Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Patch changing latency Pod Go vs Pod Xt

kjoiner100

Hello,

I've had a Pod XT for around 18 years and switch patches with an FBV shortboard.  Yesterday I bought a Pod Go Wireless to modernize my setup.  I have not tried out the Pod Go yet but I've noticed lots of talk regarding delays when changing patches and recommendations to staying within a patch and using snapshots to avoid loading new amps etc.  

I like to have a clean patch and an overdrive or distorted patch and switch between them.  

On my Pod XT an example would be the clean Eric Johnson patch and and the distorted Eric Johnson patch.  The clean is using a fender twin type amp and the distorted on is using a Marshall type amp.  I can switch between them with no noticeable latency.

Will there be an issue with trying to do something similar with the Pod Go.  Surely almost 20 years of tech advancement avoids this issue.  

I'll try the Pod Go for real in the next day or two but I want to get opinions on whether I'll run into this problem trying to mimic a multi amp setup. 

Thanks,

Kyle

Edited by kjoiner100
Misspelled word

44 minutes ago, kjoiner100 said:

On my Pod XT an example would be the clean Eric Johnson patch and and the distorted Eric Johnson patch.  The clean is using a fender twin type amp and the distorted on is using a Marshall type amp.  I can switch between them with no noticeable latency.

Will there be an issue with trying to do something similar with the Pod Go.  Surely almost 20 years of tech advancement avoids this issue.  

You can't use two separate amps on the POD Go within a single preset. However, I would be surprised if you can't find a way to use the same amp with different parameter settings, and perhaps different FX blocks, to get a good result using snapshots.

As for the 20 yrs of tech advancement..... the gap when switching presets is caused by having to load a new preset with all its detailed specifications to replace the old one. The 20 yrs has given us much faster processors as well as a huge amount of extra data (RAM requirement) in preset specifications. If the processor speed is quadrupled (say) and the amount of data has increased by a factor of eight... will the preset switching be faster or slower? I don't know, but it's possible that the net effect in terms of delay might even be greater than it was.

@silverhead  thanks for getting back to me.  So in general are users staying within a patch and just using snapshots?  Is it not recommended to change patches during a song?  I'm sure once I get the Pod Go up and running I figure out a lot.  I'm just trying to determine if I need to change my methods for going from clean to dirty.

28 minutes ago, kjoiner100 said:

….  So in general are users staying within a patch and just using snapshots?  Is it not recommended to change patches during a song?  …

It depends on your playing style and the switching requirements. Personally, I can easily switch presets during a song as long as I do it at a point in the song when I’m not actively strumming. There’s usually time for a half-second pause (plenty of time for the preset swap to occur) between note strum/pluck. The only time it’s an issue is if you really, really need to switch presets while strumming without pause. Easy enough to manage around in my experience..

preset changing is not really that different than a POD XT...tiny little gap...It won't be any better or worse than an XT imo...snapshots is really the way to go for seamless stuff...If you need two amps seamless, then HX Stomp XL is a better choice than a GO...Same DSP power makes that challenging and likely needing some outboard stuff...The form-factor is identical to the GO minus an expression pedal...You could do two amp models and toggle a snapshot...However, you will likely run out of dsp ias 2 amp models can eat up most to all of it depending on the model...You run out of dsp really fast with two amps and one IR on a Stomp...may not have enough left depending for the FX you want...I use an HX Stomp XL with outboard stuff and would never use two amp models on a toggle...It's doable, just not what I need...If the GO switches presets fast enough for you then you are fine....If you want seamless, it's snapshots....I think an LT is the minimum for seamless amp switching with onboard FX...Doable with an HX Stomp or XL with dsp challenges...

1 hour ago, kjoiner100 said:

Thanks for the replies and details.  I'll finally get to power it on tonight so I'll explore the behavior when switching patches.  Lot's of new features to learn.

And most important...read the manual! - and the various vids inc short ones from Line 6 are all good too. 

• 2 weeks later...