Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Joining an STP Tribute band....

themetallikid

I've read a little on the guitar players gear (I'm not a huge STP fan, however am familiar with the radio stuff), but he has a signature sorta chorus'd sound.  I've played a bit with micro shifting and it sounds ok, but wondering if the gear genius' here have any suggestions on amps/effects to employ for some of his stuff?

I'll keep plugging away, but looking for suggestions. 

16e3f8b37168a1242b1719217c9ff466.jpg

He's got a weird rig, like a wet/dry thing. He uses a Chorus Ensemble as a splitter. One side goes to an overdrive then an AC-30, the other to his Demeter preamp then to a digital reverb that again splits the signal to a stereo rack power amp, and off to Marshall 4x12s on either side of the Vox. According to the article, the Vox is always on, because he likes how it adds clarity to his rack rig. That might be a good place to start as far as nailing the basic tone, although I don't know what you substitute for the Demeter. The "70s Chorus" Helix model is a model of the Chorus Ensemble, so another good place to start. I don't know if you're running a stereo rig, or if you need to, but you might want to try doing what he's doing, use a stereo chorus and send one side to an AC-30 model and the other side to something more conventional, like an 800 or something. It seems to me that the Demeter is that kind of amp. Marshally. Could be wrong on that. Maybe someone will chime in. 

I found a L6 video where they create the Plush sound.  I didnt like it, but it was close in theory to what I came up with before that point.  I used his template for the preset and applied my amps/cabs to it.  I mainly switched the Essex 30 (sounded too brittle and not 'chimey' (is that the cab/speaker?)) for a Madarin Rocker with a similar setup.  Matched with the Placatar Dirty.   This is the heaviest 'version' for the crunch versions I just reduce gain/chorus to match.   

So far I'm only 4 songs into the bands song list:  Dead and Bloated, Sex Type Thing, Wicked Garden and Sin, but it seems to cover that stuff well so far.  I'm sure I'll keep the template and just substitute amps/effects as needed.  

Heavy Chorus.hlx

Interesting project..

Quite surprised anyone is doing a dedicated STP tribute band, they were one of the better grunge bands, but not the type of high profile band you expect to see done as a tribute.

I'm impressed you're researching and learning to play the songs of a band that you're not really a fan of - that takes a bit of dedication I reckon!

Be interesting to see how it goes

I should state that I do like the radio songs I've heard and as I've delved into some of the songlist, I remember some songs, but mostly cause friends were more into them than I was....especially at the time they were around.  

I can appreciate how good they were back then....definitely better than a lot of the 'alternative noise' that turned me off coming from a lot of groups.  Digging into his rig, writing style, riffs and stuff...I'm coming across a new appreciate for what they were.  Also the damn jazz chords are a new challenge both sonically to get to sound right and just fingering the damn things, lol.     

• Haha 1