Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preset Lightrings - Advice/Recommendations needed

ryanrobertkane

Problem Statement

• When using HELIX LT in preset mode, I cannot see the other foot switches in the dark, as they have no lightring and there is no options for preset lightring to be bright/dull.
  • I have 'hacked' this problem by adding glow in the dark tape around each footswitch which frustrates me after spending so much on the unit itself.

Set-up

• I use 8 different PRESETS for my tones, not snapshots.
  • I do not use snapshots as my 8 different tones use 4 different amps, but snapshots only allow 2 different amps.

Possible Solution

• Allow presets to have dull/bright lightring settings?
  • OR
  • Allow snapshots to have more than 2 amps in a chain, which I can bypass as needed per snapshot
  • OR
  • Allow snapshots to use same amp, and globally change ALL amp parameters in snapshots, not just 1 e.g. Drive=10 on snapshot 1, and drive=3 on snapshot 2.

19 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Whoops! Sorry, my bad, just tried, this only works for "normal" switches but not for snapshots.

Uh? Surely not. You can customise the light rings on Snapshots - Pages 49 - 50

Helix LT 3.0 Owner’s Manual - Rev D - English 

Although the OP says that he doesn’t use snapshots because they cannot handle more than 2 amps - but, that’s probably more of a limitation of the DSP allocation than the snapshot function.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 10:03 AM, ryanrobertkane said:

Allow snapshots to use same amp, and globally change ALL amp parameters in snapshots, not just 1 e.g. Drive=10 on snapshot 1, and drive=3 on snapshot 2.

Hi,

You do realise that any preset can have 8 snapshots which are capable of switching 8 parameters simultaneously? 
That’s a total of 64 that can be assigned per preset.

From the Owner’s Manual.

”Depending on how you set them up, snapshots can act as eight variations of the same tone, eight drastically different tones, or any combination thereof—all within the same preset. A single preset’s snapshots may accommodate all the various tones required for a song in many cases.”

How much do you really need to change with a single click of a footswitch?

Hope this helps/makes sense.

14 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Uh? Surely not. You can customise the light rings on Snapshots - Pages 49 - 50

Oh yeah, my bad, that does in fact work - once you customize the color, the global dim option is working, too. A bit strange, though, as for plain switches the color cutomizing step isn't required, they're dimmed automatically once you switch that option on.

I also missed that the OP was talking about presets. Dimming doesn't seem to work at all with presets. But given my success rate in this thread so far, I might as well be wrong.

• Upvote 1

Regarding the original post:

In the manual it says:

Global Settings > Displays
Knob Parameter Description
1 LED Ring
Brightness
Determines whether the Stomp mode footswitches’ colored LED rings appear dim when bypassed or off when bypassed. When playing in bright
sunlight, you may want to set this to “Off/Bright” to increase contrast

In reality this works ONLY when you save the LED ring color that is NOT "Auto".  The easiest way to change the LED color is to right-click on the Snapshot, etc, in HX edit.  You will see LED ring options. 

Select an actual color, for example: green, red, pink, etc.. and save.  Then, when you toggle this setting to "dim", the rings will be dimly-lit when the snapshot, etc is not engaged.  So if you want to take advantage of this "dim" feature, you first need to change the ring colors of all the things you want to be "dimly" lit....   It's actually good, because it gives you extra flexibility to not have the outline of some buttons light up. 

On Helix LT, I could see this as a useful, whenever I need to see where the buttons are.  On Helix Floor, the scribble strips are more than enough to be able to see what I'm doing and where I'm pressing.  I played on a completely dark stage and had no issue switching my sounds. 

Or you can just go with the old school approach and get a music stand light!  If the stage is so dark, you won't trip over the cables...