Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv 59p Vs 69

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a JTV purchase. I can't decide between the 59P and the 69. Just wanted to get others' opinions on why they prefer one over the other, other than the pickups. I know the pickups are more of a personal preference but looking for opinions outside of that. Thanks! 

It will depend largely on whether or not you're a Les Paul guy or a Strat guy...different scale lengths, neck profile ect. If you can put your hands on them both, then do that first...easier said than done though. I've never seen one hanging on the wall in a store.

I agree with crusinon2 above, it will depend on your preferences in guitar styles. I have both the 59 and the 69S, and like them both. I got the 59 first, then later the 69S when it first came out. I use the mag pups probably 80 to 90 percent of the time, and the models for alternate tunings plus special sounds, like acoustics, banjos, etc. The 59 is a beauty, love the hum buckers. I changed the single coils on the 69S to noiseless single coils, after being spoiled by not having to deal with hum...

I have been a strat player for many years, and after using an Epiphone Les Paul for a few years, I got the 59. I do find myself gravitating to the 69S more, lately. Old habits, I think...

When I compare the models on both guitars, I do find minor differences between them, mostly due to the different materials and construction styles of the two instruments. I have not found them to be very distinct when using them out live at gigs, and take both out, one to backup the other in all settings.

My 2 cents....

Dave

• Upvote 1

From what I've read, the 3 position switch does not limit the 59 at all.  You can access all 5 positions through the 3 way switch and one of the knobs.  My 69 should be arriving tomorrow and I'm stoked.

Unfortunately I cant fin either in local stores here. Is te modelling the exact same on both models? Does the 3 way switch on the 59P provide huge limitations?

99.68% of this decision will boil down to personal preference. The switch thing too...as far as I'm concerned, one 5 way switch is infinitely easier to operate on the fly than a 3 way switch plus a button, but thats just me...you might not care, and obviously there are plenty of guys for whom its not an issue. I'm also not a big fan of the Les Paul-like ergonomics of the guitar itself...so I never really looked at the 59.

The models and tunings are all the same, and you shouldn't notice much of a difference, except perhaps with sustain. Generally a set neck will give you a little more sustain than a bolt-on, but the 69's are very resonant guitars and they ring like a bell. Mine sustains better than my Am. Std. Strat.

• Upvote 1

From what I've read, the 3 position switch does not limit the 59 at all.  You can access all 5 positions through the 3 way switch and one of the knobs.  My 69 should be arriving tomorrow and I'm stoked.

After driving 250 miles to Boston in order to find a store with both a 69 and 59 in stock,  I bought the former for two reasons:  The neck was replaceable if I didn't like it (and it turns out I didn't) and you could select all five positions with one hand.  It just seemed like having to use both hands for pickup changes would be problematic.

I love the 59's look but I have to agree the 3 way switch is a deal breaker. The only thing I can say it's useful for having the 3 way switch is if you want just that, to have a 3 way switch and not accidentally over/undershoot the selector. 

Switching between 1-3-5 and 2-3-4 seems annoying though if you're in the middle of a song so I'd prefer to have the 5 way switch.

Anyways, if I'd get a JTV i'd get the 69s because I've been growing into a strat/tele person. The 59 is beautiful and great though.

After driving 250 miles to Boston in order to find a store with both a 69 and 59 in stock,  I bought the former for two reasons:  The neck was replaceable if I didn't like it (and it turns out I didn't) and you could select all five positions with one hand.  It just seemed like having to use both hands for pickup changes would be problematic.

250 miles? Wow...man on a mission. I don't think I'd drive 250 miles if I needed a kidney transplant, lol.

Next time just buy whatever it is from Sweetwater, play it for a month and return it no questions asked if ya don't like it. If nothing else it'll save you about $80 in gas...

250 miles? Wow...man on a mission. I don't think I'd drive 250 miles if I needed a kidney transplant, lol.

Next time just buy whatever it is from Sweetwater, play it for a month and return it no questions asked if ya don't like it. If nothing else it'll save you about $80 in gas...

I just don't feel right about taking advantage of liberal return policies.  Also, that wouldn't have given me both instruments side by side to play with.

I just don't feel right about taking advantage of liberal return policies.  Also, that wouldn't have given me both instruments side by side to play with.

You're a better man than I....lol. True, you couldn't a/b them, unless you bought both, knowing you'd return one (even I wouldn't do that). But even if you did, you're not taking advantage of them...they make their own rules.

I ended up getting the 59p (gold top). Seems like most people prefer the 69 for the pickup switch and the strat feel. I have to admit that the looks of the guitar was a factor in picking one over the other, again a personal preference. Thanks for everyone's feedback!