Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT drop out

5mafre5br

I’ve been gigging with Helix LT for several years just fine (XLR left output direct into mixer). At band practice last night volume decreased and then came back, and it started clicking/popping. Then it stopped working. No sound. Then bottom row of buttons made some noise, and top row worked ok, then stopped again. Same when changing banks. Tried power off – nope, change guitar cable – nope. Then it began working like normal, but had a few seconds randomly dropping out. Seems to be working fine now, but I am skeptical.  Any ideas what the problem is? 

Thanks, Joel

1) So you think this is not a hardware issue?

2) Did you have this problem?  Is reset what you did to fix it?

3) I imagine some others had this problem.  Is reset what they did to fix it?

Now I am feeling very insecure about my Helix LT reliability, and not sure I want to continue with it.  I'd feel better if I knew that hundreds of people fixed this problem with a reset, and it wasnt a hardware issue for them.

53 minutes ago, 5mafre5br said:

1) So you think this is not a hardware issue?

2) Did you have this problem?  Is reset what you did to fix it?

3) I imagine some others had this problem.  Is reset what they did to fix it?

Now I am feeling very insecure about my Helix LT reliability, and not sure I want to continue with it.  I'd feel better if I knew that hundreds of people fixed this problem with a reset, and it wasnt a hardware issue for them.

Just do the reset.

It either works or it doesn't.

If it doesn't, you've already done what the support tech is going to tell you to do when you call.

It really is troubleshooting 101.

Just do it.

DON'T FORGET TO BACKUP FIRST!

You gigged with it for "several years" without a glitch. Why losing confidence the first time you have a problem in years?

Just reset the unit and see if problem is gone. At least that way you know that if it will come back after a full reset, it's stuff that probably needs service attention.

I agree with the full reset.... that is always solid advice when dealing with computer devices that are acting out of the ordinary. 

Two other things to consider...

• Did phantom power accidentally get turned on at the mixer? The Helix does strange things when phantom power is on. 
  • These units are susceptible to power... are you sure there were no power issues at the practice spot that evening? 

If I had the problem now, and do a reset, and then it worked, that would be proof that reset fixes the problem. But - it is working fine now, so there is nothing for a reset to prove. I am worried it will happen again, but on stage.

I checked - no phantom power, and no apparent power issues. Maybe I should buy another Helix and keep it as a backup on stage? 

This is all good advice, and I really appreciate it! 

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I was not having the issue any more, I did a reset/update, which I should probably do anyway.  I did the following:

backed up bundle and set lists

factory reset the LT (buttons 10&11) - set lists seemed to remain intact

updated my HXedit to 3.11

updated my LT to 3.11

updated firmware

factory reset the LT, because it asked me to (buttons 9&10) - this time the set lists were erased

imported my set list

things seem to be working as usual

My question is:  Is this the procedure I needed to do to refresh the firmware and remove possible glitches?

thanks,

Joel