Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Different audio levels between patch snapshots and amp/cabs

terryjagger

I am using a stomp xl. I am new to this as well.

What is the best way to make up for the differences between audio levels as I stated in the subject?

When I bring a new amp/cab up the master is usually max and the level is lower than the DeLaune patches I have. Adjusting the amp channel volume does not seem able to make up for it.

I thought I'd try the volume/pan object but that is maxed out already too.

I dont want to introduce any more distortion or overdrive. Just increase the level in the preset/snapshot so that I do not have to play with the actual volume knob while performing.

Any Ideas will be helpful.

typically, you use the Master channel volume to control the amount of power distortion you want.... think tone... The channel volume is used to control the "loadness" and is used to match patch levels.... That is meant to be a very high level solution... there are a million things that can go into it, like gain staging (making sure the gains are matched or close at each block when they are on or off), and other things.  Some people say to start with your lowest level patch and bring the other louder ones down to match that one patch.  Some will add a gain block at the end if they need more volume.

There are some really good threads where smart people (not me :)) talk about the best way to match patches...   For me, I have a helix floor (and Stomp XL) and normally create patches on my computer, so I downloaded the free LUFS loudness meter and use that as a starting point.  I try to make things average around -13 to - 16 db.  That has really helped me.  I have always been able to just use the channel volume to match patches, and never had to add a gain block at the end.  

Sorry for the ramble... hope this helps....

If you can't raise the level sufficiently to match other patches using channel volume, it's a good index for the other patches being programmed too loud.

Whatever, there's several other options to raise levels:
- Turn up the level of the cab (or cab/IR block).

- Turn up the level of the output block.

- Insert a gain block and turn the level up.

The latter would be your easiest bet to make it controllable and have decent visual control (which isn't the case when controlling individual parameters via snapshots).

Anyhow, as said above, I'd rather go for more civil patch levels.

I have a two step method.

When at home, I will use a DAW with a LUFS (Loudness meter).  I've found that the LUFS meter generally get's me closer than a decibel meter will, due to how we perceive the loudness of certain frequency ranges.  This will usually get me pretty close.  To adjust the levels themselves.  I use channel volume first, and if that doesn't allow me to get loud enough compared to other presets, then I'll start increasing the level on the Output block and then finally on the cab blocks.

Then the second stage is, I always bring my laptop with my at practice.  I can't play at gig level at home, so even with the loudness meter it needs some tweaking once you're playing in the mix AND at gig level.  So at practice I'll make some finer adjustment with my ears.  That usually get me to a point where any differences are minor enough that once I set my Helix main volume during a sound check, everything sits pretty well, even without a sound guy.

One thing to remember,, especially if you use a decibel meter, is to try level set as close to gig level as possible.  This is because decibels or not linear, they are logarithmic.  This means two patches that sound very close at 65 decibels but are actually off by say 5, decibels, will sound VERY off when listening to them at around 90 decibel.