Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Variax Guitar with Helix

aa0300

Hi All, 

Does anyone here using a variax guitar with helix? Do you connect the guitar using the 1/4" cable only if you are changing the tunnings and guitar models 'within' helix' OR do you have to use both 1/4" cable as well the ethernet cable into the guitar, i.e. you have to connect two cables to guitar. 

You should never use both the 1/4” cable and the VDI cable simultaneously. If you want the Variax guitar and Helix to communicate (e.g. control Variax models and tunings within a Helix preset) you need to use the VDI cable. Note that this is not just an Ethernet cable; it uses protective shielding at both cable ends. If you just want to use the Variax like a regular guitar and control the model selection manually on the guitar you can use a standard 1/4” cable.

• Like 1

Ok. So does line 6 issues longer VDI cables?

Because the cable that came with the guitar is too short and does not allows me to move away from the helix board. You can imagine when playing live, I may need to move away from pedal board. Any solutions for this?

2 hours ago, aa0300 said:

https://btpa.com/98-030-004-XXX.html

Is this cable ok? Seems they can provide you the exact length you need. 

I saw this website in another forum answer here. 

I have used various cables from BTPA including this one. A little pricey and takes time to arrive but VERY GOOD cables. Never had an issue with them. 

4 hours ago, aa0300 said:

Because the cable that came with the guitar is too short and does not allows me to move away from the helix board. You can imagine when playing live, I may need to move away from pedal board. Any solutions for this?

The cable that comes with the guitar is not a VDI cable. It is used for connecting to a computer to use the Workbench HD product. It should not be used for live play because it is not sufficiently robust.

On 10/21/2021 at 11:12 AM, aa0300 said:

The Variax can use standard Ethernet cables but it is better to get a VDI cable with an Ethercon connector end. VDI are RJ45(Ethernet) cables but much sturdier, tend to be better insulated and coated, and are terminated with the much superior Ethercon connectors. As Silverhead alluded to they, are more robust and attach to the hardware on the Variax and Helix/LT. This exerts much less strain on the more delicate parts of the Ethernet jack than having only a standard Ethernet cable plugged in.  Granted, it is no tragedy if you damage a standard $10 Ethernet cable. Quite another matter if you have to repair the jacks on your guitar or device.

A VDI cable is road-ready and presents far less risk of yanking out in a live situation. Line 6 makes a good one and there are third party Ethercon cables to be had as well.

So...for purposes of testing or even as a backup for your backup VDI cable you could use a standard Ethernet cable. No one can recommend it though due to the risk of equipment/cable damage.  Would hate to have to get a repair for lack of a sturdy cable.