Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 300 vs 600 vs 700

On 9/2/2021 at 12:01 PM, codamedia said:

1 hour ago, psarkissian said:

The electronics are different too, and not inter changeable between them.

Are they just different parts, or do they work differently? In other words, will presets/custom models build for a Variax 300 work and sound appropriate on the other models? The basis of my question is this: I recent bought a Variax 300, and I really like it and would like a Variax to be the main guitar in my stage rig. However, I'll want to buy one of the higher end models for the better build quality -- with the 300 as a back up on stage. So I'm choosing whether to buy a 500, 600 or 700. I'm leaning toward the 700, although I like the idea of the maple fretboard on the 600.  So I just want to choose one that is fully compatible with the presets I've built for the 300. So...do the differences change how it's used or are they transparent to the user (except for tthat the parts aren't interchangeable?

Thanks!

@jcmathews... I'm not sure how you quoted me as I have not been part of this thread (yet). 

It is my understanding that the "modeling" of the 500, 300, 600 and 700 are the same. The guitars are different, the electronic housings are different, the bridges are different, etc... etc... but the modelling is the same and interchangeable. NOTE: I only own a 300, so I cannot say this with 100% certainty. 

13 hours ago, jcmathews said:

However, I'll want to buy one of the higher end models for the better build quality

FWIW... A standard scale Telecaster or Stratocaster neck works fine on a Variax 300. I put a genuine 80's Tele Neck on my Variax 300 and it immediately became a much nicer guitar to play. 

If I were you... I'd look at upgrading the neck on your 300, then buy a MODERN Generation Variax as your main guitar.... such as a JTV or Variax Standard (Yamaha). That 2nd gen Variax plays nicer with the Helix Line, alternate tuning is separated from the models, and it comes with magnetic pickups for great versatility. The sounds won't be identical between the two generations of Variax... but why should that matter. I own multiple telecasters and strats, none of them sound like each other. 

44 minutes ago, codamedia said:

If I were you... I'd look at upgrading the neck on your 300, then buy a MODERN Generation Variax as your main guitar.... such as a JTV or Variax Standard (Yamaha). That 2nd gen Variax plays nicer with the Helix Line, alternate tuning is separated from the models, and it comes with magnetic pickups for great versatility. The sounds won't be identical between the two generations of Variax... but why should that matter. I own multiple telecasters and strats, none of them sound like each other. 

I haven't rules our buying a JTV. The process of unplugging from the Helix and plugging into the XT Live to tweak a model, then going back to the Helix to see how it sounds, is a bit painful. But if I build Helix presets for a JTV, then needed to use the 300 mid-set (broken string, whatever) would the presets work on the 300? The alternate tunings could be a problem, since you have to build those into custom models on the 300 but they can work on any model for the JTV.

I also kind of like the older generation models. I don't really dislike the neck on my 300; it is very playable and the nut/neck profile is spot on for me (although I'd prefer a maple fretboard, so I might look at swapping it out). And, I really like the look of the 700 and have been told it plays very nicely. The only one of the JTVs that I think would be a good fit (neck and nut profile-wise) is the 59.

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

@jcmathews... I'm not sure how you quoted me as I have not been part of this thread (yet). 

That's weird. I quoted from your post as it appeared in the thread. But I also got an email notification that you responded, and it reads differently from the actual post. Something glitchy going on here. 

30 minutes ago, jcmathews said:

That's weird. I quoted from your post as it appeared in the thread. But I also got an email notification that you responded, and it reads differently from the actual post. Something glitchy going on here. 

Yeah... very strange because I never saw or responded to this thread until this morning... after you quoted me - LOL. 

1 hour ago, jcmathews said:

But if I build Helix presets for a JTV, then needed to use the 300 mid-set (broken string, whatever) would the presets work on the 300?

The guitar modeling on the 300 would be different from a JTV so I suspect you may need to setup duplicate/tweaked presets for when you grab that guitar. I'm also not sure if the guitar models would be in the same positions... which could cause problems if you change models via snapshots & presets. 

1 hour ago, jcmathews said:

I also kind of like the older generation models.

IMO, the 700 is one of the nicest looking guitars I've ever seen and from what I understand the build quality is exceptional. If you already have an XT (as a computer interface) and are comfortable with the processes to make it work well on a Helix, it sounds like you have things in order. 

@jcmathews,...

Different circuitry with different programming between them.

" ... will presets/custom models build for a Variax 300 work and sound appropriate on the other models? " --- No.

Can't mix and match. Not interchangeable between them. Transplants are a whole other complication.

" It is my understanding that the "modeling" of the 500, 300, 600 and 700 are the same. " --- Not quite, but close. The process

is the same. The Model gallery may be the same, but they are made for each specific body type that they go in. Some use

encoder for model selecting, some use a calibrated potentiometer. So as a result, the programs are different on each board.

And the circuit boards are different for each model guitar. They are not interchangeable between them.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, psarkissian said:

@jcmathews,...

Different circuitry with different programming between them.

" ... will presets/custom models build for a Variax 300 work and sound appropriate on the other models? " --- No.

Can't mix and match. Not interchangeable between them. Transplants are a whole other complication.

" It is my understanding that the "modeling" of the 500, 300, 600 and 700 are the same. " --- Not quite, but close. The process

is the same. The Model gallery may be the same, but they are made for each specific body type that they go in. Some use

encoder for model selecting, some use a calibrated potentiometer. So as a result, the programs are different on each board.

And the circuit boards are different for each model guitar. They are not interchangeable between them.

So, just so I understand completely (because this question will determine my next Variax) if I build a model for a Les Paul tuned down a half step in Workbench for my 300, when I use that same model on a 600 or 700 it will not activate that same model/tuning? Or will it activate the model and tuning but just sound different? 

There will be differences, so it may sound different, or may not load correctly from guitar to guitar. It's the same with JTV and

the two Shuriken guitars as well. Body tone type, fix bridge verses tremolo,... all play a part in the modeling process and are specific to that guitar.

40 minutes ago, psarkissian said:

There will be differences, so it may sound different, or may not load correctly from guitar to guitar. It's the same with JTV and

the two Shuriken guitars as well. Body tone type, fix bridge verses tremolo,... all play a part in the modeling process and are specific to that guitar.

Hmmm...maybe buying another 300 and swapping the neck is the right answer for me, then. There's nothing I really dislike about the 300 I bought, and I got it for a GREAT price ($200 US for both the guitar AND a POD XT Live). So, some things for me to think about...thanks for the info!