Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cannot reset Spider IV 120

bglendi

This amp is driving me nuts. I haven't played in 6-8 years and I'm trying to get back into it. The volumes on this amp are all over the board, some you can barely hear, and others blow your brains out. That includes presets. I'm trying to just do a factory reset and see if all the volumes will go back to some kind of normal level. I hold the "A" button then power on, then push the "presets" button just like the manual says. NOTHING CHANGES. This amp is unplayable when the volumes are so screaming high on some and virtually dead on others.

The A, B, C, & D buttons also do not reset and have the same volume issues.

What is wrong?

That seems to be another problem, I can't save to any of the four presets. I don't use a lot of the factory installed presets, but when I find one I like, it just won't save. 

Another problem I was having that may help someone else, I usually always use this amp through the headphones jack, and that too is very inconsistent. What I found is that I have to use a 1/4" TRS cable from the headphones jack, and split it into two channels on my mixers with the cable shown attached. The other end of the cable is a TS connection, and if you do this you will get a nice stereo sound for the presets that are actual stereo. Just make sure you pan the two channels hard left and right in the mixer.71fDj8kaXtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yes, if you want the true FX and stereo sound you need to use the splitter from the headphone output jack.

Do you have a FBV MkII pedal to connect the amp to a computer to see if you can update the software? It sounds like the amp has issues that will not be easily resolved without a technician looking at it.

"Why would you need the pedal"?  Because that is the only way to update the firmware.  If you connect the RJ connection direct to a computer, you will fry some of the amp's circuitry or software.  Updating the software has often been a solution.

I am sure there you youtubes showing how to do it, if you don't want to read the manuals.

Hook up amp to pedal, pedal to computer via USB, log into line6.com, register your gear, if not already done

First install Line 6 Monkey, the software upgrader, then use it to check and update your FBV and amp software.

Oh - if you get a used FBV MkII, make sure it works, or that you can return it if you find it doesn't - some of these older pedals got fried by a software update (many years ago) and not everyone bothered to get a replacement.  If Monkey won't connect to it, then its fried!

On 11/20/2021 at 4:17 PM, bglendi said:

This amp is driving me nuts. I haven't played in 6-8 years and I'm trying to get back into it. The volumes on this amp are all over the board, some you can barely hear, and others blow your brains out. That includes presets. I'm trying to just do a factory reset and see if all the volumes will go back to some kind of normal level. I hold the "A" button then power on, then push the "presets" button just like the manual says. NOTHING CHANGES. This amp is unplayable when the volumes are so screaming high on some and virtually dead on others.

What is wrong?

make sure you unplug your USB first .  If you are connected to your PC and are using the Line 6 Spider iv Edit,  it wont do a factory reset.  

Unplug USB then Try Factory reset .   i held the (A) Down while powering up. about 5 seconds  , then was able to press the presets Dial in . and again to confirm. for factory reset .

Hey anybody Know where to get tones for the Spider IV 75 amp  and or Pod xt Live. 

One reason that it won't go into factory reset  is that you are connected to your pc .  It happened to Me.

Make sure you unplug your USB first .  If you are connected to your PC and are using the Line 6 Spider iv Edit,  it wont do a factory reset.  

Unplug USB then Try Factory reset .   I held the (A) Down while powering up. about 5 seconds  , then was able to press the presets Dial in . and again to confirm. for factory reset .

Here's a tip:    Before you do a factory reset Turn all your dials down to  0  , I was told you will have less trouble  with the volume levels 

Hey anybody Know where to get tones for the Spider IV 75 amp  and or Pod xt Live. 

My amp is not connected to any PC, never has been, so that's not an issue. I did the 5 second hold on the "A" button, but it goes right into the "reset" message, So I don't know if that helped.

The more I use the process of illimination, it appears that I can set my first preset on any of the four letters, but then when I try to set a second one, it wipes out the first one. So basically it's only holding one preset at a time.

• 2 years later...
On 11/20/2021 at 11:17 PM, bglendi said:

What is wrong?

use spider v remote and adjust all the tones volume etc etc  and then save  every time you edit a tone