Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Native not opening in Logic Pro

dbraman

Running Monterey on MacbooKPro M1 Pro . Logic won't open Native because it says it can't be "validated" And when I trick it into opening it in Rosetta it causes all kinds of problems recording and then it eventually stops using Native anyway. Anyone have any ideas?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dbraman said:

Running Monterey on MacbooKPro M1 Pro . Logic won't open Native because it says it can't be "validated" And when I trick it into opening it in Rosetta it causes all kinds of problems recording and then it eventually stops using Native anyway. Anyone have any ideas?

Hi,

Many users are able to have Helix Native running with Rosetta 2 although, please note there is an orange coloured headline banner, third from the top of this page containing Line 6 info regarding Apple M1 computers etc.

If you have read through and tried any possible solution offered in the posts on here without success, then the best recourse is to contact Customer Support and raise a ticket.

This is a user group and is not visited by Line 6 staff, you need to make them aware of the problem.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

3 hours ago, kenrash said:

It’s not working on my M1 Mac mini/ Big Sur either. Crashes Logic.  On a whim I downloaded reaper, it crashes reaper as well.  I’ve tried all the steps recommended by line 6 support.

Mmm….

Well that’s odd - did you read this thread?

16 hours ago, datacommando said:

Mmm….

Well that’s odd - did you read this thread?

Odd, but not unusual.  Many people are having problems with it.

There is nothing in that thread that I haven't tried.  I had L6 support on the phone with me and we couldn't get it to work.

• 3 weeks later...

This is, unfortunately, beyond just the "hey don't upgrade macOS yet" warnings. Those of us who have purchased new Macs have *no choice* but to run Monterey. That is what ships with the machines and the Gods of Cupertino, in their infinite wisdom, took away the ability to boot into an OS version older than the one a Mac shaped with some years ago. I have been using the Rosetta workaround mostly successfully up until today. Now, I can't even *open* and project with any instance of Helix Native. Immediatley upon opening, I get an error message that a plug in may cause the system to be unstable and the only option is to Quit Logic.

Line 6 may CLAIM to not monitor these boards but that's BS. Having worked that kind of gig for Apple for 8 years, I can promise you that someone see's new posts and there is some level of moderation happening. 

At this point in time...

Waves stuff works

Slate stuff works

Antares stuff works

Audio Modeling stuff works

Isotope stuff works

At this point Line 6/Yamaha is the outlier and they need to get it together. 

1 hour ago, revbill111 said:

Line 6 may CLAIM to not monitor these boards but that's BS.

From the first black banner header at the top of this page:

Quote: “Line 6 has appointed the Line 6 Experts to moderate the forums, but occasionally, Line 6 staff will post to certain threads. As these are community support forums, please remember that your post is not a direct message to Line 6. If you need to contact our technical staff, please do so at www.Line6.com/support. 

If you are having a problem with the Helix Native plug-in, then the only way to attract the attention of Line 6 staff is to raise a ticket with Customer Support. Anything else is futile.

I realise if you have to buy a new machine you are stuck with the OS it ships with, but Apple seem to have annoyed the entire music industry with this last couple of moves. After a quite a few years of refusing to update from a perfectly functioning OS, a couple of day back I took the plunge to move to Catalina. It was somewhat forced on me as I had recently bought a piece of software that does not function on anything less than Mojave. After leaving the machine running overnight to do it’s stuff, imagine my delight to discover that when I went to load Logic Pro X, it decided to trawl through my previously fully working AU plug-ins and trash approximately 50% of them. Why? Security? Yeah, right. It’s  possible to over ride this with a little routine in Terminal, but why did the “Gods of Cupertino” make this decision and not give me the option. Apple are becoming a real PITA. I’m now having to spend my time re-aligning my music system because the Apple OS didn’t like something that I did. Luckily, it didn’t throw out Native, and no matter how much it nags me to update to BS - I will give it a swerve.

Thanks datacommando. First, to be clear, I’ve been a Line 6 user and fan for a long time and have always been impressed with their support. But this issue is stuck in my craw for reasons i can’t fully explain. 

Good news is that i got everything working again. Had to follow the whole process laid out for this way back when and manually delete everything, redownload, reinstall, restore from backup and then hand place my IRs into the correct slots. Big PITA, but it works again. 

