Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects - intermittent display corruption

ian_90

I have happily been using my HX Effects every week for the last 2 years. Today the display started playing up. I am greeted with white noise on the scribble strips during boot up about 50% of the time, and odd graphical corruption on an intermittent basis. I've fully reset and restored my backup several times; this hasn't fixed it unfortunately.

Has anyone got any insight into what may be causing this?

Otherwise the pedal works fine and I even played live with it today and used the tuner despite not being able to see the screen.

The power supply I've been using for the last 2 years is a Voodolabs Pedal Power Digital. Unfortunately I bought a discounted HX Effects that didn't come with a power supply so I can't swap it out. I am willing to purchase a Line 6 DC-3H but would appreciate any feedback first in case this is a waste of money and the corrupted display is a sign of permanent damage.

Many thanks.

IMG20211031204814 (Large).jpg

IMG20211031204933 (Large).jpg

IMG20211031204938 (Large).jpg

IMG20211031204947 (Large).jpg

IMG20211031205100 (Large).jpg

IMG20211031205112 (Large).jpg

IMG20211031212220 (Large).jpg

Next thing to try is re-install the FW.

Be sure to follow all of the instructions, including the seemingly redundant factory reset after the install.

If that doesn't work, contact support, you've probably got a borked unit.

Hope it's still under warranty, but sometimes they'll work with you on that.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your advice.

I just tried:

• Hold right and turn on to boot into manual update mode
  • Connect to PC
  • Run Line 6 Updater
  • Flash firmware to 3.11
  • Turn off
  • Disconnect from PC
  • Hold 6 and tuner and turn on to perform factory reset
  • Turn off
  • Turn on

Unfortunately this didn't resolve the issue.

6 minutes ago, ian_90 said:

Thanks for your advice.

I just tried:

• Hold right and turn on to boot into manual update mode
  • Connect to PC
  • Run Line 6 Updater
  • Flash firmware to 3.11
  • Turn off
  • Disconnect from PC
  • Hold 6 and tuner and turn on to perform factory reset
  • Turn off
  • Turn on

Unfortunately this didn't resolve the issue.

Hi,

Well, it looks as if you have done all the usual stuff that is recommended in troubleshooting this sort of situation.

As that has not fixed the issue, it could be a hardware problem that’s beyond the scope of contributors here.

Best thing to do now is to raise a ticket with Customer Support.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 2

I did experienced few faulty scribble strips, that I fixed myself swapping them with replacement parts, and even if they looked exactly like your strips (plus flashing), I doubt you have 6/6 faulty scribble strips, so it could be the main ribbon cable (that bridge the PCBs) that came loose.

If your unit is still under warranty, it worth it to have it fixed by service. If it's not, and you have some experience with electronics, you could check yourself, if all the ribbon cables are properly inserted.

Good luck.

• Upvote 2

I purchased the official power supply (Line 6 DC-3H) but this didn't make a difference. So I looked into the ribbon cables as suggested:

• Remove both plastic side panels using T10 screwdriver.
  • Remove PCB screws on exposed sides using PH2 screwdriver.
  • Remove screws from back plate and bottom using PH2 screwdriver.
  • Remove plastic washers on jack inputs using spanner.
  • Place unit upside down and lift of back panel (photo 1).
  • Remove hot glue from large ribbon cable using tweazers and pull ribbon cable gently out using flat bladed pliers, and rotate bottom PCB out the way (photo2 ).
  • Remove smaller ribbon cable connecting top scribble strip PCB to the power / I/O PCB (photo 3).
  • Clean ribbon cable connections with isopropyl alcohol and re-insert firmly.
  • Reverse process to re-assemble, using hot glue gun to secure ribbon cables.

This had the immediate effect of improving the boot screen; previously this had always shown static. Unfortunately the scribble strips started playing up again once I started changing presets and digging into menus. I did another factory reset (turn unit on holding FS#6 and tap tempo), and another firmware flash to 3.11 using Line 6 updater. I have used the unit for about 6 hours since then over the last 3 days and so far I have not seen the problem again. So I will call this a tentative success. Many thanks for all the assistance.

IMG20211104210219 (Large).jpg

IMG20211104211414 (Large).jpg

IMG20211104211938 (Large).jpg

IMG20211104212451 (Large).jpg

IMG20211104212521 (Large).jpg

IMG20211104213309 (Large).jpg

• Upvote 3

That one you cleaned is a molex grid connector, and it's rare that they needs attention.

I meant the flex ribbon cables that connects the strips to the main PCB. Sorry for the confusion. :)

Check them out if the problem will come back, but without use any cleaner for those. Just unplug and carefully re-sit.