Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Steve Stevens delay cpu sound type control trick

themetallikid

I believe it is manipulation of a delay (time, feedback, etc) but I cannot wrap my head around how to get it.  There are 2 songs I can reference from Vince Neils 'Exposed' album.   

The Edge - intro solo starting at 0:40 (part specifically is at 0:52)

Look In Her Eyes - This middle solo has a huge solo section, it starts at 2:45, but is more melodic until 3:28, then Steve gets wilder.....delay(?) tricks start at 3:42......and end around 3:56.   

Also, while the album has its cheese moments for sure, I love the guitar work....tones and all.   I will never emulate Steve's tone here, but any ideas on getting in the ball park.  Such a crunchy, scratchy, fluid type tone.   

• Like 1

With I could help you... Steve Stevens is a monster, both as a player and in experimentation. He's created quite a niche for himself since those early "White Wedding" days. I remember taking instant notice when I heard "Flesh for Fantasy" the first time.... something very different was emerging. 

Those certainly sound like delay/modulation tricks, but I wouldn't know where to begin other than one thing...

Some of it is the effect that happens with a dramatic delay time change. (Global > Preferences > Tap Tempo Pitch). I like this set to transparent, but when set to "authentic" delays will behave erratically when the tempo is increased and/or decreased dramatically. I am hearing "some of that" in those recordings. 

There might be some "digital whammy" use going on as well. But that is an effect I have no experience in, modelled or real. 

Yeah my 'head' understanding is that its a shift in the delay repeat time.  Feedback 0 so you get 1 repeat only, 100% mix(?) and then control the delay time with the expression pedal.  I know he had some sort of custom unit next to his pedal board that he could manipulate some things live at times.   Now that you mention the whammy shift, it could be part of it...I just attributed it to his playing style/ability and just being super smooth/fluid with that sorta thing.  

Yes he is a monster...what a glorious monster to study playing wise, lol.   If I ever get to be 20% as good as him...its a good day.

I watched the video.....i'm disappointed.....  not in the audio...but that it looks like the usual Ray Gun tricks that Steve is known for with Billy Idol.  Like he said...'Oh yeah....that ray gun thing with Billy?    Watch this lollipop!"  and then recorded and duplicated it live.  

YOu can clearly see him chuck the raygun at the end of the solo.  

damn....lol

3 hours ago, themetallikid said:

I watched the video.....i'm disappointed.....  not in the audio...but that it looks like the usual Ray Gun tricks that Steve is known for with Billy Idol.  Like he said...'Oh yeah....that ray gun thing with Billy?    Watch this lollipop!"  and then recorded and duplicated it live.  

YOu can clearly see him chuck the raygun at the end of the solo.  

damn....lol

Hi,

Check the video I posted in this thread - it explains how he did the original studio Rebel Yell “ray gun”effect with a Lexicon PCM 41 delay.

Oh, yeah. In another vid he runs though his effects board, which is not that complex, in fact he doesn’t use a Whammy with a treadle, but uses the Digitech Ricochet pedal with a footswitch.

Here ya go.

Another rig run through with Pete Thorn.

Hope this helps/makes sense.