Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX FX missed opportunity?

adagosto

Does anyone out there think like me....

Was the HX FX unit a missed opportunity in not including the amp modeling and display similar to the Stomp? 

I personally would prefer to have the expression pedal separate from the unit, but otherwise the I/O options are perfect. The size and footprint are perfect. Everything is pretty much they way I'd like to use it.... except it's missing the amp modeling. The LT is too big and I don't really want to use the expression pedal on the board, but that's just me.

Now the Quad Cortex seems even more appealing. It's way, way more expensive, but has all the right features, capabilities and in the right form factor and it's new technology.

IDK....I know I'm just complaining, but I hope Line 6 reps read these things and take notes. I'm starting to think about holding off on Line 6 and see what they come out with next.

Thoughts? Or should I just shut up......I'm going to go practice more....thx!

1 hour ago, adagosto said:

Was the HX FX unit a missed opportunity in not including the amp modeling and display similar to the Stomp? 

No.

I personally would prefer to have the expression pedal separate from the unit, but otherwise the I/O options are perfect. The size and footprint are perfect. Everything is pretty much they way I'd like to use it.... except it's missing the amp modeling. The LT is too big and I don't really want to use the expression pedal on the board, but that's just me.

What @waymda said.

Now the Quad Cortex seems even more appealing. It's way, way more expensive, but has all the right features, capabilities and in the right form factor and it's new technology.

Buy the QC. It''ll be perfect...soon, and will make you totally happy....soon......

IDK....I know I'm just complaining, but I hope Line 6 reps read these things and take notes. I'm starting to think about holding off on Line 6 and see what they come out with next.

Nobody from L6 hangs out here. Really.

Post on Ideascale about how much you'd like L6 products if they were more like somebody else's products. I'm sure they'll make a note.

Ommmm........ :-)

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, adagosto said:

The Stomp is hardly like the HXFX. Three switches vs all the switching and capabilities of the HXFX. No...the Stomp is nothing like it.

Yes, they ARE alike. In the same way that a ball peen hammer is like a claw hammer. They'll both hammer a nail.

One is useful to carpenters. The other is useful to machinists.

Different tools for different jobs. If you want it all, get a Helix Floor.

Have you ever been to TGP? 1000 people bought one thing or another and think the other should be more like the one thing or the other.

They all think that if only L6 (or FAS or ____) had done it the other way, they'd have WAY more sales.

My current laugh is all the people over there saying that the PodGo should have this, that and the other features of Helix.

Depending, of course, on THEIR specific needs. And without costing more. And smaller.

Just dump the useless expression pedal, nobody needs that. Except for all the people who bought it SPECIFICALLY for the all-in-one form factor.

Bottom line - the old saying is true - "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time". 

Also - "A jack of all trades is master of none".

Lastly - Rubber chickens are only funny if they're not for dinner. :-)

• Upvote 2

The Stomp XL has pretty much all the same I/O as the HX Effects, the same number of footswitches, and it includes amp modeling. It just has the color screen instead of scribble strips. The only real difference in the I/O is that the EXP jacks on the HX Effects can either be used for expression pedals or EXT AMP relays. On the XL, they can be expression pedals or footswitches.

10 hours ago, phil_m said:

The Stomp XL has pretty much all the same I/O as the HX Effects, the same number of footswitches, and it includes amp modeling. It just has the color screen instead of scribble strips. The only real difference in the I/O is that the EXP jacks on the HX Effects can either be used for expression pedals or EXT AMP relays. On the XL, they can be expression pedals or footswitches.

I just looked again...the HX FX has two effects loops. The XL has just one. They both have two outputs.

So then my question is this....for the XL, in order to output the signal to two amps, you could 4cm to one amp, but the second amp would only be a single input to the front? Do I have that right?

If that's correct, if the second amp was a tube amp that might be a problem, but if the second amp is a Powercab, would that not even be an issue? Or even a PA speaker? As in, there's no disadvantage to not have a second effects loop on the XL IF your second and is going to a FRFR speakers.

Is that correct?

Many thanks for the clarification on that...

2 hours ago, adagosto said:

just looked again...the HX FX has two effects loops. The XL has just one. They both have two outputs.

They both have two effects loops. It’s just that the HX Effects has the Sends as two mono jacks, whereas the Stomp XL has a TRS stereo send that can be split out into two individual mono Sends.

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

They both have two effects loops. It’s just that the HX Effects has the Sends as two mono jacks, whereas the Stomp XL has a TRS stereo send that can be split out into two individual mono Sends.

Ok. I see that now. This makes the XL even more interesting now....

The HXFX was designed to be the spiritual successor to the Stompbox Modeler pedals and the M-series units. They are marketed to players who get their tone from real amps and have no interest in amp models. If you want amp models, then it's not that the unit designed to not have amp models should have amp models, it's that you should buy the unit that has amp models. Most of the Helix line comes with amp models. Just the one doesn't. So don't buy that one. But all the others do. Buy one of those ones. 

• Upvote 1

To me- as somewhat of an tube amp purist at least in a live situation- the HX FX is a superior unit.

yea, sometimes I’d love to have the modeling, but with the IR’s , The ease of use, the switching capabilities- and the small footprint-

i don’t think id trade mine for a full blown helix tbh

On 10/30/2021 at 5:42 PM, adagosto said:

At the time, I think the HXFX was more of a long overdue update for the M13 workhorse...you gotta go back a while and things were not as they are now.

On 10/30/2021 at 10:00 PM, rd2rk said:

Yes, they ARE alike. In the same way that a ball peen hammer is like a claw hammer. They'll both hammer a nail.

One is useful to carpenters. The other is useful to machinists.

Different tools for different jobs. If you want it all, get a Helix Floor.

Have you ever been to TGP? 1000 people bought one thing or another and think the other should be more like the one thing or the other.

They all think that if only L6 (or FAS or ____) had done it the other way, they'd have WAY more sales.

My current laugh is all the people over there saying that the PodGo should have this, that and the other features of Helix.

Depending, of course, on THEIR specific needs. And without costing more. And smaller.

Just dump the useless expression pedal, nobody needs that. Except for all the people who bought it SPECIFICALLY for the all-in-one form factor.

Bottom line - the old saying is true - "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time". 

Also - "A jack of all trades is master of none".

Lastly - Rubber chickens are only funny if they're not for dinner. :-)

your post reminds of the time someone asked "...when will Line 6 finally make me a proper sandwich?!"....lol!

45 minutes ago, spaceatl said:

your post reminds of the time someone asked "...when will Line 6 finally make me a proper sandwich?!"....lol!

Personally, I'd prefer a coffeemaker, but I'd settle for an HX sandwich.

Many of us are still waiting for our free pony.....you can still vote for it on Ideascale...

• Haha 1