Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELIX/USB/Mac OSX

RSpringer

Relative newbie here trying to address an old problem I've had connecting the Helix Floor to a Mac.  Due to a tired Mac, I've recently switching from a 2013 iMac to a Mac mini M1, which has resurfaced this old thorn in my side.  For a number of years I thought it was just a control issue Mac has over volume control.  That is, while connecting Helix via USB and navigate to sound preferences in (System Preferences>Sound) and select Helix Audio as Input & Output, I no longer have control over the Mac's volume control and it is set too maximum.  So, the only way to control volume is with the Helix volume control...which reduces guitar output the same rate.  In essence, I am unable to balance the sounds between my instrument and the Mac.  I've read elsewhere here that it's a driver issue.  When I go to Audio Midi Setup in the OSX, it shows Helix Audio; however, I'm unable to make any changes to the Input/Output of the Helix Audio Driver.  I have NOT downloaded Line 6's Core Audio Drivers due to mixed messages after searching here on this forum.  I have; however, updated Helix Floor & HX Edits to 3.11.  I've read similar issues here who is on a Mac, but his solution does not work (i.e. Helix Driver in Audio Midi Setup does not want to play with me).  

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

So you have left out some vital info......

Are you listening through speakers connected to the Mac, or are you using speakers connected to the Helix?

I'm using a mac.

I have my speakers connected to the Helix.

I use HX Edit to control the Helix. (HX Edit seems to be necessary)

I have Helix audio selected as my input and output normally, although I think it only matters that it's my output.

I feed my stereo amp/speakers from the headphone jack - gives me a master volume control on the Helix (guitar and Mac audio because my Mac audio is going through the Helix)

I have volume control of the material coming from the Mac on the Mac - but I always have a volume pedal in all my patches - that means I can match my guitar level using the volume pedal or increase volume on the Mac  - both work.

I'm not using an M1 mac (last of the intel models.......) but am running latest OS.

I've never used any drivers other than native Mac audio.

I can't tell you if there is any discernible difference from the normal outputs and the headphone outs, but I'm pretty happy with the results I get when I plug into my FRFR and PA (using main output jacks and XLRs)- I've now got something that gives me pretty much what I'm expecting. ( I do have good studio monitors)

One thing I find is USB-c cables on Macs are very fussy - you seem to need a good cable to get a reliable connection - I've used some adaptors with mixed results.

I personally don't think drivers are your issue - more likely the master slave relationship of the audio interface.  (I'm assuming you aren't using a seperate interface only the Helix and are connecting the Mac by USB?)

47 minutes ago, RSpringer said:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I have always been able to easily select my Helix as the audio interface for my Mac. Playback of audio, including the volume, from iTunes, YouTube, etc., is usually very simply managed with the built in iMac volume control. From the menu bar select Helix as the sound output device rather than the built in speakers. I have used this setting everyday, from first linking up my Helix floor way back in 2015, using an iMac Retina 5k 27” on High Sierra. Powered 8 inch Tannoy Reveal monitors on XLR connection on Helix.

If you need to control the playback volume even more, then use the USB Input Trim from under the Global Settings > Ins/Outs.

Check the Helix 3.0 Owner’s Manual - Rev F - English 

Page 63

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3f041b611d61cac763b/application/pdf/Helix 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev F - English .pdf

Hope this helps/makes sense.

7 minutes ago, datacommando said:

From the menu bar select Helix as the sound output device rather than the built in speakers.

datacommando,

Thank you for the quick reply. You are right in that it is that easy, which is why I didn't even suggest it....My bad.  While I do select Helix Audio (usually pops up automatically on the Mac's screen when booting up Helix) I am then unable to control overall output volume of the OS; it locks the main volume (grayed out) at full volume.  Accessing the Audio Midi Setup was supposed to fix that, but it does not.

Thanks again.

Are you listening through speakers connected to the Mac, or are you using speakers connected to the Helix?

I'm using a mac.

I have poor speakers so don't use them for music.  As such, it's with headphones plugged directly into the Helix.  However, now that you mention it, neither Mac has sent Helix Signal to the other speakers...even after selecting External Speakers as the output signal.  Hmmm...sounding like a driver problem...?

Plugging headphones into speaker jack obviously has no effect.

I have volume control of the material coming from the Mac on the Mac - but I always have a volume pedal in all my patches - that means I can match my guitar level using the volume pedal or increase volume on the Mac

I have volume control of third party devices (i.e. Song Surgeon, Logic Pro, etc). However, the OS's master volume is grayed out and lock on full volume when Helix Audio is selected. As stated above, and in other threads, the Audio Midi Setup is suppose to allow me to adjust that control by 'selecting/deselecting mute' but all those selection boxes are also grayed out.  As I'm talking through this with you all, I'm thinking it sounding more like a driver issue...I'm just looking to see if Line 6 has addressed issues associated with the Apple Silicon chip in the latest Line 6 Core Audio Driver.  

