Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects: Can’t assign effects loop 1

cmscss

Hi there,

I have a couple of pedals connected to the loops an in HX Effects.

I was able to choose effects loop 2 for switch 5 but for some reason I can’t select effects loop 1 for switch 4. I can only choose send 1, the other switches all have effects assigned. Does anyone know what to check for or what I might’ve done wrong?

Cheers, Ben

4 hours ago, cmscss said:

Does anyone know what to check

Hi Ben,

That seems very odd, but the first thing to check is to see if you can swap loop2, that you currently have on FS5, to FS4.

If that works, you can now check if loop1 functions as it should. If not then clear everything from that foot switch and re-apply the loop.

Also have you tried to recreate the preset in a new slot? See if you can get the foot switches to work just on their own in an empty slot. It’s a process of elimination.

Hope this helps/makes sense .

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 12:58 AM, cmscss said:

I was able to choose effects loop 2 for switch 5 but for some reason I can’t select effects loop 1 for switch 4. I can only choose send 1

A couple things to check.... 

• Did you accidentally insert a STEREO loop on switch 5 instead of a MONO loop?
  • Are you already using "return 1" somewhere.... which would make it unavailable for a loop. 
  • Upvote 1

Thanks @codamedia & @datacommando much appreciated!

So I set all switches to none but still couldn't assign Loop 1. I then checked signal flow and found a block with send 1 assigned, after deleting, I could assign loop 1.

Questions (if you have time):

• I'm in stomp mode, how can you have a block that isn't assigned to a switch?
  • Could it be left over from a block I previously deleted?
  • Does that mean that removing an effect doesn't necessarily remove its block?

Not sure I understand what happened so any help/guidance would be much appreciated.

Cheers and thanks again for your suggestions, 

Ben

51 minutes ago, cmscss said:

Thanks @codamedia & @datacommando much appreciated!

So I set all switches to none but still couldn't assign Loop 1. I then checked signal flow and found a block with send 1 assigned, after deleting, I could assign loop 1.

Questions (if you have time):

• I'm in stomp mode, how can you have a block that isn't assigned to a switch?
  • Could it be left over from a block I previously deleted?
  • Does that mean that removing an effect doesn't necessarily remove its block?

Not sure I understand what happened so any help/guidance would be much appreciated.

Cheers and thanks again for your suggestions, 

Ben

A bit confusing phrased questions - could you rephrase?

What happened:

You can only assign each Send and Return signal once. Loop1 assigns Send1 and Return1 - and since Send1 was already assigned Loop1 couldn't be selected.

@Schmalle So this is why I'm confused...

1. I'm in Stop mode - one block per switch
  2. I removed all effects/blocks from all switches
  3. But I still couldn't assign FX Loop 1 to any switch
  4. So I checked signal flow and there was a block assigned to send 1

How can this be? I removed all effects and blocks from all switches - shouldn't that mean there are zero blocks in the signal chain?

Hence my questions, did it come from a previously deleted effect or something?

26 minutes ago, cmscss said:

@Schmalle So this is why I'm confused...

1. I'm in Stop mode - one block per switch
  2. I removed all effects/blocks from all switches
  3. But I still couldn't assign FX Loop 1 to any switch
  4. So I checked signal flow and there was a block assigned to send 1

How can this be? I removed all effects and blocks from all switches - shouldn't that mean there are zero blocks in the signal chain?

Hence my questions, did it come from a previously deleted effect or something?

It seems you have a wrong concept of the Stomp Mode - one block per switch isn't a thing. You can have more blocks then switches and you can assign a switch to multiple blocks.

2 hours ago, Schmalle said:

I'm in stomp mode, how can you have a block that isn't assigned to a switch?

Anything in the signal view can be there without a switch assigned to it.

The first step is to disassociate the signal view from the stomp mode view.... those dots only have to connect when YOU want them to. 

2 hours ago, cmscss said:

Nope, that's just an assumption on your part :) 

As I state above.... stomp mode (switches) is irrelevant... the chain is managed in signal flow view. You can have all 9 blocks filled and nothing assigned to a footswitch if you want.

The manual will go over signal flow view quite well. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, cmscss said:

Ahh OK, not instantly intuitive but way more flexible I'm sure. Cheers

That's why they make those pesky annoying things called manuals :) 

When you buy something as "deep" as an HX Device (Effects, Stomp, Helix) it's worth the time to read the manual, and keep it close by for quick reference. 

If you like to watch video tutorials... don't limit yourself to HX Effects. The same principles of programming are done on the Helix, so those videos are also relevant, and there are many more of them. 

• Upvote 1

I understand Helix is deep, that's why I printed the manual and refer to it often. But when you're new, it's common to look in the wrong place (like the send and return section) hence a community forum - right?

I truly appreciate the time and the help but if the goal of RTM comments is to make people feel small and unwelcome, then message received. I hadn't grasped things after re-checking the manual (yes, the wrong section) so I felt a bit dumb before posting - ya know?

On 10/28/2021 at 1:46 PM, cmscss said:

I truly appreciate the time and the help but if the goal of RTM comments is to make people feel small and unwelcome, then message received.

My apologies... that was not my intent at all. 

I do like to remind people there are manuals (you would be surprised at how many never look at them), but I don't tell you to go look for it... I do provide the answer as best I can in an effort to help. 

• Like 1

For work, I have to stay up-to-date with about 18 software titles in 3D, design, Video, as well as web CSS, JS, Lunix Server admin from the command line and a range of industry-specific specifications. There are a lot of grizzly industry veterans who dish out RTFM answers on forums so as a result, I'm kind of allergic to these kinds of comments.

After re-reading your comment, I can see you're not one of those so sorry for getting the wrong end of the stick and once again, thanks for your help - it's much appreciated.

Cheers, Ben

• Thanks 1