Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Upgraded Variax HD Patches/Bundles

jbsoundideas

58 minutes ago, jbsoundideas said:

... I tried to purchase the packages thru Marketplace but they require a Helix, Pod etc to use them.

Is there a specific statement that says this? I would find that surprising. You will need Workbench HD to load the Variax presets into your guitar, but the USB Workbench Hardware interface will do that job. It should have come with your Variax Standard.

EDIT: I think Marketplace hosts two types of Variax-type presets. Some do seem to be Helix presets with Variax control parameters. These do require a Helix device since they are, in fact, Helix presets. But many Variax bundles on Marketplace seem to be Variax presets which will work on your Variax independently - no other Line 6 device required. As mentioned earlier, they require Workbench HD to load them onto your Variax guitar. Some of these also specify that Helix preset(s) are included in the package but that's a bonus for Helix owners, not a usage requirement.

I find this interesting so I took a more detailed look. It is confusing since, as I noted above, some bundles seem to be Helix presets and others are Variax presets. How do you tell the difference? Not easy. I think the only way to definitively tell from the Marketplace info is to purchase the bundle, unpack it, and inspect the file types.

For instance, there's one by Peter Hamm that seems to me to be Helix presets designed specifically for use with Variax guitars. To use these as designed you need both a Helix device and a Variax guitar. Similarly, Eric Broadbent's offering seem to be a Helix preset bundle designed for use with a Variax. By contrast, Chad Huskey's offerings seem to be Variax preset bundles. These should load onto a Variax guitar using Workbench HD. Some of Chad's Variax bundles seem to include one or more Helix presets as a bonus - not a requirement.

But as I said - this is my interpretation of the Marketplace descriptions. I suggest you contact the seller directly before purchasing any of these. Make sure you understand what you're buying.

If anyone can direct me to where the patches are  that do NOT require a Line 6 product for authorization, please do.

I use Workbench HD with my Standard.

I  purchased a large collection on Marketplace  and  the instructions stated :

Helix Native

• Download the latest version of Helix Native at https://line6.com/download-helix-native.
  • Run the Helix Native installer. We suggest you temporarily disable all third party antivirus programs during installation. Follow the prompts and restart your computer if required.
  • Launch your DAW, plug-in host, or recording software, and insert Helix Native into an audio track as an effect. (Note: the plug-in may also be used via an aux bus.)
  • Click "Authorize This Computer" or the blue link displayed in the dialog.
  • Click here to view Helix Native tutorial videos and knowledge base articles.

So then Line 6 informed me:

Hello jbsoundideas. Your Line 6 Support Ticket was updated with the following message:

Hi Jeff, Thanks for reaching out. Per the product description page: Files purchased on âHELIX Marketplaceâ are proprietary, and are intended for use solely with Line 6 Hardware, currently HELIX Floor, Helix Rack, HELIX LT, HX Stomp, HX Effects and POD Go. The files may not be compatible with third-party or non-Line 6 products. I'll go ahead and submit the refund request. All the best, Hodgy Customer Support Team Yamaha Guitar Group, Inc. Home of the Service Plus Extended Warranty - shop.line6.com

I find that confusing. Helix Native has nothing to do with Variax bundles, and Variax and Workbench HD are Line 6 products. Perhaps Line 6 has decided not to host Variax offerings in their Marketplace but I would find that odd.

I would try to contact Chad directly; he has a website. The Marketplace description of his Tweaked Complete Bundle is clearly a Variax preset bundle, not Helix (except for a single Helix preset that you can simply ignore). I see no reason that it can’t be loaded into your Variax Standard using Workbench HD. 

There may be a strange licensing/authorization issue whereby Marketplace requires you to be a registered owner of one of their listed hardware products (which does.not include Variax). If so then that is the reason one might be unable to download from the Marketplace. But Chad could likely sell the bundle to you directly, bypassing the Marketplace.

Well, you could try purchasing the item from Marketplace and try to load the bundle into your Variax using Workbench HD. If it works, great. If not you can apply for a refund using a pointer to this thread for justification.

Note: By 'the item' I specifically mean the aforementioned Tweaked Complete Bundle which I am almost 100% sure is a Variax guitar bundle. If there are other Marketplace items you're wondering about you can mention them here and I will try to help you figure out what exactly they are based on their description.

On 12/16/2021 at 12:09 PM, silverhead said:

How do you tell the difference? Not easy. I think the only way to definitively tell from the Marketplace info is to purchase the bundle, unpack it, and inspect the file types.

Ah, yes... this sounds familiar. They've taken a page from the Congressional Advertising Handbook... "We have to pass the bill to find out what's in it".

This won't pi$$ anybody off... lmao.

They told me I have to use a Helix to get this. 

Helix Native

• Download the latest version of Helix Native at https://line6.com/download-helix-native.
  • Run the Helix Native installer. We suggest you temporarily disable all third party antivirus programs during installation. Follow the prompts and restart your computer if required.
  • Launch your DAW, plug-in host, or recording software, and insert Helix Native into an audio track as an effect. (Note: the plug-in may also be used via an aux bus.)
  • Click "Authorize This Computer" or the blue link displayed in the dialog.
  • Click here to view Helix Native tutorial videos and knowledge base articles.

So then Line 6 informed me:

Hello jbsoundideas. Your Line 6 Support Ticket was updated with the following message:

Hi Jeff, Thanks for reaching out. Per the product description page: Files purchased on âHELIX Marketplaceâ are proprietary, and are intended for use solely with Line 6 Hardware, currently HELIX Floor, Helix Rack, HELIX LT, HX Stomp, HX Effects and POD Go. The files may not be compatible with third-party or non-Line 6 products. I'll go ahead and submit the refund request. All the best, Hodgy Customer Support Team Yamaha Guitar Group, Inc. Home of the Service Plus Extended Warranty - shop.line6.com

You don't need a Helix device to install and run the Helix Native product if you pay full price for it. With a new Helix device you will be able to purchase Helix Native at a discount, or even get it free at certain times depending on any Line 6 special offers.

Try downloading and installing it. It will give you a free trial period. Note that Helix Native does not run standalone, with or without a Helix device. It is a plug-in, designed to run within a DAW host (an audio  recording program).