Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Owner :)

I just received my Variax JTV-59 Tobacco Sunburst the day before yesterday.  I haven't been excited for a piece of gear in awhile.   Probably last would be my Pod HD500 in 2010, though the possibilities with this guitar are definitely higher.

To be able to change the tunings for when the worship team changes the key of song and play it like I always play has already been awesome during last nights rehearsal.    Can't wait to learn the whole setup with the PoD controlling the guitar and really digging in and utilizing all the different guitar models.

The guitar is beautiful and plays really well  Intonation and action are both spot on.

One thing I did notice was with the three way switch.  Pushing it to the down position it was a little "tight"   Works fine, but wasn't as smooth as my Les Pauls.  Is this typical?  Will it smooth out over time, or should I be concerned with it?

• Upvote 1

I just received my Variax JTV-59 Tobacco Sunburst the day before yesterday.  I haven't been excited for a piece of gear in awhile.  

Probably last would be my Pod HD500 in 2010. The guitar is beautiful and plays really well  Intonation and action are both spot on.

Ditto + Ditto + Ditto! Yeah, same exact experience I had; HD500 in 2010, just dropped the hammer on getting a DT25 and JTV59, same finish early this year. It is quite a nice looking axe, I agree. And it's wicked fun to play! :)

Nice, the DT25 is on my target.  That combination is so intriguing with the Pod at the control center of everything.   Though the new SoundSource speakers are interesting as well, especially to support both electric and acoustic sounds.

How does the DT25 do with the Acoustic models?

• Upvote 1

Acoustic models on the DT25 sound ok. You can use one of the preamp models from the HD500 but the higher frequencies won't be present through the DT-25. The Amplifi 150 and 75 are much better at broadcasting through the FRFR speakers.

When I got the HD 500, immediately got the QSC K10 FRFR system to allow the true amp/cab modeling in the 500 to be heard the way it was meant to be. My Fender Twin colored and ruined those sounds. The K10 also works great with the Variax since no coloration is added to the guitar modeling either.

A guitar cabinet will cut the rich highs on the acoustics. It's ok but really detracts from the acoustic sound. It's best to feed it through some type of PA system or full range speakers.

Perhaps an A/B switch when switching from electric to acoustic to switch between an amp and PA/direct system.

Either that or just have it through a PA and simulate cabs with the HD500.

A full range system can do a good job of simulating a guitar amp but  it doesn't work the other way because a guitar amp doesn't reproduce the high frequencies required to model acoustic guitar.  I have not tried the Stagesource products but my EV ZLX-12P pa speaker does a great job.  I use studio Direct and I can get great acoustic sounds with it.