Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

helix floor snapshot bug?

matteaves84

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums so not sure if this topic has been raised or not.

Been using Helix floor regularly live for the past few years and I've done every update. I recently created a new preset for a theatre show with some heavy usage on the DSP, using 2 powercab 212's on stage too, 

Basically the problem is, when switching snapshots, the sounds change as expected but the display and footswitches don't. If I go into stomp mode I can see foot switches change and efffects come on and off etc. I've also got other presets I've made for other things and they work fine. 

I can only assume as this is the most heavily laden preset I've made I'm using too much DSP, I'm changing powercab speakers via snapshots (which I've never done before so suspect this is the problem) and I've got 2 amps, 2 IR's going to a separate chain to FOH, lots of fx pre and post that I switch in and out. 

Anyone come across this? Or have a fix? Thx in advance.

Matt.

I doubt this has anything to do with the complexity of the presets... my live presets have a lot going on and I that doesn't change anything on the display side. (note: I'm on an LT with performance view, not scribble strips)

Can you explain what exactly isn't working in the display?

1. Is it not updating the signal flow view?
  2. Are the snapshot "scribbles" and "footswitches" not following the actual change?
  3. Is it just not returning to the view you are expecting?

Have you restarted the Helix? Being a computer this can often solve silly hiccups. 

Short of that, a full "BACKUP", "RESET", "RESTORE" procedure is sometimes required. I've never encountered the need for that in my three years as an owner, but I've seen it successfully mentioned several times on these forums. 

Hi Codamedia,

1. Is it not updating the signal flow view? - correct you tap a foot switch and nothing visible happens. The sounds change as expected but that’s it. 
  2. Are the snapshot "scribbles" and "footswitches" not following the actual change? - correct, they just stay put.
  3. Is it just not returning to the view you are expecting? So when I select the preset, it stays on the last saved snapshot and doesn’t visibly change.

I think you’re right about attempting the backup and restore, that was my last resort. 

I was on a show last night and after multiple reboots, and rebooting powercabs incase that was the issue, still wouldn’t go away.

thanks for the reply. 
matt. 

• Thanks 1

Are you certain you're running the latest firmware? I did run across a bug that was somewhat similar to this during one of the beta periods, but it was taken care of with the update. As mentioned, doing a reset and a restore from backup is always a good idea, especially if you haven't been doing it after updating.

• Like 1

Had a similar situation happen with my floor unit.  Helix -> Powercab 112+ via L6 Connect.  Latest firmware, everything was working fine.  Had a gig a couple months back where the system completely froze up as soon as I tapped preset 1A in the User 1 folder.  No response from any button/control.  Full power cycle, still froze.  Pulled together a quick backup (Stole the lead singer's amp) and limped through the show.

Got the unit home, did a full reset and it came back to life as expected.  Tapped preset 1A again - FREEZE.  Reset again, and then deleted preset 1A - Helix has worked fine ever since.

Not sure how the preset became corrupted, but it wreaked havoc on the system - to the point where I've semi-retired the main Helix and transitioned to a hybrid pedalboard using HX Stomp and outboard pedals into a Fender Tone Master Twin.  For now, I can't trust the Helix to be reliable for a show.  I hope I can some day, but not now...

1 minute ago, GutchGtr said:

Had a similar situation happen with my floor unit.  Helix -> Powercab 112+ via L6 Connect.  Latest firmware, everything was working fine.  Had a gig a couple months back where the system completely froze up as soon as I tapped preset 1A in the User 1 folder.  No response from any button/control.  Full power cycle, still froze.  Pulled together a quick backup (Stole the lead singer's amp) and limped through the show.

Got the unit home, did a full reset and it came back to life as expected.  Tapped preset 1A again - FREEZE.  Reset again, and then deleted preset 1A - Helix has worked fine ever since.

