Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help getting one amp delayed in a dual amp setup.

johneric8

First off thanks to anyone who takes the time to provide me an answer to this question.  I will keep it short but I want to explain first what I'm trying to do.

Back in the day I ran a JCM 800,   and also a JMP Marshall head.   Each head had it's own 4x12 cab.   One of the things that I did was I used a Roland SDE 2000 (I think that is what it's called)

to delay one of the heads by several milliseconds.   So the basically the JCM would be immediate and direct but the JMP was delayed and provide a sound until a few milliseconds later.

Honestly, it was a huge sound and I loved it...      Just so no one is confused,  I'm not trying to do any fancy delays,  or anything like that,  I'm just simply trying to make the second amp head and cab in the chain delayed ever so slightly from the first.     I loaded up the two amps in the helix,   amp 1 being on path 1a and amp 2 being on path 1b.  I also loaded each amp with it's own speaker.   I had everything running in stereo and it sounded great,   but no matter where I put the delay in the chain I couldn't figure out how to get the second amp in 1b to be a delayed signal so it didn't ring out as soon as I hit a chord.

Just in case anyone is confused,   if I were to mute the amp in path 1a,    what I want to see happen is the amp in 1b to not make a sound in time with the my pick hitting the strings.  i want that signal to be delayed a few milliseconds so the sound doesn't happen until a slight pause.  Thanks for any suggestions.

18 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

If you put the delay just after the amp, with the MIX set to 100%, you'll only hear the delayed signal.

I actually tried that but I still head a signal when I first hit the strings.    after amp and before cab?  or after cab as well?

Thanks

39 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

If you put the delay just after the amp, with the MIX set to 100%, you'll only hear the delayed signal.

This is the correct suggestion.... you can also place the delay before the amp on Path B if you want. 

20 minutes ago, johneric8 said:

I actually tried that but I still heard a signal when I first hit the strings.   

Well.... how are you muting the amp in path A?

If you are just turning off the AMP BLOCK, that does not mute the signal just the sound of the amp. The pick sound would still come through on path A.

Try setting the SPLIT before the amps to a SPLIT A/B.

To test the B side only.... simply adjust the slider all the way to the B side. This will stop any signal from going to Path A. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

I actually tried that but I still head a signal when I first hit the strings.    after amp and before cab?  or after cab as well?

Thanks

Yeah,  this all worked but the problem I'm having is that I'm hearing the dry signal slightly on the left side even though I have everything panned left and then right on the two amps..  It seems when I delay the signal on the right channel which is 1b and mute amp 1 on 1a,  I hear the clean guitar on left still slightly from amp 2 even though I have it routed hard right.  So I'm getting the delayed amp perfectly on right side but hearing the original dry tone slightly on left.

16 hours ago, johneric8 said:

and mute amp 1 on 1a, 

You cannot just mute the amp.... you must silence the path. 

16 hours ago, johneric8 said:

So I'm getting the delayed amp perfectly on right side but hearing the original dry tone slightly on left.

It is not clear in your post if you have actually tried the suggestion I made.... which indeed, works exactly as it should on my Helix.

Here it is again..... 

17 hours ago, codamedia said:

Try setting the SPLIT before the amps to a SPLIT A/B.

To test the B side only.... simply adjust the slider all the way to the B side. This will stop any signal from going to Path A. 

• Like 1