Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD GO sound problem with frfr speaker and cab sim on

kszak

Today I've tried to set up my pod go with a headrush frfr 108. I've created a preset that sounded great on my headphones. However, when I plugged the speaker, the tone became really muddy and overall bad. The problem seems to go away when I turn off the cab sim, but then it all sounds too harsh, and I don't really intend to play without the cab sim on. I can't find any way to fix this nor have any idea why it happens.

It’s not a ‘problem’ that can be fixed. It’s actually a very common and normal occurrence. It just reflects the reality that headphones and FRFR speakers are very different. Most players who want to have a preset sound similar when listening to headphones and to FRFR speakers find that they need to maintain two different versions of the preset, with different EQ (at least) settings. 

You will also find a noticeable difference in sound if you use different headphones, or even different FRFR speakers. Maybe not as dramatic,  but still different.

Personally, I can't stand 8" speakers...really muddy around 160-200hz as the low end rolloff is so high and the resonant frequency is just wrong for guitar...An expectation to simulate and IR of 12" speakers in an 8" platform is unrealistic in my opinion....You will get much better results in the room with 10s or 12s....Anyhoo, that's my opinion...

Make sure you don't have the contour switch punched in on that speaker....That will make things scooped and muddy too...I use ts212

On 12/2/2021 at 1:52 PM, spaceatl said:

Personally, I can't stand 8" speakers...really muddy around 160-200hz as the low end rolloff is so high and the resonant frequency is just wrong for guitar...An expectation to simulate and IR of 12" speakers in an 8" platform is unrealistic in my opinion....You will get much better results in the room with 10s or 12s....Anyhoo, that's my opinion...

Make sure you don't have the contour switch punched in on that speaker....That will make things scooped and muddy too...I use ts212

I'm also not a fan of cheaper 8" guitar speakers in small cabs but a good quality 8" in a good cab can still sound pretty good. But the Headrush FRFR108 isnt a guitar speaker. I have an FRFR108 and it sounds excellent with both my Pod Go and Tonelab TLSE. Great tone, good bottom end, great articulation and not in the slightest bit muddy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi kszak - here are a couple of things that may help:

Firstly you must use a TRS cable, not a standard guitar jack, plugged into the Main Out - Left of the Pod Go, and into one of the FRFR 108 inputs.  I set volume on FRFR108 at about 3.

Make sure your Pod Go output is set to Line Level, not instrument.  This is specified in the FRFR108 manual.

Thirdly , as mentioned by spaceatl - contour switch on the FRFR must be out, not in.

Finally if it sounds just too bassy or muddy - you need to lift the FRFR off the floor.  Place it vertically on a chair or milkcrate, and keep it away from a corner of your room.

This makes a huge difference at a better overall EQ - balance across all of your strings.  As soon as I did this I decided to keep the speaker.

Once you decide to keep it - you can get an amp stand or a PA short tripod stand.

Good luck!

On 12/3/2021 at 1:18 PM, voxman55 said:

I'm also not a fan of cheaper 8" guitar speakers in small cabs but a good quality 8" in a good cab can still sound pretty good. But the Headrush FRFR108 isnt a guitar speaker. I have an FRFR108 and it sounds excellent with both my Pod Go and Tonelab TLSE. Great tone, good bottom end, great articulation and not in the slightest bit muddy.

I don't disagree with that at all...8" can work quite well in many situations...For me, it's mainly drop tunings, heavy-punchy tones, octave FX, etc in the room with acoustic kit in a 4-5 piece situation where I find an 8" is too much of a compromise...Not that they don't work...just a bit more work on the lowend to get drop tunings and punchy stuff to punch a little on 8" in higher volume situations...just doesn't have the cone space to do it in ALL situations I find myself...erebody gotta use what works for their situation(s)...

On 12/18/2021 at 9:00 PM, spaceatl said:

I don't disagree with that at all...8" can work quite well in many situations...For me, it's mainly drop tunings, heavy-punchy tones, octave FX, etc in the room with acoustic kit in a 4-5 piece situation where I find an 8" is too much of a compromise...Not that they don't work...just a bit more work on the lowend to get drop tunings and punchy stuff to punch a little on 8" in higher volume situations...just doesn't have the cone space to do it in ALL situations I find myself...erebody gotta use what works for their situation(s)...

I get that completely. However, the FRFR108 has loads of bottom end - it's quite astonishing actually!