Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD Go into Front of Amp (FX only)

RickDeck3030

I know this has been asked many times, but I can't quite find what I'm looking for. Most threads on this subject seem to go off on a tangent about not using PoDGo amp/cab into an amp. Just to be clear I'm not trying to do that. I want to purely use it as FX into my Fender clean channel.

As a background, I use POD Go as a practice environment with headphones (I have my presets for that). I also like playing through my Fender amp - I have this set just how I like it, I like the sound, and am not trying to use PG amp/cab to make it sound different. What I've done is create an FX only preset specifically to replicate pedals to then go into the front of the amp (with no colouring). I'm going into the front of the amp for now - when it's working nicely, I will then use the FX loop for chorus, delay etc.

Preset is Heir Apparent > 70's Chorus > Adriatic Delay > EQ > Amp Out (note amp and cabs are bypassed).

The issue I have is that as soon as I add the PG into the signal chain, the amp sound becomes flat and seems to lose some push. I have it set to just breakup when I dig in, this works fine without the PG, but when the PG is added it doesn't breakup as easily. This is just plain PG, with all blocks bypassed. It feels like it is dropping volume when added.

I've tried various global settings nothing changes this unless I select Line level (which I know is wrong).

I thought the correct setting was Amp Out set to Instrument - this should be unity gain for the PG. I have the PG vol control set to Main Out - so the volume knob will have no affect on the Amp out signal. I also believe that the global hi/low pass and Eq don't affect amp out - is this correct?

I want to get the basic sound right before getting the individual FX working correctly (but I already have those settings in PG anyway).

Any advice on this?

Pod Go isn't true bypass and this can impact on tone through some amps. I recommend putting a buffered pedal in the signal chain. Any Boss pedal will do and you don't need it switched on...it will buffer even turned off. That should bring back some  tonal clarity to help with your basic straight through bypass tone. Re volume, if that is still dropped, raise the output level of Pod Go a little eg by 1-3 db. I believe that can be done globally as well as per patch. 

You should also experiment with the global EQ to help you get a better bypass tone with your Fender amp. If your amp has an fx loop, try putting PG through the FX return or trying 4 cable method. 

Thanks @voxman55

I just found your replies in other threads (I'd not searched for 'tonesuck' before) - but thanks for repeating it.

I thought it was just me or I was imagining it. I knew it wasn't true bypass, I know that it's having to be converted several times A to D and D to A at least once, which has to affect the tone slightly. Just couldn't find much mention of it.

I'll try a buffered pedal - I don't have one, but was looking for a couple things anyway. I wanted to use the PG so that I didn't need to use discrete pedals as it seems a waste as I have my pick of delays, chorus etc in PG. Also need a tuner - which is even more of a waste as the PG one is absolutely fine.

I thought this may be a global settings problem - unfortunately I don't believe there is a global volume control, but I can fix that on the preset - that's no issue.

Thanks for the help.

No probs - thought I'd just mention that I use a Line 6 G10 Relay with my Pod Go - & that acts as a buffer too. 

And yes, you're right - I checked the manual & there doesn't appear to be a way to uplift PG's volume 'per se' globally (other than via the main knob).  So it's a per patch adjustment but you can copy the main out block to any patch to save you repeating manual settings. 

You could also use an EQ pedal in PG to raise volume and add back some high end - for your purposes I'd suggest placing the EQ right at the end of your signal chain.  Again. once you've found an EQ type & setting that works for you, you can again copy the EQ block to any patch.  You can also save the EQ settings as your user preferred settings, and when building patches from scratch, you can create a 'new patch' template that incorporates all the above as a default so you don't have to repeat adding/changing anything.