Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G10 Battery Replacement

cchimi

I just got this, and the battery fits the G10 perfectly.  And has the same specs as the ICR17280, except it's only 400maH instead of 600maH.  

Amazon.com: EBL CR2 Rechargeable Batteries, 3.7V Lithium Photo Batteries 8 Pack with Rechargeable Battery Charger(Not Arlo Batteries) : Health & Household

Soldered it in place today and was happy to find that it charges and syncs with my Spider V60 amp.  It also allowed me to update the G10 transmitter and receiver to their respective latest firmware updates.

Given that this wireless setup has been utterly useless to me for several years, I'm pretty happy about this.

I hope this helps someone else with a dead battery in a G10.  Be very careful taking it apart and especially while soldering the battery.  Get help if you need it.

Carl

• Upvote 1

By Line6Tony 
08/27/2020

As a reminder, do not perform service operations beyond those described in the Relay G10, G10S, or G10T manuals. The Lithium-Ion battery is not user-serviceable and any attempt to open or modify these products will void your warranty. Pursuant to the safety of our customers, we will remove any forum posts that offer advice for modifying Relay G10, G10S, or G10T products.

Please be safe and help us keep our community safe!

Stay safe and healthy,

Line 6 Customer Service and Support 

My G10 had just passed its warranty when the battery went dead.  In fact, I had two other G10s that also died just after the warranty period.  As I said, this one sat dead for about three years before I found a battery that works.  I did the battery replacement safely, and can now use the transmitter again.

Having a battery that is not "user-serviceable" and that, in fact, can't even be purchased in the US, left me with the option of tossing the G10 (which I did with the other two), or finding a way to save some of my investment in the third one.  I did the replacement safely, and it works.  And you'll notice my last sentence in the original post, where I urge caution and being safe if the replacement is attempted.

I appreciate your comments, but there are lots of us out there with dead, expensive units that CAN be salvaged.  Had there been a way to get the battery or unit replaced through Line6 (I tried), I would have availed myself of it.

Regards,

Carl

Owner of many Line6 products since about 1996, or whenever that first Pod came out

29 minutes ago, cchimi said:

My G10 had just passed its warranty when the battery went dead.  In fact, I had two other G10s that also died just after the warranty period.  As I said, this one sat dead for about three years before I found a battery that works.  I did the battery replacement safely, and can now use the transmitter again.

Having a battery that is not "user-serviceable" and that, in fact, can't even be purchased in the US, left me with the option of tossing the G10 (which I did with the other two), or finding a way to save some of my investment in the third one.  I did the replacement safely, and it works.  And you'll notice my last sentence in the original post, where I urge caution and being safe if the replacement is attempted.

I appreciate your comments, but there are lots of us out there with dead, expensive units that CAN be salvaged.  Had there been a way to get the battery or unit replaced through Line6 (I tried), I would have availed myself of it.

Regards,

Carl

Owner of many Line6 products since about 1996, or whenever that first Pod came out

Is not my comment. It's a pinned request from L6. :)

On 12/6/2021 at 11:43 PM, cchimi said:

I'm sorry to hear that.  I don't know how to help. Have you tried just searching for a rechargeable lithium ion CR2 battery with 3.7 volts (not 3.0 volts as a lot of the CR2 batteries are)?

Carl

Yes i did.

No Result.

Can Line6 sell this ICR17280 ? Why not ? 

It is a stupid problem.

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2021 at 6:54 PM, cchimi said:

I just got this, and the battery fits the G10 perfectly.  And has the same specs as the ICR17280, except it's only 400maH instead of 600maH.  

Amazon.com: EBL CR2 Rechargeable Batteries, 3.7V Lithium Photo Batteries 8 Pack with Rechargeable Battery Charger(Not Arlo Batteries) : Health & Household

Soldered it in place today and was happy to find that it charges and syncs with my Spider V60 amp.  It also allowed me to update the G10 transmitter and receiver to their respective latest firmware updates.

Given that this wireless setup has been utterly useless to me for several years, I'm pretty happy about this.

I hope this helps someone else with a dead battery in a G10.  Be very careful taking it apart and especially while soldering the battery.  Get help if you need it.

Carl

So, changing the batteries made a big change on your G10T battery life? How much playing time do you have now?

I found those... maybe they'll work for me... 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/175114059068

• 1 month later...

Hello guys !!! I have G10S and i charge it like 3 hours and turn it on, after 20 minutes he starts to turn off ... As if I didn't even charge it ... At the beginning there are three lines, then soon two, then one and after 15 minutes it turns off ... I tried it update but nothing happened ... I bought it from a friend. I can give it back to him, but I would like to know what I need to do to fix him... Can the GT10S be replaced with new batteries ... Please help!

On 3/23/2022 at 5:01 PM, charge82 said:

Hello guys !!! I have G10S and i charge it like 3 hours and turn it on, after 20 minutes he starts to turn off ... As if I didn't even charge it ... At the beginning there are three lines, then soon two, then one and after 15 minutes it turns off ... I tried it update but nothing happened ... I bought it from a friend. I can give it back to him, but I would like to know what I need to do to fix him... Can the GT10S be replaced with new batteries ... Please help!

There's no fix. The old transmitters' battery life was intentionally neutered by a firmware update for liability reasons... if you really want a deep dive into why, there are a thousand other threads on here that go through it all in gory detail.

If you want it to work as advertised, you need the new G10TII transmitter. Reports from the wild seem to indicate that these will get you pretty close to the advertised battery life, much like the original transmitters prior to the ridiculous firmware update saga. The base unit will still work just fine with the new transmitters.

You can try opening a service ticket and see if they'll replace the transmitter, but since you're not the original owner I'm guessing you don't have a sales receipt... what they'll tell you is anybody's guess. You might be stuck paying for it... only one way to find out.

Yep, just forget of the legacy G10T first version. Has been neutralized by the firmware and there is nothing you can do.

I do have the G10TII and still works pretty good tho. Average 6hrs with a full charge.

Just DO NOT BUY a G10S receiver, as it sucks with WIFI. Really, it's garbage. I don't know how's possible the basic and cheaper version, without the Channel knob (so I guess fully automatic), never gave me a single problem with connection stability, while the G10S is glitchy in any channel. Ok I do have a busy wifi situation, but still the basic receiver works perfectly.

• 1 month later...

I Have to say that although my G10s transmitter suffered the same battery fail after the update i contacted Line6 who replaced my transmitter free of charge to the new G10T2 Free of charge, even had the old one collected free by UPS, gotta say excellent service

• 2 weeks later...

I have a DEAD G10 transmitter- I haven't used the system since about March 2019. It only had a very few hours on it, but I loved it. The transmitter is DOA. I don't feel comfortable replacing the battery myself, so I have a fairly expensive paperweight. I think the idea of a battery that's not easy to replace is absurd. I guess I'll be sticking with my mogami/neutrik cableswhilr i look for a good alternative.

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2022 at 5:42 PM, PeakBagger4k said:

So, changing the batteries made a big change on your G10T battery life? How much playing time do you have now?

I found those... maybe they'll work for me... 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/175114059068

Hi guys, thanks for all the answers, i´m having the same problem, my G10s is new, it just ended the waranty and failed.... now i´m looking for the batery.... Both on amazon and ebay is over.... ended....gsus, Line6 should sell those bateries for no warranty costumers.... 

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

FWIW my G10 battery is dying, but I found that my G30 belt pack transmitter will work with the G10 base receiver when the belt pack is set to channel 1, which is great because it uses AA batteries. I don't want to spend over $100 on a new G10 transmitter just to have it eventually die as well, so might as well use the G30 belt pack.