Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Max expression controllers

bobdobbs

Sorry if this has been posted before but.....

What is the max amount of expression controllers you can use on a Helix floor unit? Im just a little confused. Currently I am using the the one on board for both volume and wah switching between each with the toe button. I have another controller already attached to expression pedal 3 input which controls various things like delay feedback. I would like to get another controller to further expand my possibilities, say to control a modulation speed. If i did would i loose the ability to independently control the wah and volume? In summary, I would like to have is essentially 4 controllers the 2 that are on the board and 2 external ones.

Possible? 

There are three expression controllers - EXP1, 2 and 3. If you plug a pedal into the EXP2 jack, the onboard pedal just functions as EXP1. It doesn’t toggle between EXP1 and 2 any longer.

If you have a MIDI controller with expression pedal inputs, you can add as many expression pedals as you want, really. As you can assign MIDI CCs to control parameters, and you could have those pedals set up to control those CCs.

As has been said, total number of expression pedals/switches is 3. And yeah, it's not all that luxurious. The GT-1000 has twice as much options.
And while external MIDI controllers might be an option, in many situations they're not even remotely as useful as their settings have to be sent again per each patch whereas the status of an expression pedal will be read out automatically/globally.

3 hours ago, bobdobbs said:

Currently I am using the the one on board for both volume and wah switching between each with the toe button.

This can still work.... even when you use an external expression for EXP2 and EXP3 to control other things.  

• Assign both the VOLUME and WAH to EXP1
  • Have the TOE switch toggle the on/off states of the volume and wah block.

I own an LT which only has 1 external EXP.... and that is exactly how I do it to free up EXP2 for many other uses. It works 100%

4 minutes ago, codamedia said:

This can still work.... even when you use an external expression for EXP2 and EXP3 to control other things.  

I own an LT which only has 1 external EXP.... and that is exactly how I do it to free up EXP2 for many other uses. It works 100%

@codamedia: I’ve tried that before but got hung up on levels. For instance, if the Vol is active and the pedal position is at some mid-point value less than 100% you have to increase the Vol level to 100% in order to engage the toe switch to activate the Wah. The same is true when going from Wah back to Vol. How do you handle this, or do you not find it problematic?

17 minutes ago, silverhead said:

For instance, if the Vol is active and the pedal position is at some mid-point value less than 100% you have to increase the Vol level to 100% in order to engage the toe switch to activate the Wah.

When you only use the built in expression on the Helix... that is still exactly how it works even though the toe is changing between EXP1 and EXP2. The volume has to go up to engage the wah, and the wah has to go up to go back to volume. (The OP has stated that THIS is how he is currently using the built in expression) 

The only difference is that when you do them both from EXP1... the toe is toggling the on/off states rather than switching EXP modes - but it's the same results! You cannot engage the TOE Switch without pushing the pedal "toe down". 

NOTE: I guess if you have the volume set to never go past 80% that would be an issue (it would jump to 100 when disengaged to go to wah)... but IMO that's not how I would ever use a volume pedal so it wouldn't concern me. 

14 hours ago, codamedia said:

When you only use the built in expression on the Helix... that is still exactly how it works even though the toe is changing between EXP1 and EXP2. The volume has to go up to engage the wah, and the wah has to go up to go back to volume. (The OP has stated that THIS is how he is currently using the built in expression) 

The only difference is that when you do them both from EXP1... the toe is toggling the on/off states rather than switching EXP modes - but it's the same results! You cannot engage the TOE Switch without pushing the pedal "toe down". 

NOTE: I guess if you have the volume set to never go past 80% that would be an issue (it would jump to 100 when disengaged to go to wah)... but IMO that's not how I would ever use a volume pedal so it wouldn't concern me. 

If you wanted the kind of behavior mentioned, couldn't you assign both wah and volume to EXP1 and also to a different footswitch? Then you could use the footswitch to engage the wah without a volume jump. You'd just have to stick the wah in the spot you'd want the volume before hitting the footswitch to turn off the wah.

2 minutes ago, mvk20 said:

f you wanted the kind of behavior mentioned, couldn't you assign both wah and volume to EXP1 and also to a different footswitch? 

Yeah... absolutely. For me that kind of defeats the purpose of a toe switch.... but whatever works for someone is never a wrong option.  

1 hour ago, bobdobbs said:

well thanks all thats a bummer. you would think it should be 4... 1&2  Being the internal pedal and 3&4 would be the externals. Ugh maybe its something they can update......

19 hours ago, bobdobbs said:

Currently I am using the the one on board for both volume and wah switching between each with the toe button.

Maybe you misunderstood my suggestion above.... it gives the exact same results you are getting now from the internal pedal, but it will free up EXP 2 for independent external use. Maybe you want to do more complex things... in which case it may or may not work. But for controlling Volume/Wah... it works perfectly. 

17 hours ago, codamedia said:

Hold on now that is a horse of a different colour. I think you are on to something. Im going to try that tonight 

thanks!

• Like 1