Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FRFR sampling for Helix, surprising result which is best!

bbronchick

I've had the HX Stomp, the big Helix, the LT, and now the HX Stomp XL (love it, perfect size), not to mention the modelers from all the other guys. I have tested EVERY, I mean EVERY FRFR cab - Line 6 Powercab, Atomic CLR, Yamaha DXR, Headrush, Xitone (regular and MBritt), and even the Accugroove (one of the best), but honestly, the BEST setup I've settled on is quite simple:

1. Celestion F12 X200 full-range speaker mounted into a small open-back Mojotone lite cab (21 lbs loaded)

2. TC electronics "BAM" power head (3 lbs, 200 watts. Unlike most of the powered speakers, the BAM has tone controls so you can tweak the master eq for the venue vs. change the eq on the Helix unit)

It really does the "amp in the room" tone best and unlike the others, you get some real speaker distortion instead of simulated.

Cost: Speaker $150 (new), cab $225 (used), TC power amp $150 (used), total $525, cheaper than most of the powered FRFR cabs. The TC power amp fits in the small Line 6 bag with the Stomp XL. Guitar in one hand, speaker in the other, Helix bag over the shoulder, and ONE trip from the car!

I have a 212 cab with V30s and thinking of swapping them for the F12 X200. Currently I am using an Alesis monitor wich is ok, but not the real thing. My only conern is that I play bass in a band and those celestion speakers range is in between 60Hz-20000Khz. I am  unsure how it would handle a tuned down 5 string bass :/ 

I used to run a full range (coax) eminence in a Peavey Bandit.... and just plugged my Helix into the effects return of the amp. No tone controls, but the master volume, reverb and presence worked. It worked really well and would still be using it today if it hadn't been stolen. 

Since you've tested a lot of speakers maybe you can help me find something, though my needs are quite different than yours. 

I would like to find an inexpensive pair of FRFR-style powered speakers that can be used for guitar and bass practice... and for TV/music, because the practice room is also a living space. I don't need venue performance volume levels either, of course. 

I am not chasing a specific sound or even everyone's favorite "amp in the room" feel for this application. I'm a new player who has only played through a modeler and a cheap PA, so I am probably ignorant and easy to please! 

If you can think of any smaller FRFR systems that might be good for general use too, I would love to hear about it. 

10 hours ago, Horseflesh said:

Since you've tested a lot of speakers maybe you can help me find something, though my needs are quite different than yours. 

I would like to find an inexpensive pair of FRFR-style powered speakers that can be used for guitar and bass practice... and for TV/music, because the practice room is also a living space. I don't need venue performance volume levels either, of course. 

I am not chasing a specific sound or even everyone's favorite "amp in the room" feel for this application. I'm a new player who has only played through a modeler and a cheap PA, so I am probably ignorant and easy to please! 

If you can think of any smaller FRFR systems that might be good for general use too, I would love to hear about it. 

If you want cheap and decent - yamaha HS5, or HS7 if you want a bit better sound. I can vouch for both of those and they're probably the best low cost solution that I came across.

If you're talking cheaper than that, I don't know but no doubt there is something out there.

Thanks @Paulzx, I'll check those out. 

Hmm, I realized that in my specific case I may not need self-powered speakers. I have an unused home theater receiver in that room... old enough it doesn't have HDMI but it should be fine for stereo audio still. Since I also want something for general tv/music as well as bass/guitar, maybe I should be looking at "bookshelf" speakers, not monitors?