I have my issues with every OS after Mojave and how it deals with what used to be the iTUnes library. (I can’t begin to count the number of people who I dealt with from Catalina forward as the new Music app literally destroyed iTUnes libraries and deleted all of the song data. Apple’s official response is to direct people to restore the library from backup. Which, of course, almost no one actually has. I would call them immoral, hubris-filled scumbags, but that is an insult to scumbags.) I have a huge library that i have spent years putting together and do not want to chance that kind of destruction. So the new Mac is only for audio and video work and I kept an old (2012) Mac mini that still runs Mojave so it can be the “root” machine that manages the music library. 

Thanks for your help and have a super groovy rest of your day. Cheers.

8 hours ago, revbill111 said:

Thanks for your help and have a super groovy rest of your day. Cheers.

Thank you.

I’m glad to know that you managed to fix the issue with Native, and I appreciate that it’s not something that you should have to do. I have been using Apple Mac since the days of the Mac Plus running System 4 from a single sided floppy disk, (an external hard disk was added later with the incredible storage of 20MB). It used to be easy, when you loaded something in - it just worked. The past few years have been chaos, adding a new application could lead to the entire house of cards falling over.

Have super cool and festive Yuletide.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/19/2021 at 6:40 AM, revbill111 said:

Good news is that i got everything working again. Had to follow the whole process laid out for this way back when and manually delete everything, redownload, reinstall, restore from backup and then hand place my IRs into the correct slots. Big PITA, but it works again. 

Hi, my Macbook Pro (M1 Pro+Monterey) came in November and I migrated all my data from my old Macbook Pro (M1+Big Sur) with success. Since then, everything works fine except Helix Native.. I'm aware that Big Sur was OS11 and Monterey is OS12. This means major update, so we may of course have some incompatibilities, but it's been a pretty long time now and it's getting annoying. I messaged Line6 Support but the reply was something like "you can't authorize more than 4 computers with Native.. (not my case)" and "Monterey is not yet supported officially" and this link: https://line6.com/support/announcement/104-apple-m1-macos-11-and-12-compatibility-with-line-6-software/

So I decided I'd wait, but then there's your post saying you deleted and reinstalled everything. I also tried to do it: First I deauthorized and reauthorized my computer (just in case) and then manually found and deleted the plug-in from its locations as explained in the Native Manual. Then I reinstalled Native.. but no change..

The strange thing is, although I deleted everything, my presets were still there after reinstall. So I think maybe the presets are causing the problem but I can't find and erase them manually. Have to ask:

1. Did you find and erase them?

2. Did you uninstall and reinstall Logic too?

Can you specify the details of what you did exactly, I must be missing something..

Thanks

Hi Ozanerkal

The thread that datacommando cited earlier on from vader1 has an outline of everything that needs to be deleted. In working with L6 support directly, I got some additional clarification. 1) THere are a couple of files that post says you do not need to get rid of. Get rid of them. Unfortunately, this is going to mean losing all of your presets. I came to Helix via an Helix Floor unit which i used for gigging for a few years and only adopted Native later, so i have my presets in that hardware unit and was able to back it up and then restore my presets later. You may or may not have that option. 2) This is crucial. Logic has to run under Rosetta or all of this will be for naught.  If you right-click or (for us hopelessly Mac heads) Control-Click on the Logic app, you’ll get an info window. In that window there is an option to run Logic under Rosetta. 3) Don’t try to reinstall Native from an existing installer. Redownload from the L6 site. 4) Once you have installed (this advice came direct for L6 support), disconnect Wi-Fi and any Ethernet connection before launching Logic. Once launched, open a *new* empty project, add a track and try to place an instance of Native on a track. This will force the system to reauthorize. When you get the authorization dialogue, reconnect and reauthorize.

I actually had to do this a few times before it “took” and, unfortunately, I can’t tell you why the last try was successful. Once it’s working, if you have a backup bundle, you can restore it. One thing that was not clear—at least to me—is that restoring does *not* put any IRs you may be using back in their proper slots. You will have to reinstall those manually. The good news for me is that it has been running without issue for almost a month now.

