Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

too stupid to update firmware and edit?

butcher1234

Hi;

Sorry.

How do i update firmware and software for my helix lt.

I download the latest version:

Helix/HX 3.10/3.11 Firmware

I installed it?

Hx edit still says version 2.71.

The line 6 updater finds no hardware and always says it needs to be updated.

I m sorry but i m totally confused.

TX 

31 minutes ago, butcher1234 said:

tx a lot

I downloaded hx edit 3.11 and installed it.

It says installation complete but my helix still shows 2.71

I restaerted  all devices + Mac 

Hi,

When the installation finished, your LT should have automatically rebooted and rebuilt the presets, which updates them to the latest version. If not - do it now. It is also advisable to perform a factory reset when things do not work as expected.

Reset Options

Helix Floor/LT

Button Combination

Description

LED light Fun

3 & 4

Test Mode

5 & 6

Global reset

7 & 8

Reset setlists to factory, Keep IRs

8 & 9

Reset setlists to factory, Clear IRs

9 & 10

Reset setlists to factory, Global reset, Clear IRs

10 & 11

Upgrades existing presets to latest format

11 & 12

Clear current preset

5 & 12

Clear setlists, clear IRs, Return system settings to default

6 & 12

Safe boot mode

To use Reset Options:

• Power off the Helix
  • Hold the desired button combination
  • Power on the Helix
  • Release the button combination

Please note: Buttons are numbered from top left to bottom right.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

When the installation finished, your LT should have automatically rebooted and rebuilt the presets, which updates them to the latest version. If not - do it now. It is also advisable to perform a factory reset when things do work as expected.

Reset Options

Helix Floor/LT

Button Combination

Description

LED light Fun

3 & 4

Test Mode

5 & 6

Global reset

7 & 8

Reset setlists to factory, Keep IRs

8 & 9

Reset setlists to factory, Clear IRs

9 & 10

Reset setlists to factory, Global reset, Clear IRs

10 & 11

Upgrades existing presets to latest format

11 & 12

Clear current preset

5 & 12

Clear setlists, clear IRs, Return system settings to default

6 & 12

Safe boot mode

To use Reset Options:

• Power off the Helix
  • Hold the desired button combination
  • Power on the Helix
  • Release the button combination

Please note: Buttons are numbered from top left to bottom right.

thank you very much.

I tried installing 3.11 several times. It doesn't work. I guess my firmware 2.71 is too old.

Hmmmm

1 minute ago, butcher1234 said:

okay:

I guess my firmware 2.71 is too old to to go to 3.11

so, what can i do?

I downloaded  2.8. but as soon as i open it, it says 3.11

No, it’s not too old - theoretically you can update from any earlier versions of the firmware although there was a major change to the Core operating system in the Helix family of products at v2.80. It was like a brain transplant and lots of people managed to screw up the install and then scream that the update had bricked their hardware. You may see the “Boot Failure” message, but don’t panic this is expected behaviour as the Core is swapped.

Do not simply and randomly download firmware without reading and familiarising yourself with all the Release Notes for the updates. If you are simply trying to force this stuff into the LT you will simply make things worse.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, butcher1234 said:

I guess my firmware 2.71 is too old.

Here are the release notes.

This is the info referring to older firmware:

My Helix/HX is at version X.XX. Can I go straight to 3.11?

Absolutely, but note that if you're starting with a version lower than 2.80, the update will appear to happen twice. This is normal.

It also helpful to know exactly what computer and OS you are using when asking for assistance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, datacommando said:

No, it’s not too old - theoretically you can update from any earlier versions of the firmware although there was a major change to the Core operating system in the Helix family of products at v2.80. It was like a brain transplant and lots of people managed to screw up the install and then scream that the update had bricked their hardware. You may see the “Boot Failure” message, but don’t panic this is expected behaviour as the Core is swapped.

Do not simply and randomly download firmware without reading and familiarising yourself with all the Release Notes for the updates. If you are simply trying to force this stuff into the LT you will simply make things worse.

Tx a lot;

okay.

still, it didn't install the 3.11 update. I think i did everything the right way.

turned line 6 device off, shut down hx edit, downloaded 3.11, installed, opened hx edit - nothing happens. The "update" window doesn't appear.

Thank you sp much for your time

4 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Here are the release notes.

This is the info referring to older firmware:

My Helix/HX is at version X.XX. Can I go straight to 3.11?

Absolutely, but note that if you're starting with a version lower than 2.80, the update will appear to happen twice. This is normal.

It also helpful to know exactly what computer and OS you are using when asking for assistance.

Yes; thank you, i read it.

I use mac os big nur and downloaded the right software. mac book pro 2014 - normal usb connection 

13 minutes ago, butcher1234 said:

opened hx edit - nothing happens.

Ah ha, a Mac and Big Slur.

You may be inadvertently opening an alias back to and earlier version of HX Edit. Solution - Delete all, the Line 6 software that you have already downloaded and restart the MBP. If downloading using Firefox it may be malfunctioning and keeping the old downloads and confusing the hell out of everything. Download the whole thing to your downloads folder and unpack the installer - don’t let Firefox do it.

Now simply re download and perform a clean install of HX Edit 3.11 and let it do it’s stuff.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, butcher1234 said:

I m sorry but i m totally confused.

A nice movie might help - here’s Uncle Chad from the Facebook Helix Family group doing a walk through for the bewildered.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/line6helixusergroup/?multi_permalinks=1918718714978459

34,000 users - must be a good sign.

I think it was originally a POD Cast and can be a little long winded, but stick with it and you should have it mastered.

Start from 1:30 to avoid the tedious intro. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, datacommando said:

Ah ha, a Mac and Big Slur.

You may be inadvertently opening an alias back to and earlier version of HX Edit. Solution - Delete all, the Line 6 software that you have already downloaded and restart the MBP. If downloading using Firefox it may be malfunctioning and keeping the old downloads and confusing the hell out of everything. Download the whole thing to your downloads folder and unpack the installer - don’t let Firefox do it.

Now simply re download and perform a clean install of HX Edit 3.11 and let it do it’s stuff.

IT WORKS !!

tx so much

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, butcher1234 said:

Yes.  It s so much fun. I just tried out fremens sounds; they re so good.

I was a bit nervous because we want to start our album recordings next week and i needed the thing to work :)

Thousands of very happy Helix users out there and firmware updates always seem to be the biggest area of problems. It is a lot easier now than the first updates, but there is always room for human error and misunderstanding of the process. Even though this sort of stuff can be a little disconcerting, very rarely would an update issue turn your hardware into a very expensive boat anchor.

There are many debates on here regarding commercial presets and generally you are better rolling your own. That way you can get a better idea of how all this stuff reacts. You can see demo videos if this stuff on YouTube, and you will never sound quite like them - many factor are involved, even using the same guitar, pickups, strings, etc. It will be different. Luckily some, such as Fremen’s are a reasonable starting point to work off.

Good luck with the recording.

2 hours ago, benandluna said:

I updated mine from out of the box. And now the pre sets have no names. Just numbers. Is this normal or did I mess something up ? 

Which hardware are you talking about? You need to do a factory reset.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, benandluna said:

Helix hx stomp. 

Hi,

In the lower left hand corner of this screen is a white question mark inside a black dot. Click on it and it reveals various help routines, one of which is this. It can be found under the heading “Common Product FAQ” > “Hardware Reset Procedures”.

HX Stomp: Turn unit off and then turn back on. Hold Footswitches 2 and 3 as the unit boots up.

• Upvote 1