Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How do I integrate the Strymon Iridium with the Pod Go?

Digiplay

I keep searching for the answer to my Topic question, but none of the answers apply to what I'm trying to accomplish, and please don't say I shouldn't have purchased the Pod Go, as it's laid out in a way that to my mind looks like/acts like a fantastic digital pedalboard :)

My rig is a Pedalboard (without my original pedals, which I have replaced with the Pod Go) that now has the Iridium last in the chain, and from there I go directly into my Apollo Interface, so obviously I'm using the Pod Go for recording, not gigging (yet :) ).

So what I'd like to do is simply (uh oh :) ) bypass the amp and cabinet on the Pod Go, and I want to use the Iridium's (3) amps and cabinets instead.

I don't know whether to:

1) Go out the Mono Main Out and disable the amp and cabinet on each preset.

2) Go out the Amp Out and disable the amp and cabinet on each preset.

3) Start with a blank/new Preset.

As I'm just wetting my feet on the Pod Go, for right now I would prefer to take the Factory Presets, not use their amp and cabinet, and use the Iridium instead.

Thanks in advance!

Jerry

I’m not familiar with the Iridium but from what you say I assume it is another type of ampFX modeler. Also, I don’t know what Apollo interface you’re using but it seems you’re not using the Pod Go as your audio interface for recording. Based on those assumptions I have two suggestions:

1) Try using your Pod Go as your audio interface and take both the Iriidium and the Apollo out of your setup. No harm in at least trying this.

2) You can go out either the Main Out or Amp Out from the Pod Go to your Iridium. You may have to configure your Iridium to accept the corresponding Line or Instrument input level.You’re right about not using the Pod Go amp/cab in any preset, again assuming your Iridium does that. Doesn’t matter whether or not you use a modified Factory preset or start anew.

Note that by connecting the Pod Go output to your Iridium input you are limiting the POD Go FX to being in a pre-amp position in the signal chain. Not an optimal use of the Pod Go modeler. Does your Iridium provide FX like Reverb or time-based FX like Modulation or Delay? If not, and you have to use your Pod Go for these FX, you may notice a difference in how they sound before the amp.

Hi @Digiplay  The Strymon Iridium is just another modeller with amp and cab models.  When integrating gear there are often no absolute rights or wrongs hence it's always best to experiment to see what works/sounds best for you.  

One way to integrate the SI to achieve what you want is by inserting it in the Pod Go fx loop, disabling the Pod Go amp/cab models and using the SI as the amp/cab model. Or do the same but turn off the IR's in the SI and use the Pod Go's stock or imported IR's.   But you could also experiment with leaving the Pod Go's amp and/or cabs on and use the SI to add another amp and/or IR for a two amps and/or two cabs at once set-up - something that Helix can do but PG can't on it's own.  

Re whether to start with an existing pre-set or start from scratch is entirely dependent on what you want to do - the former would let you use existing FX set ups that you like, or let you mix amp/cabs as above.  Or you could custom design some patches around the the SI.   You could try both Mono main out and amp out to see which you prefer. The latest v1.30 firmware lets you set the main PG volume for one or both. 

Alternatively you could go guitar>SI>PG (or guitar>PG>SI) and use PG just for fx or again trying it with amp/cabs on.  As I said, there are no absolute rights or wrongs, just experiment & see what you think sounds best for you.

As per Strymon:

"Strymon’s Iridium is an amp and cab modeler with added room reverb, designed to deliver the sound of an amp through a cab in a room.

While it can be an integral part of your pedalboard, its role is to be connected directly to a PA for live use or to recording equipment. It also has a headphone output so you can use it for silent practice.

What it provides is three modeled amps with drive and three-band EQ controls, each amp having a choice of three Impulse Response cabinets to be paired with, followed by (optional) room reverb. If you want different cabs, you can replace those onboard with your own using Strymon’s Impulse Manager software."

The main reason I purchased the Pod Go was to replace the following pedals I had on my pedalboard, all before the Iridium:

Tuner>Compressor>OD>Chorus>Rotary>Tremolo>Phaser>Delay>Reverb

As far as using the Pod Go as an interface, the Apollo has xlr inputs, as well as many world class plugins, and if I use the Pod Go, all my recordings will lose those fx.