Best of luck with it. And, I’ll reiterate. As much as i know that Apple has made life hell for audio companies for probably a decade now, Monterey was announced *seven* months ago, it was available in beta to developers almost that long ago and it has been the official current release of macOS for just shy of three months. Apple has released multiple hardware models aimed directly at creatives and content makers that will not run on anything older than Monterey. I have tons of plug ins from Waves and Antares and Slate and Plug-in Alliance and they all work. (OK, VSX from Slate is working only in a beta version. But still…) Line 6 has been, for a number of years now, owned by Yamaha and there are few companies in the music space with more resources than Yamaha. (As an old school music magazine editor for a couple of decades, I know this from experience.) Hey @Line6Tony it looks like the last official update about this sad situation was posted back in August. Maybe it’s time for a new update? Just a thought…

• Upvote 1

On 1/18/2022 at 11:13 PM, revbill111 said:

Hi Ozanerkal

The thread that datacommando cited earlier on from vader1 has an outline of everything that needs to be deleted. In working with L6 support directly, I got some additional clarification.....

SOLVED... & it was so easy.. ONLY ONE STEP (OK, two.. no uninstalling or reinstalling or re-downloading needed)

Thanks to you all, so I had to post it here:

System: Macbook Pro w/M1 Pro + Monterey.

Problem was: New computer came with Monterey, migrated everything from old Macbook w/M1 + Big Sur, all but Native worked.

Solution:

1. (Not sure if this step is necessary but probably it helped) Run Logic, go to Plugin Manager and if Helix Native isn't validated, quit, run again in Rosetta, go to Plugin Manager, select Native and "rescan selection" and see it get enabled.. then quit Logic.

2. In Finder top menu bar, click Go, press the Option/Alt Key to reveal "Library". Under Library > Application Support > Line 6 find "Helix Native" folder and rename or delete it (rename is better just in case) That's it. NOTE THAT YOU'LL LOSE ALL PRESETS AND IR'S AND SETTINGS.. I had them on my Helix Floor..

Now run Logic WITHOUT Rosetta, check if Native's still "enabled".. and then in a new track, insert Native and VOILA!

Just like I guessed, an existing setting or preset must have caused the problem and it was located in that folder that I renamed. Once it was renamed or deleted, Native recreates that folder this time without the problem.

I didn't have to delete Native at all, I just luckily found where the problem was and it's gone.. Finally I can use Native after 2 months.. All the posts here helped, so thank you, hope this works for others :)

• Thanks 1

ADDITION:

OK, so I posted my last post in the other thread about this issue and someone commented that it didn't work for him.

He says, however, that he additionally deleted all traces of Native as told in the Native Manual and that did the trick.

That makes me think that having previously taken the same steps as he did, probably paved my path and that my "simple solution" in the above post wouldn't have worked without those steps.

So I had to add this info here.. Clean Native first and then follow my post right above..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2021 at 9:36 AM, revbill111 said:

This is, unfortunately, beyond just the "hey don't upgrade macOS yet" warnings. Those of us who have purchased new Macs have *no choice* but to run Monterey. That is what ships with the machines and the Gods of Cupertino, in their infinite wisdom, took away the ability to boot into an OS version older than the one a Mac shaped with some years ago. I have been using the Rosetta workaround mostly successfully up until today. Now, I can't even *open* and project with any instance of Helix Native. Immediatley upon opening, I get an error message that a plug in may cause the system to be unstable and the only option is to Quit Logic.

Line 6 may CLAIM to not monitor these boards but that's BS. Having worked that kind of gig for Apple for 8 years, I can promise you that someone see's new posts and there is some level of moderation happening. 

At this point in time...

Waves stuff works

Slate stuff works

Antares stuff works

Audio Modeling stuff works

Isotope stuff works

At this point Line 6/Yamaha is the outlier and they need to get it together. 

I couldn't agree more having exactly the same BS issues with all my installed DAWS including Logic Pro [as well as Garageband & Hosting AU] on M1 Pro MacBook Pro on Monterey 12.2 not opening projects with instances of Helix Native,     [even after a full clean install of Helix ative]

have just raised a support ticket: can't wait to hear what BS excuses line 6 will have for this: hopefully they have a working SOLUTION>

when is that Apple Silicon Native version of Helix Native actually EVER going to materialise?