Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix with DT50

Paulzx

Hello All,

Just wondered if there was a definitive way to use the Helix with a DT50 now? I have seen it mentioned that you need to update the amp to the latest version,

but does that allow for the Link cable to be used, or is it more complicated? My aim would be to turn off the amp and cab sims in the Helix and just have the

effects running through the amp, which I assume would be the best way to do it?

Yes, you would need to update the amp firmware to enable full control of amp model selection and parameter settings from a Helix preset. You would also benefit from using a program called DT Edit (a free non-Line 6 product) though it’s not necessary. I think you may also need midi cables; I’m not sure this is done via L6 Link.

If you’re not planning to use the Helix amp/cab modeling you might find that the HX FX product is more suited to your needs. My son-in-law has an HX FX a with a DT-25 amp. I helped him set it up for full amp control using midi, 4CM, and HX FX presets. It works very well. I’m sure the same capabilities are in the Helix device.

• Like 1

I wrote a little reference document for my son-in-law at the time. It’s written in the first person and directed at him. It’s not to be considered official Line 6 documentation in any way, and parts of it may in fact be wrong. It also references some companion work that I did both on his computer and on his HX FX device. Obviously nobody else has this stuff but I think it’s sufficiently well described that it can be recreated.

Some readers may find it useful so I attach it here for your reading pleasure! Questions for clarification will be accepted. Criticism will be ignored. If you find it helpful, great. If not move on.

HX:DT - ReadMe.docx

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2021 at 1:57 PM, silverhead said:

I wrote a little reference document for my son-in-law at the time. It’s written in the first person and directed at him. It’s not to be considered official Line 6 documentation in any way, and parts of it may in fact be wrong. It also references some companion work that I did both on his computer and on his HX FX device. Obviously nobody else has this stuff but I think it’s sufficiently well described that it can be recreated.

Some readers may find it useful so I attach it here for your reading pleasure! Questions for clarification will be accepted. Criticism will be ignored. If you find it helpful, great. If not move on.

HX:DT - ReadMe.docx 14.57 kB · 3 downloads

Excellent, thanks, I'll take a look.

I'm currently running my Helix through some Yamaha HS7 FR monitors and I do like them, however, I have got a DT50 which is just sat in the corner of the room, I used it

with the HD500 then sold it but kept the amp. I just got curious what it would sound like running the Helix with just it's effects, through the DT50.. an experiment really.

I don't expect it to sound better than the monitor speakers, but if it did, that would be a nice problem to have!

If you run the Helix and DT50 4cm, it's going to sound very good.  I used to do that with my HX Effects and the DT25.   Though the Helix has better preamp and amp sims than the HD amp sims in the DT50 so I just use the Helix amp models.  Comparing my Helix using full amp models and line6 link to my DT25's blows away my going to my JBL monitors, and its even better than my powercab 112+ in my opinion.  

• 3 months later...

If you use Helix to DT50 via L6Link you could set the parameters on DT50 thru HxEdit. Saddly, some parameters are not accesibles via HxEdit, and when you use L6Link you lost the Midi connection with DT50. I think it is a bug need to be corrected.