Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Favourite custom IRs?

neilius

I recently got back into using my Stomp and found a bunch of ownhammer IRs i grabbed ages ago. Started realsing that some of these custom IRs are really very good! As its been a good year since i played with the Stomp i was fairly jaw dropped to see 8 blocks and the poly turn up! Those were on my wishlist.. Anyway, interested to hear which IRs you guys like? Here's a little sample of said IR. Enjoying this unit a lot now :)

I tried ML Sound Labs Mega Oversized and Freeman. Both great but I prefer the freeman pack. Later going to try the BGNR or BOANER and maybe ORNG pack.
As for bass, lollipopline has free IRs, SVT810_OlympicsIII is awesome with a Hartke 410  IR, latter not from shift line, because theirs sounded nasaly, but I will link in later when I get home, it is also free.

Heard that redwirez also make awesome IRs but haven't tried them so far.

IRs make a huge differrence in tone compared to stock cabs.

You could go on forever with different IR's. They were a revelation when they came on the scene, now it's just another tweaking mission to add to tweaking mission we already had before lol, always searching for that perfect IR, or one that sounds maybe a bit better than what you had.

I don't know how similar each vendor's IR's are for the same cabinet's, but so far in my experience, the fremen marshall stuff is pretty good. The guy from Tonewars on youtube had two IR's based on a Diezel I think, foe sale on the marketplace. Those, and the fremen's are the best I've used so far, although they are for heavier tone than the video above I expect

• Like 1

20 hours ago, neilius said:

Anyway, interested to hear which IRs you guys like?

I like some of the Celestion IR's (celestionplus.com)... not only for sound, but also their simplicity.  A handful of options instead of hundreds. 

My recent favorites are the Michael Britt IR's. https://mbritt.com/product-category/ir/

He created IR's specifically for live use from his personal stock of cabinets. Although his is mostly a Kemper user, he does have a general set of IR's that work with the Helix (the blended IR pack).

• Like 1

I went from Michael Britt's to Ownhammer Revolution Debut Bundle to York Audio IRs. Each of them are good in their own right, but do have their own sound signature. For me, buying an IR pack is like hiring a producer and getting their take on a cab. They don't always sound the same because of differences in the setup, power amps, mic position, ...

To me Britt's are very mid-heavy and a bit dark -- not bad at all. Ownhammer tend to be fat/warm, with a lot of lows and low mids (not always a good thing). York Audio are brighter (not too much) and have less emphasis in the lows and low mids; more balanced overall. I am currently using York Audio because I find it fits better in a dense mix with 2 guitars + keys. With only one guitar I also like Ownhammer IRs. YMMV.

Ah, and 3sigma acoustic IRs for acoustic and piezo.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 8:11 AM, emagli said:

To me Britt's are very mid-heavy and a bit dark -- not bad at all.

Yes... I love that about them :)

After watching several videos of Michael Britt explaining his "live" needs I realized he approaches things the same way I do... but he has a much better "project studio" to experiment and create with. His IR's  are more like an "amp in the room" sound on stage (through monitors, FRFR or IEM's)... but still translate really well to the FOH. 

I've always found that the studio guitar sounds that work great in recordings often sound/feel too thin on a stage. His IR's bridge that gap really nicely "for me"! They may not do the same for anyone else :) 

22 hours ago, codamedia said:

I've always found that the studio guitar sounds that work great in recordings often sound/feel too thin on a stage.

Very good point! I guess it was the relative lack of high end that caused me to move on from them — I need those highs to cut through. Whereas with other IRs I always gravitate towards the most mid heavy mics or mixes. 

The other thing is that IRs from a different producer need different amp eq and low/high cuts. This is why I like to settle with one producer even though many of them would work for me. 

• Like 1