Not sure how the preset became corrupted, but it wreaked havoc on the system - to the point where I've semi-retired the main Helix and transitioned to a hybrid pedalboard using HX Stomp and outboard pedals into a Fender Tone Master Twin.  For now, I can't trust the Helix to be reliable for a show.  I hope I can some day, but not now...

Hey, following the advice on here, I backed up, factory reset and then reloaded, seems totally fine now. I’ve also since deleted all my old dead presets so I’ve only got a few on there to load incase that was anything to do with it. I’ve got a couple of shows this weekend, so if it does let me down I’ll be posting my findings on here and getting rid of it! 
I’m like you, if I think it’ll let me down again, that’s the end of it, it’s gone! 

cheers.

Matt. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matteaves84 said:

Hey, following the advice on here, I backed up, factory reset and then reloaded, seems totally fine now. I’ve also since deleted all my old dead presets so I’ve only got a few on there to load incase that was anything to do with it. I’ve got a couple of shows this weekend, so if it does let me down I’ll be posting my findings on here and getting rid of it! 
I’m like you, if I think it’ll let me down again, that’s the end of it, it’s gone! 

cheers.

Matt. 

I hope the weekend is incident free for you and everything works great!  Looking forward to hearing your feedback next week!

Cheers,

Dave

4 hours ago, GutchGtr said:

For now, I can't trust the Helix to be reliable for a show.  I hope I can some day, but not now...

4 hours ago, matteaves84 said:

if it does let me down I’ll be posting my findings on here and getting rid of it! 

I can certainly understand a drop in faith when gear lets you down... I have been there many times over my 40+ year career. 

That said, I have never ditched an amp just because a tube failed... I have never ditched a pedal because a jack or switch failed, I have never ditched a guitar because a pickup failed and I will never ditch my Helix if a preset became corrupt.  Those are the reasons I carry backups to my gigs and have always carried backups to my gigs. 

The concern is when "tubes continue to fail", or "presets continue to become corrupt". IE: Don't let the "one-offs" scare you away! 

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, codamedia said:

I can certainly understand a drop in faith when gear lets you down... I have been there many times over my 40+ year career. 

That said, I have never ditched an amp just because a tube failed... I have never ditched a pedal because a jack or switch failed, I have never ditched a guitar because a pickup failed and I will never ditch my Helix if a preset became corrupt.  Those are the reasons I carry backups to my gigs and have always carried backups to my gigs. 

The concern is when "tubes continue to fail", or "presets continue to become corrupt". IE: Don't let the "one-offs" scare you away! 

Just my 2 cents.

Agree 100%.  I take full responsibility for not having a back up at the ready.  If nothing else, the failure forced me to develop a backup plan which, for the short term, is the Helix.  

I still use the modeling tech via an HX Stomp, but am not completely reliant on it.  Granted, the current pedalboard isn't as flexible as a Helix, but I find I only used a couple presets with a couple snapshots in each.  The amp model I leaned on the most in the presets was a Twin, so grabbing the real deal made the most sense.  I love the Derailed Ingrid, but can use pedals to get close to that tone.

At the end of the day, I would prefer the simplicity of the Helix and a PowerCab, and will eventually get back to it.  For now, however, I'm getting my 'Analog' on and it's working pretty well.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, codamedia said:

Just my 2 cents.

Problem with helix and chip based tech is, it’s not a valve or a pickup or a duff switch, all things that can be rectified with spares or a soldering iron. When the world you make sounds from starts being a lollipop it’s a worry. I’ve had mine on soak all week though and it’s playing ball. So I’m still good with it and I love it dearly, I’m not ready to give up just yet! 

I do miss the analogue world though I can’t lie, used to have a Cornford RK 100 and revalved and biased more times than I can remember, same for the victory amp I used to have. Don’t miss lugging it around though! 

I actually (as soon as it came out) bought the victory V30 preamp pedal, I actually prefer the helix Friedman amp instead.

anyone wanna buy a V30?? :)