Jump to content

As Close To My 6505+ I Can Get?


mattbarden
 Share

Recommended Posts

Bet you thought this was gonna be another "How do I dial in?" thread. Well you were wrong, but will be rewarded!

 

In the spirit of being cool to others, here's a patch I've worked on quite a bit and it's as close as I can possibly get to the sound and feel of my actual 6505+ using the same IR. Snapshot #3 "Dirt Face" is the one in case it boots up another, but it shouldn't. I use ML Sounds Lab's Mega OS "Almighty" preset with it, but it still might be a good stepping stone for others even without the same IR.

 

Oddly enough, the PV Panama model was not involved in the making of this patch and declined to comment...Enjoy!

My 6505 Clone.hlx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is this for helix or hx stomp? I once tried to load a helix preset to my stomp and I had to reinstall the whole damned thing as the preset corrupted it and it stated "rebuilding preset X" for eternity at startup. However it would be cool to see how you managed this, I've got my 6505 which i love and would love to replicate with my stomp, if this is a helix preset, can you take screenshots of the settings and blocks and explain a little?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ossianott said:

Is this for helix or hx stomp? I once tried to load a helix preset to my stomp and I had to reinstall the whole damned thing as the preset corrupted it and it stated "rebuilding preset X" for eternity at startup. However it would be cool to see how you managed this, I've got my 6505 which i love and would love to replicate with my stomp, if this is a helix preset, can you take screenshots of the settings and blocks and explain a little?

It's for the full Helix, but I suppose I could make a cut down version without all the extra stuff in my snapshots and upload it. How many blocks are on the Stomp again? I'll take some screenshots later too for those interested.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Screen caps for those with a Stomp that want to recreate this preset. It's surprisingly simple, but took a lot of re-amping and A/B'ing to figure out. The pics are numbered in the order they should be in your chain to match mine. I am mostly using an LTD EC-1000 with a Custom 5 in the bridge with this for reference. The digital world is so crazy. In real life I use a Tube Screamer into my 6505, but that and the Panama model in Helix didn't sound or feel anywhere close. Das Benzin and Horizon Drive for the win!

 

EDIT: Now that I have a bit more time I would say it's about 95% up to my 6505+, which is what I heard a lot of people saying that's how they felt about their Kemper so I'm pretty satisfied with it. I should also clarify, this isn't supposed to be the end all, beat all 6505 mix ready tone. This is just supposed to get as close as I can get to what I hear and feel when I run my amp through a Torpedo Captor and use impulse responses. It could sound closer, but adding extra EQ and stuff inside the Helix would always take away from something else in a way I didn't like and it was usually in the feel of playing. Not something I was willing to sacrifice for the little bit of difference it made. The only real comparative difference I hear is there is a little something extra going on in the low end of the 6505+ that I just can't get out of the Helix at all, but the result is the model sounds a tiny bit tighter and brighter. IMO, it also plays nicer with your guitar buss if you are using combinations of real amps and sims since it isn't already processed to death going in lol. In this case less was more and just because you can doesn't always mean you should! 

1 Input.png

2 Overdrive.png

3 Noise Gate.png

4 Amp.png

5 IR.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello, awesome. Definately gave me very similar vibes to my 6505. I found a IR in gods cab from wilkinson audio and tweaked the parameters only on the amp a little to fit the IR and my EMG81 equipped guitars. I figured as the IR library is free from their site (best Mesa OS I have found so far) I can upload it here, tell me if I need to remove it and I will. Lowcut at 96hz and high cut at 8.2khz. Can probably be tweaked a little bit more, the emg81 in this particular guitar is very hot on the output, hence the gain rather low. The Benzin lead is great as it has got a lot of useful gainrange.

 

I only loaded the 4 active instances in your pictures. Are there any other blocks that add to the flavour of the 6505 or are they merely for other vibes/amp sounds? Is the additional block of horizon gate due to the built in one on the horizon drive not enough in your opinion?

Benzin lead 6505esque.png

C414_2_inch_edge_pres_2.wav

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ossianott said:

Hello, awesome. Definately gave me very similar vibes to my 6505. I found a IR in gods cab from wilkinson audio and tweaked the parameters only on the amp a little to fit the IR and my EMG81 equipped guitars. I figured as the IR library is free from their site (best Mesa OS I have found so far) I can upload it here, tell me if I need to remove it and I will. Lowcut at 96hz and high cut at 8.2khz. Can probably be tweaked a little bit more, the emg81 in this particular guitar is very hot on the output, hence the gain rather low. The Benzin lead is great as it has got a lot of useful gainrange.

 

I only loaded the 4 active instances in your pictures. Are there any other blocks that add to the flavour of the 6505 or are they merely for other vibes/amp sounds? Is the additional block of horizon gate due to the built in one on the horizon drive not enough in your opinion?

Benzin lead 6505esque.png

C414_2_inch_edge_pres_2.wav 8.09 kB · 1 download

Yeah the Horizon Gate is just to tame a little bit of noise I can still hear if I wear headphones. It might just be inherent to my environment too so some probably won't even need that gate. All the other stuff in the patch is for other snapshots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lawrence_Arps said:

is the Das Benzin a quiet amp?  that Chan vol seems very high even with a low gain setting and the master down to 6.    Most of my Overdriven amp tones end up with the Chan vol down around 4-5 but I've never used that amp.

See and to me that seems really low for channel volume. Since you say it's with your overdriven tones, what all are you running in front of the amp? I'm curious to know what your gain staging looks like. I think the only time I've ever even had to turn down the default channel volume was on one model, I forget which one, but it was because I was running 2 IRs in parallel back then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, mattbarden said:

See and to me that seems really low for channel volume. Since you say it's with your overdriven tones, what all are you running in front of the amp? I'm curious to know what your gain staging looks like. I think the only time I've ever even had to turn down the default channel volume was on one model, I forget which one, but it was because I was running 2 IRs in parallel back then.

 

Interesting huh!
My highest Chan vol is always set by my cleanest tone...In general I try to keep close to unity across the board - so the level with all blocks bypassed is the same as the patch - at least for rhtyhm patches or snapshots.  Solo ones run about 6db higher. Output meter is running about 75%

I do all my leveling at the amp and I dont really use overdrives or other boosts - If I need more gain I turn the Gain up - and if I need gobs of gain i choose an amp that has that - my most overdriven tone at the moment is using the Bogner (German Mahadeva).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lawrence_Arps said:

 

Interesting huh!
My highest Chan vol is always set by my cleanest tone...In general I try to keep close to unity across the board - so the level with all blocks bypassed is the same as the patch - at least for rhtyhm patches or snapshots.  Solo ones run about 6db higher. Output meter is running about 75%

I do all my leveling at the amp and I dont really use overdrives or other boosts - If I need more gain I turn the Gain up - and if I need gobs of gain i choose an amp that has that - my most overdriven tone at the moment is using the Bogner (German Mahadeva).

 

Ha, we essentially do the same thing only in reverse. My drive tones are about 95% of my sound so I dial those in where I want them hitting the recording input then go back and level the cleans. Oddly enough my output meter is also right around 75%. Different strokes for different folks but as long as it gets us there in the end right lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...