Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Boss RC-3 looper pedal with HX Stomp

imarche

Hi forum!

I'm new to Helix and plan to get a HX Stomp. I'd be using it as my amp-less home rig for practice etc, solely via headphones only.

Setup:

I intend to run the RC-3 in the FX loop of the stomp so that I can use the looper as well as utilizing the aux-in of the RC-3 to stream music to the Stomp

I've a few qns regarding the above setup: 

1) Is it correct? It should allow me to use the looper correctly, as well as streaming music to the stomp even when I'm not recording loops?

2) Where in the chain should I insert the FX loop?

3) Given that my only output is headphones, do I have to run a stereo FX loop or is mono ok? That will take up 2 blocks for stereo FX vs 1 block for mono FX. Is that right?

Thanks for your time!

1 hour ago, imarche said:

Hi forum!

I'm new to Helix and plan to get a HX Stomp. I'd be using it as my amp-less home rig for practice etc, solely via headphones only.

Setup:

I intend to run the RC-3 in the FX loop of the stomp so that I can use the looper as well as utilizing the aux-in of the RC-3 to stream music to the Stomp

I've a few qns regarding the above setup: 

1) Is it correct? It should allow me to use the looper correctly, as well as streaming music to the stomp even when I'm not recording loops?

2) Where in the chain should I insert the FX loop?

3) Given that my only output is headphones, do I have to run a stereo FX loop or is mono ok? That will take up 2 blocks for stereo FX vs 1 block for mono FX. Is that right?

Thanks for your time!

Hi,

Let's see if we can clarify a few points here.

I have a Boss RC-30 Dual Looper (among others) that I can use with my Helix Floor, and as your HX Stomp is the little brother things should be very similar other than you will only have half the DSP that I have available. Therefore, you simply need to patch your RC-3 into the send and return sockets on the Stomp. You really should consider that stereo is the best way to take full advantage of both the units in conjunction with your headphones, although if this restricts your use, for example by running out fo DSP power, then use mono - there are no rules when it come to this stuff - use what works for you in any given situation.

As for positioning  the RC-3 in the signal chain, once again it's where ever you would like it, but bear in mind the the best place is probably at the end after all the other effects. That means that should you have the looper playing back a drum loop, you probably don't want that running onto a delay block  - or maybe you do. As noted there are no rules - experiment. Any effects that you want to send into the Looper place them before the FX Loop block.

Regarding streaming music to the Stomp, I guess you mean playing a backing track, or generally jamming along to, via USB from your computer? That's perfectly normal as any audio playing back into the Stomp on USB 1 & 2 bypasses all the internal processing and effects.

The best thing to do is play around with the Stomp to see what works best for you. You aren't going to blow it up or electrocute yourself.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT:

Here's a video of a guy patching in a Jam Man Looper to a HX Stomp.

Edited by datacommando
Added Video Link
  • Upvote 1

Yes, that's about right! Thanks for the inputs.

Actually I intend to use the aux-in on the RC-3 to play along with a backing track, rather than using USB. At least I'm not constrained having to USB.

So assuming the FX loop is after all the effects, the backing track should not be affected too? Would that mean having to put the FX loop after the amp/cabs?

55 minutes ago, imarche said:

Would that mean having to put the FX loop after the amp/cabs?

Hi,

Yes, that would probably be the best place - that way your backing track will not be affected or distorted by the amp section. Your HX Stomp is essentially working like a mixer then, simply blend in the backing audio.

Possibly the only thing that could be added after the looper is a reverb, which would be used to place all the sounds into the same "sonic space",  but if it's a fully produced backing track it is  most likely unnecessary.

Have fun experimenting.

I have an RC-3 and a Helix floor. The RC-3 doesn't do a lot that the Helix looper won't do, so I rarely use them together. It's just easier to chuck a looper block at the end of the Helix signal chain. As I understand it, the looper doesn't 'cost' much DSP, and you're already using a block for send/return, although footswitches are in short supply on the Stomp. 

I just use a USB cable from my phone or iPad if I want backing tracks. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello!

Finally got to purchase a used RC-3 to use with my HX Stomp. I'm currently using the HX stomp as a amp-less rig, going direct into my headphones.

However, I find my guitar tone changed when I used the RC-3 in the FX loop at the end of my signal chain in the HX Stomp, AFTER a legacy room reverb.

I toggled the FX loop on and off and the tone suck is significant. However, when I moved the FX loop to BEFORE the reverb and AFTER the IR block, the tone change is less noticeable.  Is this something to be expected due to the buffer in the RC-3 and something I'd have to live with? Or is the legacy room reverb a stereo effect and I'm running the RC-3 in mono?  What's your experience on this?

Thanks for reading!

Edited by imarche
New information

On 4/1/2022 at 5:32 AM, imarche said:

What's your experience on this?

Hi,

First thing to check is that the SEND/RETURN block on the HX Stomp impedance matches what your BOSS RC is expecting to see, i.e. guitar input (1MΩ) - “Inst”.

On 4/1/2022 at 6:18 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

First thing to check is that the SEND/RETURN block on the HX Stomp impedance matches what your BOSS RC is expecting to see, i.e. guitar input (1MΩ) - “Inst”.

Thanks! I already have the main input impedance set to 1Mohm and I run OD pedals before the stomp's main inputs. I don't see where I can set separate impedance level for FX loop though. Should I adjust the FX Send Level for it?

On 4/1/2022 at 4:00 PM, imarche said:

Thanks! I already have the main input impedance set to 1Mohm and I run OD pedals before the stomp's main inputs. I don't see where I can set separate impedance level for FX loop though. Should I adjust the FX Send Level for it?

Hi,

As you note - that is the main input impedance setting for your guitar into the Stomp.

The impedance for the SEND/RETURN block is set in the Global Preferences on your HX Stomp. You can set it for either “Inst”, or “Line”. 

Quote from the HX Stomp 3.0. Owner’s Manual - page 51.

”Choose “Inst[rument]” when using a Send/Return pair as an FX loop for stompboxes; choose “Line” when using a Send/Return pair as an FX loop for line-level rack processors or as additional inputs and outputs for connecting keyboards, drum machines, mixers, and other gear.”

On 4/2/2022 at 2:09 AM, datacommando said:

Hi,

As you note - that is the main input impedance setting for your guitar into the Stomp.

The impedance for the SEND/RETURN block is set in the Global Preferences on your HX Stomp. You can set it for either “Inst”, or “Line”. 

Quote from the HX Stomp 3.0. Owner’s Manual - page 51.

”Choose “Inst[rument]” when using a Send/Return pair as an FX loop for stompboxes; choose “Line” when using a Send/Return pair as an FX loop for line-level rack processors or as additional inputs and outputs for connecting keyboards, drum machines, mixers, and other gear.”

Ah I see! Got it! Thanks for pointing it out! I'll test it!

Cheers!

• Thanks 1