I personally don't think drivers are your issue - more likely the master slave relationship of the audio interface.  (I'm assuming you aren't using a seperate interface only the Helix and are connecting the Mac by USB?)

Helix is connected via USB; however, the master/slave relationship of the Mac is all grayed out (which can be found in Audio Midi Setup), which again seems like a driver issue.  

I have also looked at the settings within Helix as well and find nothing of concern.

Thank you rvroberts, I do appreciate your thoughts.

43 minutes ago, RSpringer said:

However, the OS's master volume is grayed out and lock on full volume when Helix Audio is selected.

Hi again,

I think you are misunderstanding the way this works. When Helix Audio is selected, the Helix floor become your audio interface for both in and out, rather than the Mac Mini. Using the Audio/MIDI Setup app on the Mac should allow you to choose the Helix as the audio input and the speakers connected to your Mac as the audio output. 

What you are describing seems to be more of a problem with the Mac software and speaker configuration, than the Helix.

EDIT:

This may help.

Edited by datacommando
Added video link

23 minutes ago, datacommando said:

What you are describing seems to be more of a problem with the Mac software and speaker configuration, than the Helix.

Thanks for the video, but I have some familiarity with Audio Midi Setup.  Again I'm unable to control the master volume of songs, iTune, Youtube, etc. coming from the Mac when the Helix is plugged-in (Helix Audio in's and out's) while the headphones plugged into Helix.

With Helix plugged in, I go to the top right corner and select speaker, and a drop down window opens,  I have several selections (External Headphones, Mac mini Speakers, External Speakers, etc),  When I select Helix Audio, the volume scroll bar at the top of that drop down window becomes grayed out.and locked in the full high position.  It was shared that you could adjust that volume; however, I can not.  

In system preferences, under Helix Audio, it says "The selected device has no volume controls".   I get that I can't control the Helix Volume through the OSX, but why am I also locked out of the Master volume for Big Sur?   

The video suggest making an aggregate device, but that still does not address my issue; namely, the Master volume in Big Sur is too hot even when adjusting volume of songs, iTune, Youtube, etc.  It just overpowers my instrument.  

I may just bypass the Helix audio driver and run through an interface  i.e. Focusright.  This way I should retain master volume of Big Sur.

11 hours ago, RSpringer said:

In system preferences, under Helix Audio, it says "The selected device has no volume controls".   I get that I can't control the Helix Volume through the OSX, but why am I also locked out of the Master volume for Big Sur?   

Hi,

My guess this is something in the audio configuration on the Mac that is causing the problem. I’m not a Big Sur user, and I’m trying to avoid it as long as possible, due to how many issues I have seen reported by other users.

As I stated earlier, my Mac is hooked up on USB to my Helix and monitors, and used daily for many years with no problems such as the one you have encountered. It allows me to record, and re-amp, using any of several DAWs available on the Mac (Logic Pro mainly), iTunes (for backing tracks), plus the audio from YouTube videos etc. All flawless, not a glitch.

O.K. If the signal from your Mac Mini is too hot, and overpowering your guitar, you can use the Trim function on USB 1& 2 (unprocessed audio from the Mac) to lower it so that you have a better balance between the backing track and the Helix via the Helix phones socket. See my previous post with the link to the relevant section of the manual.

The Helix should be a plug and play unit with the Mac (USB Class Compliant), but the additional Line 6 driver allows you to use the the full range of sample rates up to 96kHz. You can use it right out of the box - albeit on the sample rate of 48kHz.

You can add the Focusrite, which will add another round of AD/DA to the signal, but - hey! I ditched my Focusrite interface when I fell into the trap of buying a Mac that no longer supported FireWire, and Thunderbolt is just another ridiculous expense. The Helix has worked just fine on USB, although I do have a cheapo, cheapo Behringer UMC204HD box as a fail safe backup.

EDIT:

I’m not sure if this is relevant, as I don’t use BS, but it appears to me that the sound volume control is changed and now seems to be hidden in a new drop down menu item.

Edited by datacommando
Added video

• 1 year later...

Had the same issue, MacOS Ventura 13.1 - Apple M1 2020 and when I selected Helix as the sound output the volume bar was disabled on Mac, didn`t solve the issue, but this helped me a lot: 

If you need to control the playback volume even more, then use the USB Input Trim from under the Global Settings > Ins/Outs.

Check the Helix 3.0 Owner’s Manual - Rev F - English 

Page 63

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3f041b611d61cac763b/application/pdf/Helix 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev F - English .pdf

Thanks @datacommando