Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX stomp to boss katana power amp in.

KonstaFirehawk

I have a question about using HX stomp with katana 50 MKII's power amp in. Is plugging the stomp to the power amp in ideal? Can I use the HX preamps, amps, cabs and IRs? Are preamps only option with that power amp? Katana's speaker isn't a FRFR speaker so is that a problem. Should I consider selling the katana and buying a FRFR?

rd2rk has essentially answered the question.  

A lot of people seem truely concerned about stuff that doesn't matter.

Helix amps might as well be preamps - they are just models and don't put out a level that is incompatible with a power amp.

Using a poweramp (Katana) that is not full range may result in the model not sounding exactly as intended - but it still might sound good.

So try it.

If you like it - then you are done - if you really think it's important to produce accurate models of real world amps - go FRFR - but even then you will need to adjust based on the fact that no FRFR is 100% perfect at all volume levels.

Plugging stomp to power amp in didn't sound quite good. I also tried plugging it in on the front input and using the "acoustic amp type" on katana. Modeling an amp sounded actually much worse than the katana on its own. Cabinet sims ofcourse didn't sound right. Now, any recommendations for a FRFR type speaker or some other speaker? Also thanks for the answers, still learning.

I always use my Helix in 4CM with a Koch Powertone Head and 4x12 cab. You do need to expirement some with levels but i have no doubt that helix into a Katana poweramp sounds great. You just need to spend some time with it. I use the full amp model (no cab, but power amp modeling included) to get the best sounds for me. I just prefer having the power amp modeling on. Make sure levels are set right and it should sound pretty badass.

Using an FRFR or Studio Monitors would certainly provide a much wider audio palette allowing you to hear whatever you have configured on your Helix. This is precisely why so many enjoy using FRFR or Studio Monitors. So many others prefer an Amp In The Room (AITR) listening experience. There is no wrong! 

Re FRFR, there are many to choose from, and people have made almost any of them work from what I’ve read. I tried the QSC K10 and found I could not get rid of a low mid bump. Highs were harsh too, but that’s my experience. Ended up with a PowerCab 112+, which I like better. Note that the helix sounds best cranked up - I forget the technical name of that effect. Good luck!

I used to run my Helix into the effects loop in of my Boss Katana 100. I disabled all cab sims in the helix and only used preamp models. The reason for this was I read somewhere that the Katana actually tried to model an EL34 power section. The end result was pretty impressive in my opinion. Certainly not perfect, but that amp in the room sound was definitely there. Worthy of note was that this did not work equally well for every preamp block - some sounded great and others were less than desirable.

if I recall correctly, however, the Katana 50 doesn’t have an effects loop so you could try just running a preamp block into the front of the katana on a clean channel (not the acoustic setting) if you haven’t yet and you might get lucky.

As far as FRFR’s go I’ve found that my preference always comes back to the Powercab Plus, which I know isn’t the most budget friendly option but to my ears it just sounds “right” and I spend more time playing and less time tweaking my gear.

I saw a video of Pete Thorn trying out the Headrush FRFR’s and he didn’t seem to have many negative things to say but I don’t have any direct experience with them. There’s also a YouTube video from 5 Watt World where the guy talks specifically about what makes the Powercab such a great match for the HX stomp specifically - you may find his opinions valuable.

With anything I recommend buying from a local GC or even Sweetwater (whenever possible) so you can return things you don’t like. I actually bought a Powercab Plus years ago from GC but returned it at the time. I ended up buying another one recently and I love it because nothing else worked as seamlessly as the Powercab - they really are made for each other and it shows in the final result.

Just my $0.02 - YMMV