMcK

I feel like this should be a question that's probably asked and answered, but I couldn't find it by searching. Apologies if I just missed it somewhere.

I got my LT last week and spent some time creating a decent-sized set-list of stereo patches. I got it for gigging and I can get away with a slight stereo spread on my PA, but house-sound gigs are almost entirely mono, so I'd like a set list of the same patches but in mono.

Ideally, I'd like to copy the entire set list to another one and somehow convert them so they'll be usable in mono. I understand that I'll definitely have to do some tweaking, but it would be easier than going through each patch to add some mono block at the end of the chain.

As stated above... just use the LEFT output and the presets will sum to MONO. 

35 minutes ago, MikeMcK said:

Ideally, I'd like to copy the entire set list to another one and somehow convert them so they'll be usable in mono. I understand that I'll definitely have to do some tweaking, but it would be easier than going through each patch to add some mono block at the end of the chain.

This is also possible.

• Export your SETLIST
  • Import that it into a NEW SETLIST location.... maybe name the new setlist MONO
  • Now simply use the LEFT out and let the unit sum to mono
  • Adjust each preset to taste while monitoring in mono.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

There might be some FX that don't work as great in mono. For instance, some oldschool Chorusses are completely gone when mixed mono (it's because they're doing exactly the opposite on the L and R sides). Personally, I wouldn't happen to know, which ones, though - as I never play stereo in a live context, so all my patches are mono to start with (cab/IR block straight before the output makes them mono all throughout).

However, a global mono switch is a pretty neat suggestion, would make much sense in case you'd like to check your patches for mono-compatibility in a stereo environment (most prominent example: through headphones).

• Thanks 1

There is a bug where Left/Mono does not actually mix down everything into mono, and only gives you the left side.  I can always replicate it on both Helixes I own.  To avoid having this issue until Line 6 fixes it, do the following:

1. plug in a 1/4 inch cable into Right, and unplug

2. plug in 1/4 inch cable into Left 

-- you now have a mono mix.

Do the same with XLR... 

If you can't hear it, you have not actually spent time trying to replicate this with a simple stereo ping-pong delay.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theElevators said:

There is a bug where Left/Mono does not actually mix down everything into mono, and only gives you the left side.  I can always replicate it on both Helixes I own.  To avoid having this issue until Line 6 fixes it, do the following:

Many thanks for that!

Not that this had been relevant for me so far (as said, my live patches are strictly mono to start with), but it's pretty good to know just in case.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Many thanks for that!

Not that this had been relevant for me so far (as said, my live patches are strictly mono to start with), but it's pretty good to know just in case.

Just stopping in to say I miss you over at TGP.  I was worried. Glad to see your still out there. 

wishing you the best!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, theElevators said:

Do the same with XLR... 

If you can't hear it, you have not actually spent time trying to replicate this with a simple stereo ping-pong delay.  

Thanks for this tip.... it is great to know this in advance of ever needing it myself. 

I've traditionally kept to mono presets, but that doesn't mean I will never go stereo. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

Thanks for this tip.... it is great to know this in advance of ever needing it myself. 

I've traditionally kept to mono presets, but that doesn't mean I will never go stereo. 

sure!  For some reason I seem to be one of the few who is suffering from this.  Even though it's been replicated by Line 6 support and I've seen others complaining about it as well.  It could be that it's related to some Helix settings, who knows...?  But as for me: I run my Helix to FOH via 2 XLR cables.  For my stage mix, I need it to be in mono, and that's where the problem comes in. 

One time I finished my setup and left the Helix off, and when I started playing I only realized 10 songs in that my monitor mix -- a giant Marshall stack was only playing one side.  Nobody in the audience noticed, but it threw me off. 

In my band I have mostly subtle ping-pong delay, but I also have hard-panned long delays and other special effects like wah-wah with a pan, or stutter with a pan that really have to be mixed down to mono, otherwise you only hear one side...

On 10/17/2021 at 5:50 PM, theElevators said:

Do the same with XLR... 

Interesting. I'll try that tonight. Thanks